Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 1040 times

Re: Dire Straits

Post by kdawg2a »

Slowy wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:33 pm
kdawg2a wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:29 pm You guys all know he has no indie, shoe gaze, goth, surf, hip hop, r&b, gangsta cross over right?

Shoe gaze & sorta surfy? surf
Nice try Slowy but I'm not falling for listening to ol' mumble face!
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Bg wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:54 pm You made three points....

You didn't like bacon roll song

You enjoyed noodling to the first dire straits album

He used to use Reinhardt amps.

Which one did you want to lead with :P just saying rasssssssssssspppppppppperrrrrrrbbbbbbbbbbbbyyyyyyyy
I couldn't decide so went with a scatter-gun approach.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

and yet that still makes no sense...

My cats breath smells of cat food.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

dayl
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 446 times
Been liked: 385 times

Post by dayl »

jeremyb wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:55 am Always dug his guitar playing, and watching a recent video of brothers in arms live it brought a glisten to the eyes...

that was an amazing listen. It's like the song aged like a fine wine or waited for him to grow into it. What a master.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Dharmajester wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:23 pm
Molly wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:18 pm He used to use Reinhardt amps (pretty high gain as far as I know). These days I believe he's using Kemper live.
He was using the Reinhardt Storm which was Bob's take on a Jcm 800. Odd choice I thought ( as did Bob haha )
I think a JCM800 makes a lot of sense, isn't it essentially the same kind of thing as a JTM45? Classic tube Marshall with a little more gain?

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 377 times

Post by Dharmajester »

rickenbackerkid wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:31 pm
I think a JCM800 makes a lot of sense, isn't it essentially the same kind of thing as a JTM45? Classic tube Marshall with a little more gain?
Well they both say Marshall on the front but other than that apples and oranges.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

Dharmajester wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:09 am
rickenbackerkid wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:31 pm
Well they both say Marshall on the front but other than that apples and oranges.
Citrus and oil.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

I love Mark Knopfler's tones. He has a few very different ones - that strat quack, les paul breathing, etc. Great player. I'm also a fan of his voice.

He has done some corny stuff - but i'm just a little bit younger than the average dire straits fan so I was never sure if they were consciously corny or if they thought that stuff was cool. Twisting by the Pool etc doesn't seem to be serious.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Post by werdna »

Delayman wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:34 pm He has done some corny stuff - but i'm just a little bit younger than the average dire straits fan so I was never sure if they were consciously corny or if they thought that stuff was cool. Twisting by the Pool etc doesn't seem to be serious.
He's serious all right. Most of the famous musicians who were teenagers in England in the late 50s and early 60s were blown away by rock and rock and rockabilly. After they were famous and could do what they wanted, they started playing that style.
Billy Joel: It's All Rock n Roll to Me, Uptown Girl, Tell Her About It
Jeff Beck: a whole album covering Cliff Gallup
Jimmy Page: covers of Elvis songs at Led Zep concerts
Robert Plant: his Honeydrippers work with Brian Setzer.
Paul McCartney: a cover album of old rockers the name of which I forget.
I was too young, don't get the excitement at all. You had to have lived in the depressing 1950s ...
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Twisting by the pool is an abomination and an aberration, made him some money though so...
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7688 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Listened to a playlist on Spotify today, he seems to use the same riff a lot on the lesser known songs...
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.