NGD: Strat

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1106 times
Been liked: 1422 times

NGD: Strat

Post by robthemac »

Picked this up from Voxshall in part of a trade a couple of months back, but haven't had a chance to post it since.

This is a 1996 Fender Custom Shop, 1960 Stratocaster. Alder body, fiesta red finish (not nitro unfortunately), rosewood board, birdseye maple neck. It's been through a few hands over its lifetime. Modifications include new pickups (Don Mare's), an aged mint green pickguard and some very old plastic switches (Voxshall might know how many decades). The wiring has been changed to master volume, master tone and a blend, which I'm actually really enjoying. Some decent cracks in the finish, but nothing that's caused any issue.

I'm really picky when it comes to Strats. I've only had a handful that I've got on with. Thankfully this is one of them.

Apologies for the upsidedown pictures.
Attachments
IMG_0965.JPG
IMG_0965.JPG (1.35 MiB) Viewed 4011 times
IMG_0963.JPG
IMG_0963.JPG (1.56 MiB) Viewed 4011 times
IMG_0961.JPG
IMG_0961.JPG (1.66 MiB) Viewed 4011 times
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Re: NGD: Strat

Post by robthemac »

More pictures
Attachments
IMG_0958.JPG
IMG_0958.JPG (1.02 MiB) Viewed 4010 times
IMG_0957.JPG
IMG_0957.JPG (1.37 MiB) Viewed 4010 times
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1778 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

That’s a loverly neck!!

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Lyle »

Nice. I've got a CS Tele from the same era, similar levels of birdseye on the neck.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Lyle wrote:Nice. I've got a CS Tele from the same era, similar levels of birdseye on the neck.
One of the reasons I wanted this era. Fender really went to town on their wood selection.

Voxshall
Gibson
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 273 times

Post by Voxshall »

Glad you’re enjoying it Rob, that Tele of yours is amazing as well, it actually fits in with my current band better than any other guitar I own and it’s by far the least expensive. Hope you don’t mind I ended up getting rid of the sunburst so it’s now Dakota red, I think it looks really cool.
Last edited by Voxshall on Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1359 times
Been liked: 2097 times

Post by GrantB »

I can tell that neck is a cracker. Congrats.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 815 times
Been liked: 1304 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Not that it really matters, but what are fender doing putting a poly finish (I'm assuming that's what it is if it's not nitro ) on their custom shop instruments ??

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

Voxshall wrote:Glad you’re enjoying it Rob, that Tele of yours is amazing as well, it actually fits in with my current band better than any other guitar I own and it’s by far the least expensive. Hope you don’t mind I ended up getting rid of the sunburst so it’s now Dakota red, I think it looks really cool.
I was never attached to the finish, don't worry! Glad to hear your enjoying it. Did you switch out any other parts?

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by robthemac »

StrummersOfThunder wrote:Not that it really matters, but what are fender doing putting a poly finish (I'm assuming that's what it is if it's not nitro ) on their custom shop instruments ??
One of Fender Custom Shop's builders was on a forum talking about this.

"In my opinion, nitro is not the best finish for a guitar body.
We'll shoot whatever you want though."

I like nitro for the look, but it's not without its problems.

sunburster
Squier
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by sunburster »

You can order a poly finish from the CS, but most people do not do that, so they are rare. Always make sure to check the body cavities for proper CS stamps, to make sure the body is authentic. Whenever someone says "poly finish CS body" to me, I get suspicious because it's easy to swap in a MIM body or something like that.

You can also email the serial number to Fender customer service, and they will confirm if the body was ordered as nitro or poly.

I love the neck on this one! Absolutely gorgeous.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7728 times
Been liked: 4170 times

Post by jeremyb »

robthemac wrote:
StrummersOfThunder wrote:Not that it really matters, but what are fender doing putting a poly finish (I'm assuming that's what it is if it's not nitro ) on their custom shop instruments ??
One of Fender Custom Shop's builders was on a forum talking about this.

"In my opinion, nitro is not the best finish for a guitar body.
We'll shoot whatever you want though."

I like nitro for the look, but it's not without its problems.
In practical terms nitro isn't the best, but who cares about that, we want it cracking and rubbing off where we play it for cred :lol:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

MrDINO
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by MrDINO »

That 95 CS 54 Strat I had was a poly finish as well. Might have been a 90s thing...

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Lyle »

My tele is 97 and has a poly finish I didn't some googling when I purchased it and it looks like it was pretty common at the time.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 815 times
Been liked: 1304 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Owned plenty of each finish, and I prefer nitro by a large margin. I just love how it ages, wears, checks etc.it has a silkier/softer feel. Not 'plastic' or 'tingy/tacky'. Nothing wrong with a poly finish mind.
Last edited by StrummersOfThunder on Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.