Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3862 times

Re: Troubleshooting help please?

Post by Bg »

re-iterating previous posts. Check you've fully cut the tracks and check you've not shorted between them. They are the most common issues with veroboard. And make sure you cut the ones under the two resistors.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Snarblinge
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Snarblinge »

What transistors did you use? Could be bias issue.
b.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1627 times
Been liked: 1293 times

Post by Jay »

Add Fuzz Control Pot....
Fuzz CD & VB.JPG
Fuzz CD & VB.JPG (148 KiB) Viewed 4575 times
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 852 times
Been liked: 272 times

Post by calling card »

If it were me I'd have fucked up the transistor legs, this also why I don't make these things. Except if push comes to shove.

Shimmer
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 294 times
Been liked: 85 times

Post by Shimmer »

I'd check the transistor pins.
Can be hella confusing even for similarly named transistors....
http://www.analogzoo.com/2015/03/beware-the-p2n222a/
I want all the pedals!

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1060 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

Problem solved.

The circuit was fine. Everything was wired fine except for c3. The diagram says to omit this part, and then in the comments the designer said that omitted parts need to have a jumper in their place. Jvpp snipped the jumper and there's the sound.

'Easy' as that.

Now what I have is a fuzz with massive volume and massive treble. Too much on both fronts so I soldered a cap between lugs 1 and 2 of the pot to roll off the nastiness and ran a resistor in series from lug 3 to the switch. Now it's more where it should be and has gone from being a thermonuclear device of raspy buzz to something slightly more tamed.

It's a fun world this pedal building. It almost makes it worth the burned fingers.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3862 times

Post by Bg »

NippleWrestler wrote:Problem solved.

The circuit was fine. Everything was wired fine except for c3. The diagram says to omit this part, and then in the comments the designer said that omitted parts need to have a jumper in their place. Jvpp snipped the jumper and there's the sound.

'Easy' as that.

Now what I have is a fuzz with massive volume and massive treble. Too much on both fronts so I soldered a cap between lugs 1 and 2 of the pot to roll off the nastiness and ran a resistor in series from lug 3 to the switch. Now it's more where it should be and has gone from being a thermonuclear device of raspy buzz to something slightly more tamed.

It's a fun world this pedal building. It almost makes it worth the burned fingers.
Yay simple as that :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NippleWrestler »

Fuzzboy lives.

This is the ritual fuzz circuit. It's crazy. Unity gain was at about 2 on the dial and from then on it gets insanely bright and insanely loud. You'd have zero trouble standing out in the mix but it literally hurts your ears when you're playing.

The only pot is volume. No gain control. It's always on and you're just attenuating, yet more treble comes in as you dial up.

It was too much.

I soldered a .047uf cap over lugs 1 and 2 of the pot which lowered the volume by about 60%, removed a lot of nasty treble and a great deal of ugly hiss.

Now it's basically a massively thick boost pedal which absolutely rocks on a drive channel at almost breakup. This way there's a clean with the volume back, then a bit of a chunky drive with the volume on and then this weird sludge thing with the pedal on. I've no idea what's happening electronically but it's great fun.

The enclosure is from a pedal I almost made in 2009. I don't have the screws for it so masking tape is the next best thing. The lid is covered in electrical tape to prevent anything shorting out.

It works. It's ugly in a beautiful way.

Well worth the dicking around.

Snarblinge
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Snarblinge »

looks badass, well done.

what you building next?

(also, i now have a specific spot for enclosure screws, i write the enclosure number on the little plastic bag and chuck it in the thing, then at boxing time I know where they are. I have lost them before)
b.

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

NippleWrestler wrote:It's a fun world this pedal building. It almost makes it worth the burned fingers.
iron.jpg
iron.jpg (95.7 KiB) Viewed 4403 times
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by NippleWrestler »

Snarblinge wrote:looks badass, well done.

what you building next?

(also, i now have a specific spot for enclosure screws, i write the enclosure number on the little plastic bag and chuck it in the thing, then at boxing time I know where they are. I have lost them before)
There's a noise gate coming, then a Hyperion 2, then an eqd cloven hoof.