Show us your Stratocasters!

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

SimonHirst
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 254 times

Re: Show us your Stratocasters!

Post by SimonHirst »

Here’s a full shot! As I said to Grant. Ugly in the best kind of way :thumbup:
Attachments
8CC2383D-B6C0-4782-8C2E-C788F89B1835.jpeg
8CC2383D-B6C0-4782-8C2E-C788F89B1835.jpeg (3.08 MiB) Viewed 4422 times

3Cords
Ashton
Ashton
Been liked: 1 time

Post by 3Cords »

Small before and after of current project...

45 years old and was found in a op shop in Melbourne, Nicknamed the Boomerang as took me 4 years to finish as it got "lost" by the kid who was the painter and basically was such a mess I had to start again.

basically Other than the body and neck it all had to be replaced, and it sounds pretty sweet....

but unfortunately the Neck is a little bit out of shape as has had no string tension on it for many years, but will give it 6 months and if might have to ask for some professional help once everything settled down... she not perfect but she is unique

Picks are virtual Dimarizo Virtual P90s Neck and middle and Tonezone in the Bridge, gotoh Hardware mostly, Supplied by Ash

Standard 5 way switch, on tone is a Push pull to split all pickups and other tone Knob is a on/off switch to turn on the bridge pickup no matter where the 5 way switch is....

and Yes I'm back in the country now, Back in Whangarei

Radian Jazzmaster with 3 P90
Something in the works
Hagstrom Viking
Taylor 310 L7
Martin 000-15m
Roland Cube 30
JetCity 20H
Line 6 Pocket Pod

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 900 times

Post by Marshmallow »

Hi All,

Not sure if you guys remember the custom guitar I've had. While I may have other guitars (By other i mean PRS and Tele), this has been my go to guitar.

This guitar got stolen at tokyo airport upon my arrival. Luckily, the security managed to grab it from the guy before the guy got out of the gate. A few months later, the guitar fell during the demo at the ESP workshop so the neck (Wenge) was customized to my spec, changed the pickguard, changed the pickups to Seymour Duncan TB-16/ SSL-1/SSL-1 with the Ibanez Dynamix 9 Switching. During the build, my mate from ovaltone gave me one of his custom capacitors + ESP Tone Springs (so you can install 5 softer springs rather than 3 medium springs) I've also changed the tuners to the SD91 Aged nickel.

The guitar body looks beaten but I don't really care about it too much. At the moment I don't have time to repaint it since I use it live almost every week.

Anyway enjoy.

Another build coming soon hopefully!

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

That is a stunner, I reckon a bound strat is on my list of builds as well as a double bound tele!
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1309 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

Here's my 2003 Custom Strat... pretty boring looking compared to most of yours! 3TS with a mint guard, Kinman Traditional AVn-62 MK-III in the bridge, Texas Special in the middle & SD SSL1 vintage staggered in the neck. Fender chrome locking tuners, Fender 57/62/CS vintage bridge & "Staytrem" SS tremolo arm (no arm slop in block & arm stays in place -these are really good IMO)!
My Strat2 27-9-2019.jpg
My Strat2 27-9-2019.jpg (456.83 KiB) Viewed 4176 times
Last edited by MikeC on Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

This is my Strat. My first electric guitar bought new from Weirs Piano and Organ Centre in Hamilton in 1997.
It was on student loan as course related costs! Bit of a stretch, I was at Film School :roll: :wave:

When I got it they had just released a new series of Custom Shop Strats called 'Lone Star' for their 50th anniversary... this was one of those guys, it has a 50th ann sticker on the headstock. It used to be HSS with 2 Texas Specials and Pearly gates plus in the bridge. The original pickguard is a lovely tortoiseshell, which I still have kicking around with that Humbucker.

Lots of cool memories from that formative time in my life, and this guitar was always with me then. After study, I auditioned for a YFC touring team in 99, and toured NZ schools in 2000 with this guitar in a group called Y-One. (But I played mostly bass then.) Did some recording with it after we moved to Christchurch, when it was still my only electric! Anyway, I eventually got sick of the Texas Special sound, so swapped things around for SSS with some nice Fender ones (PV65s I think?) It's set with a floating tremolo (vibrato) for some nice wobble, and thanks to the graphtec is reasonably steady with tuning. :)
Last edited by Cdog on Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

Oh well 3T's in a row, here's mine. MIJ 2004 62ri, Dimarzio coils, brass trem block - these bits there when I bought it. Rory fan boy. Never going to wreck it though, beautiful thing it is.

2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 900 times

Post by Marshmallow »

Mike Clayton wrote:Here's my 2003 Custom Strat... pretty boring looking compared to most of yours! 3TS with a mint guard, Kinman Traditional AVn-62 MK-III in the bridge, Texas Special in the middle & SD SSL1 vintage staggered in the neck. Fender chrome locking tuners, Fender 57/62/CS vintage bridge & "Staytrem" SS tremolo arm (no arm slop in block & arm stays in place -these are really good IMO)!
My Strat2 27-9-2019.jpg
Oh man I bet it plays awesome!!! Those ssl1s are great too

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

Marshmallow wrote:
Mike Clayton wrote:Here's my 2003 Custom Strat... pretty boring looking compared to most of yours! 3TS with a mint guard, Kinman Traditional AVn-62 MK-III in the bridge, Texas Special in the middle & SD SSL1 vintage staggered in the neck. Fender chrome locking tuners, Fender 57/62/CS vintage bridge & "Staytrem" SS tremolo arm (no arm slop in block & arm stays in place -these are really good IMO)!
My Strat2 27-9-2019.jpg
Oh man I bet it plays awesome!!! Those ssl1s are great too
It does play well & I've put alot of effort into that. I run my strings a bit on the high side these days because when I hear those beautiful Strat neck clean tones there's never a hint of fret buzz. But alas I'm still not satisfied with the tone & am still seeking "the one"! I don't suppose anyone else on this forum has the same problem...

Voxshall
Gibson
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 273 times

Post by Voxshall »

Poor thing has lived a hard life, you name it, she's done it.
Last edited by Voxshall on Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

Voxshall wrote:Image

Poor thing has lived a hard life, you name, it she's done it.
Looks lovely to me. What is she exactly and how does she play and sound?

Voxshall
Gibson
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 273 times

Post by Voxshall »

Mike Clayton wrote:
Voxshall wrote:Image

Poor thing has lived a hard life, you name, it she's done it.
Looks lovely to me. What is she exactly and how does she play and sound?
Body was from 64 but had many paint jobs, looked pretty cool here with vintage tort guard.

I took all the layers of paint back to the original sunburst finish, which went well on the back of the guitar but unfortunately the front had been sanded before refinishing. The pickups, hardware and plastics are from 63, and I have my 63 strat neck on my number two strat this is my number one and has a 63 JM neck on it.

Has the most amazing tones, warm, fat, bright, chimey, sweet, smooth, flutey, sustain, woody every strat tone I ever want all in one strat. The neck pickup in particular is very versatile with the tone and vol knob, can get closer to les paul tones than I ever imagined with tone at 5. The middle pickup is also incredibly sweet sounding. The only sound I wouldn't rate a 10/10 is the bridge and middle pickup together it sounds great maybe 8/10 but isn't the best or equal best I've ever heard like all the other positions. Plays so effortlessly and easy even with medium high action and a 7.25 radius, just feels really comfortable no stiffness and the back of the neck is the smoothest I've ever felt.

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

Wow, you're a lucky man!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Reviving this thread, 60s Roadworn, nitro finish, Mr Glyn's Bellbird Pickups, Obisidan Wire Gilmour wiring kit in it, strung in 10-46 with the bridge floating, sounds and plays amazing!
Attachments
IMG_20200312_184718 (1).jpg
IMG_20200312_184718 (1).jpg (8.6 MiB) Viewed 2582 times
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.