Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

BY StrummersOfThunder
Really a plug for Tonys (silverpistol pedals) good work.
Played a gig last night and tested out the airbrake clone he built for me.
I had a z brake light but it ran awayband his in the closet at the site of the showman so I hit up to you to build me a hulk of an attenuator.
Well I got to test it last night, and it has made the showman go from great to phenomenal.
Finally able to sneak up past 2 on the volume pot.
Now those lovely 6l6s are getting pushed a bit I'm getting a nice bit of sustain and compression, where before it was all immediate attack. 85 watts of it. Right in the face.
Was a pleasure to play through. Matches grunty the JM telemaster pickup in my pink JM well and the treble drop with the attenuator cranked is a welcome reprieve from the icey death ray...
BY chur
Awesome, this a resistive attenuator or reactive?

Any pics of the finished product?
BY sizzlingbadger
StrummersOfThunder wrote:Hmm not sure. Picture a stainless steel box with a knob.

are you standing there holding the box ?

:winky:
BY StrummersOfThunder
griff7628 wrote:Do you find the power tubes turned up give much gain/distortion themselves?

I haven't had the vol dial beyond mid day through fear of immediate fecal incontinence
It's a clean amp with a but load of negative feedback
I did have Clarry put a NFB switch in it and with that off it certainly gains some hair. But I would say I've heard it distort.
BY mrmofo
is that the saturated clean tone someone was asking about last week?
BY Reg18
mrmofo wrote:is that the saturated clean tone someone was asking about last week?

That was me, trying to emulate that same feel/sound with a digital amp is the tricky part.
BY mrmofo
Reg18 wrote:
mrmofo wrote:is that the saturated clean tone someone was asking about last week?

That was me, trying to emulate that same feel/sound with a digital amp is the tricky part.

maaaaate. good luck.
I`ve been using a solid state amp from 1980 at practice. I don't know what all the fuss is about. my son uses a Trace Elliot that sounds divine, both examples aren't digital but the tone is there even at reasonably high volume. (and no tubes)
BY Reg18
mrmofo wrote:
Reg18 wrote:

maaaaate. good luck.
I`ve been using a solid state amp from 1980 at practice. I don't know what all the fuss is about. my son uses a Trace Elliot that sounds divine, both examples aren't digital but the tone is there even at reasonably high volume. (and no tubes)

Yeah I’ve used a few as well, the Super Tramp by Trace Elliot was a great amp.
BY TmcB
Strummers, you are an absolute gentleman - thank you!

I have to say, he was exceptionally understanding as life circumstances kept kicking me in the nads.

He also goes out of his way to support NZ businesses and I am super grateful for that.