The Police

Let us know where you are playing (and give us free tickets)

Moderator: Capt. Black

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

The Police

Post by werdna »

In 1981 I saw the Police at the Logan Campbell Centre. At the time I was into the Buzzcocks and Sex Pistols and I thought bands like the Police were not hard core enough. At the concert, Sting jumped around in green overalls playing bass and singing and never missing a note. Andy Summers played it all just like the records. SC on the drums was astonishing and technical. I'd only gone to the concert because of some girls, and at the time I tried not to like the concert, trying to be faithful to punk music, but to this day, they're one of the tightest, high energy bands I've ever seen and I'd bet they would kick the ar#es of most famous bands.

Has anyone ever seen them in concert?
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Re: The Police

Post by sizzlingbadger »

No, but my mum was at school with Andy Summers.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

JoeBlow
Gibson
Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 207 times

Post by JoeBlow »

Haven't seen them, but have been listening to them a lot lately. Currently thrashing Spirits in the Material World and Walking on the Moon. I like the drumming in both songs. The little bing and tings, tickling the hi-hat.

Good band.

blackstratblues
Gibson
Has liked: 412 times
Been liked: 487 times

Post by blackstratblues »

I saw them in 1980 when they played Bombay, I was 6 months old and taken along as the parents didn’t have a babysitter at the time. Luckily I got to see them again at Western Springs in 2008 when I was a little more coherent ;-)

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

Never seen them Live

Have transcribed a number of tunes and looked at Sting’s songwriting

They certainly were not an average band but they also had some luck/good fortune with Corporate events.

Btw there is a cool live version of “King of Pain” Lady Gaga at Sting 60th Birthday gig
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Huge Sting fan here. I also saw the Police play at Western Springs, and I’ve seen Sting play live. He’s a great songwriter, and a great performer. And he knows ‘all the chords’.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

olegmcnoleg wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:06 am Huge Sting fan here. I also saw the Police play at Western Springs, and I’ve seen Sting play live. He’s a great songwriter, and a great performer. And he knows ‘all the chords’.
Yeah but can he play April sun in Cuba???
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Just paid an $80 fixed penalty for driving at 62kmh in a 50kmh zone. They are now dead to me :(
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

Bg wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:54 am Just paid an $80 fixed penalty for driving at 62kmh in a 50kmh zone. They are now dead to me :(
Did you get caught in a Sting?
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 376 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Never saw them live but had a great deal of repect for them. Perfect formula, like they'd been put together by Simon Cowell but they had the nonse to do it themselves. Favourite recorded material was a bootleg from a concert in NYC, Sting the Girls and make them Die. Illustrates how perfect the three piece format can be with the right three people.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 605 times

Post by Lawrence »

its fascinating how a guitarist in his mid thirties ended up in band that was appealing to the punk crowd in Britain. There are some shows online from just after the first record...very high energy and pretty low levels of production...polytechnic lunch hall type gigs.

Saw them in 2008....great show.
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.

RobRoyMcCoy
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 194 times
Been liked: 45 times

Post by RobRoyMcCoy »

I also saw them at Western Spring and I thought they were epic.

My ex-wife had a migrane that day so I rang my mate in Hamilton and said "I have a free ticket to see The Police, you wanna go?" Needless to say, the beersies were on him.
Greenstone Amplifiers

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Post by werdna »

sizzlingbadger wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2022 9:26 pm No, but my mum was at school with Andy Summers.
Time for a DNA test?
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 376 times

Post by Dharmajester »

I'll never forget seeing Andy Summers pre Police playing with Kevin Coyne. Coyne was drunk as fuck and stumbling round the stage mumbling incoherently. Summers had that look of tortured desperation on his face the whole time but unfortunately Scotty wasn't there to beam him up.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson