Post by MakoGat »

Yes, lets see what happens in October, the ball is rolling, watch this space

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Re: Disappointing product range in NZ

Post by Bg »

yep, stuff under $400 is going to get gst...
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

higainer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by higainer »

MakoGat wrote:So if some more products / options were available locally would you still shop overseas given perhaps paying the GST on more expensive items?
It would depend.
I prefer to support the local guys, so if it’s not that much more here, I’ll stay local.
Benefits would be trying the product, & warranty.
Locally sourced big ticket items like amps can give you piece of mind if things go south.
However a reputable overseas builder that stands behind their product is just as safe.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 737 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »

The shops that offered the more boutique stuff including patch cables etc died out pretty quickly. Stock just sat for years.

I get the feeling that even mainstream stores need to be pretty careful. Otherwise surely the RS would have atleast one Suhr in stock.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Lets not go full ampshop but....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 245 times

Post by Capt. Black »

Hmmm, importing gear eh? Such cheap! Much business opportunity!
Now can save money and go bankrupt at same time!

:lol:

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 351 times

Post by WellyBlues »

To paraphrase someone else "how do you make a small fortune? Take a large fortune and open a music store!". I don't know whether that's the case here but I suspect it might be.
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

WellyBlues wrote:To paraphrase someone else "how do you make a small fortune? Take a large fortune and open a music store!". I don't know whether that's the case here but I suspect it might be.
Retail is tough on most fronts and has been for a while now

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

I pity the music shops that had large amounts of stock when Van Halen hit. Or when Nirvana hit.
The 59 Les Paul took 8 years to become popular. Explorers and Flying Vees bombed on release.
Even if you have great product, if it is off trend it will look at you and collect dust, sometimes for decades. Meanwhile there's rent to pay, power, wages etc...
If you nail a great brand, what variation do you order most of? Cost price of say a slam dunk brand like Friedman (off the table because it is the Rockshop's) is pretty considerable, so you could over order and not stock the right product, the right stock is probably 6 months away and bills etc... under order and same deal...
The boutique brands are easier to deal with and better set up, but remember that Enzed is about the size as a country as a small city elsewhere in the world. Chapman Guitars is set up for "small dealers" in Europe and the USA, but there's a dude on Trademe selling the remainder of an initial minimum order cheaper than you can buy from Andertons without freight, so possibly with very little margin...No margin, no turnover, no business.
If you want access to the brands you want and you don't need to pay a mortgage or feed a family from it go for it. Just remember you are up against international businesses that respond to messages on a Sunday afternoon and ship into New Zealand faster than freight companies can ship Auckland to Christchurch at a price that compares to New Zealand courier charges.
Tin arse!!

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 245 times

Post by Capt. Black »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
WellyBlues wrote:To paraphrase someone else "how do you make a small fortune? Take a large fortune and open a music store!". I don't know whether that's the case here but I suspect it might be.
But retailers are ripping us off with such huge margins!?!?!?

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Capt. Black wrote:
Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
Probably feels like their only option because the rent and OPEX go up every year regardless of whether you're in growth or decline; more often than not the increases in those two costs are completely disproportionate to the store. It's only a matter of time before the business becomes unsustainable, either that or you pour more money in to keep it going. I speak from personal experience

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

Capt. Black wrote:
Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
As you well know, retailers should be bringing in every product imaginable, subsidizing the international shipping cost, selling them below cost, because it’s un-kiwi to make any money off sell something (unless it’s a house), have showrooms for them with knowledgable staff, re ship them for nothing within nz, overnight, ensure the products are within the country within hours of initial release, cover all warranty issues for infinite years, and be grateful for doing so! God forbid you slip up on any of these, as Captain Anderton will have the consumer’s money in a heartbeat.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Lol the residual frustration is strong in this one!

...but of course you're absolutely right.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Polar Bear
Burns BHM
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 342 times

Post by Polar Bear »

slash-ed wrote:Lol the residual frustration is strong in this one!

...but of course you're absolutely right.
There is a considerable lack of understanding, as you’re no doubt well aware. No music retailer can operate like Bunnings.
Zephyr - Wellington's Leading Covers Band

http://zephyrband.co.nz/
https://www.facebook.com/ZephyrBandNZ

DongHua
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 72 times

Post by DongHua »

People like me with zero gas just hopeless for retailers, local or overseas.

In fact, I am happy to use my hard earned money to buy more free time and actually play my rig to be honest. And I did by faking going to work but jamming in my car for 8hrs instead over the years.

True love and dedication :thumbup: