WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 352 times

Bob Dylan: The Original Mono Recordings

Post by WellyBlues »

Got this CD box set from the library. First 8 albums in Mono.

Very good. I'm not a hard core fan of Dylan but this is great. I hear in Mono anyway so this is perfect. He was good from the get-go. And got better. To think he was only about 21 when he wrote Masters of War in 1962 is testament to his talent. And his vocals aren't as nasal as they were later.

Good booklet as well, with a good essay on why mono is right for these albums. Essentially argues that stereo was originally to replicate the concert experience of, say, violins on one side of the stage and cellos on the other. Early rock/pop stereo recordings (the 1960s) simply put different instruments thru left and right channels which wasn't how they really were meant to sound. Interesting.

Haven't seen this in the shops but if I could get it at the right price I'd definitely get it.
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Re: Bob Dylan: The Original Mono Recordings

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Thanks for the heads up, I do like a bit of Dylan, esp. his early work.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Re: Bob Dylan: The Original Mono Recordings

Post by griff »

Yeah thanks. Love Dylan