Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 605 times

Devilskin supported by Shepards Reign

Post by Lawrence »

San Fran Thursday 8 Oct

Shepards Reign were fantastic - a great take on bringing some of Polynesia into metal. Tight, distinctive and fun. I recommend checking them out!

Devilskin did an acoustic set for the VIP early entrants - pretty interesting to hear these songs in a softer format. Worked well>

The later set was classic Devilskin. I think even the band were amazed at how many of the audience knew the words to every song. Nails continues to be a solid performer with the right amount of down-home riffing and the occasional bit of shred to add variety - great player.
Father and son rhythm section is about as solid as it could be , and Jenny brought all the voice to the show from growls, screams and melody.

AS always the early album material got the biggest cheers and sing-along but lots of love for RED as well. If you haven't checked out Sweet Release it is a tear jerker...

I caught up with Bass Player Paul who Ive known since the early Knightshade days - Covid has hit them hard shutting things down just as the US tour with Halestorm was to begin. I hope they can hang in till the US opens up again.

I know there are not a lot of fans here but I have a lot of faith in this band.
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Re: Devilskin supported by Shepards Reign

Post by mrmofo »

knightshade, were they an 80`s metal band?
late 80`s, i`m sure i`ve seen them play a few times.
i saw one of Devilskins first shows at that small place down that ally in new lynn.

i knew they were good the first time i saw them. so great that they have done so well.
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Lawrence »

mrmofo wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:01 am knightshade, were they an 80`s metal band?
i saw one of Devilskins first shows at that small place down that ally in new lynn.

i knew they were good the first time i saw them. so great that they have done so well.
Paul Martin, the Devilskin bass player, was the second Guitarist in Knightshade when I worked on their first EP. He played the whammy bar bits in their first single "Out for the Count"
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

Lawrence wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:25 pm
mrmofo wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:01 am knightshade, were they an 80`s metal band?

Paul Martin, the Devilskin bass player, was the second Guitarist in Knightshade when I worked on their first EP. He played the whammy bar bits in their first single "Out for the Count"
Did they open for Steve Vai back in the 90s?
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Lawrence »

hamo wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:54 pm

dont think so....
they did open for ZZ Top (my only Western Springs mix) Guns and Roses, Barnesy...The Angels, Bon JoviDeep Purple...
More a rock band than a virtuoso band - tho both Rik Bernards and Craig Pollock (and Gavin Lind previously) are all extremely proficient shredders when they want.
GrantB wrote:

hamo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 632 times
Been liked: 802 times

Post by hamo »

Lawrence wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:55 am
hamo wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:54 pm

dont think so....
they did open for ZZ Top (my only Western Springs mix) Guns and Roses, Barnesy...The Angels, Bon JoviDeep Purple...
More a rock band than a virtuoso band - tho both Rik Bernards and Craig Pollock (and Gavin Lind previously) are all extremely proficient shredders when they want.
Wonder who I'm thinking of then. :think:
Aquila Rosso wrote:I don't a mind an iced tea rimjob one little bit :congrats:
Molly wrote:Trousers are no substitute for talent
druz wrote:I present to you, the whogivesafuckocaster

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

Lawrence wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:25 am
I know there are not a lot of fans here but I have a lot of faith in this band.
I've really enjoyed Devilskin since they first started touring down here in CHCH and have managed to catch them live many times and have never been disappointed, even when they played the f***ing aweful Bedford Leaky Tent a few years back and all the beer was crap and served from cans.

Last year was a real treat, they headlined one of the first shows at the newly refurbished Christchurch Town Hall. I took the then 11 year old along and he eventually ended up hanging on the rail right at the front in front of Nail for the whole show. Nail was amazing, flicked a pick at Jack, sent his Guitar Tech down with some picks for him as well, and then later jumped into the security zone during one of the solo parts and let Jack strum the strings etc. What a superb treat for a very short 11 year old rocker, and now lifelong Devilskin fan I'm sure.

I hope they weather the current storms and get to break out in the US a bit. Really love the new album.

Timing and R18 has meant we haven't been able to catch them in Christchurch this tour which was a shame given how tough they've all had it.

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

sty wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:00 pm
even when they played the f***ing aweful Bedford Leaky Tent a few years back and all the beer was crap and served from cans.
I was at that show also, I think Sopachargers band opened for them iir.

They opened for Slash in Akl when I saw them last and smashed it. Great live act, and I have quite a few of their tunes on my gym playlist :thumbup:
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

chur wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:23 pm
sty wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:00 pm
even when they played the f***ing aweful Bedford Leaky Tent a few years back and all the beer was crap and served from cans.
I was at that show also, I think Sopachargers band opened for them iir.
That's the one, I saw Mark support them a couple of times if memory serves right.

At the town hall they were supported by two other good kiwi acts, Black Smoke Trigger and Like A Storm, both impressive, wish I'd bought the Like a Storm vinyl as it's proved impossible to get since the show without paying a small fortune

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

meh, just buy the 8-track, its a superior format and available at woolworths.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.