Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

moliere
Squier
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 37 times

Replacing Les Paul pots - suggestions

Post by moliere »

2007 Les Paul Custom Classic (SD Custom Custom (bridge), SD Pearly Gates (neck). Pretty happy with the tone, but starting to get some scratchyness in the pots that my deoxit isn't coping with. Figured I'd replace the pots/jack/caps and maybe the selector while I'm at it. I'd like to get the best quality I can for tone and longevity. I've seen a few harnesses and kits around, and a lot of debate on types of capacitors.

Would love to buy local if that option is available (I see some Tone Lounge stuff). Any suggestions?

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Re: Replacing Les Paul pots - suggestions

Post by Bg »

yes tone lounge is the only and best local option!
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7688 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

https://tonelounge.co.nz/guitar-wiring-harness/

100% go for the obsidian wire stuff, Mat makes them here in Christchurch, I have one in my Tele and it rules!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

moliere
Squier
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by moliere »

Ah, nice. If I can even support some local manufacturing, that's better. Now to see whether I installed splittable pickups back in the day.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

I'm a bourns fan for pots. And my last 7 builds have all had gotoh switches in them which have been nothing short of great. I'm not sure why I paid double for switchcraft when the gotohs are easily their equal.

Switchcraft Jack's are still the ones to get though.

Tonelounge didn't reply to any of the 3 emails I sent last month when I was getting my parts together so I bought from realtone and eBay. Saved about 15% and the wait was about 10 days.

I've never had the need for a harness as I do it all myself but there's a ton of options. I wouldn't put too much stock in capacitors either but if you want to spend your money I've got some bumblebees in my Les Paul. They look nice but functionally no different from a 25c part.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

jeremyb wrote:https://tonelounge.co.nz/guitar-wiring-harness/

100% go for the obsidian wire stuff, Mat makes them here in Christchurch, I have one in my Tele and it rules!!
I'm planning a Strat build and his 5 way with neck pu blend is first choice!
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7688 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

GrantB wrote:
jeremyb wrote:https://tonelounge.co.nz/guitar-wiring-harness/

I'm planning a Strat build and his 5 way with neck pu blend is first choice!
I have his 4 way in my tele and its so good, easiest wiring upgrade ever!! Just need to twist his arm to do a broadcaster wiring setup for a future project :mrgreen:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Another vote for Mat. :thumbup:

Being 12,000 miles away I opted to buy Bare Knuckle pots for my SG. These 'custom taper' pots have the worst taper I've ever encountered. Just about everything disappears in the first third of a turn. And they weren't cheap.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Custom as!
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

JustMatt
Gibson
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 68 times

Post by JustMatt »

NippleWrestler wrote:I'm a bourns fan for pots. And my last 7 builds have all had gotoh switches in them which have been nothing short of great. I'm not sure why I paid double for switchcraft when the gotohs are easily their equal.

Tonelounge didn't reply to any of the 3 emails I sent last month when I was getting my parts together so I bought from realtone and eBay. Saved about 15% and the wait was about 10 days.

I've never had the need for a harness as I do it all myself but there's a ton of options. I wouldn't put too much stock in capacitors either but if you want to spend your money I've got some bumblebees in my Les Paul. They look nice but functionally no different from a 25c part.
:oops: :oops: :oops:

This is awkward. Flick me a message so we can follow up.

I have been known to miss an email from time to time, but three is unusual.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

Don't worry about it, I got everything from elsewhere. My last email was about the jazz bass wiring kit you have and if the pots could be swapped out for 500k. I didn't get a response so figured you were too busy, or out of business.

Either way, I'm sorted now.

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Molly wrote:Another vote for Mat. :thumbup:

Being 12,000 miles away I opted to buy Bare Knuckle pots for my SG. These 'custom taper' pots have the worst taper I've ever encountered. Just about everything disappears in the first third of a turn. And they weren't cheap.
I don't think any if these custom pots are worth buying/using. The only thing custom is their inflated price.
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

ToneLoungeMatt wrote:
NippleWrestler wrote:I'm a bourns fan for pots. And my last 7 builds have all had gotoh switches in them which have been nothing short of great. I'm not sure why I paid double for switchcraft when the gotohs are easily their equal.

:oops: :oops: :oops:

This is awkward. Flick me a message so we can follow up.

I have been known to miss an email from time to time, but three is unusual.
Spam filter maybe. I discovered today that my Education Gazette emails (the way I keep in touch with the NZ teaching job market) had inexplicably started going into my spam folder.

JustMatt
Gibson
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 68 times

Post by JustMatt »

NippleWrestler wrote:Don't worry about it, I got everything from elsewhere. My last email was about the jazz bass wiring kit you have and if the pots could be swapped out for 500k. I didn't get a response so figured you were too busy, or out of business.

Either way, I'm sorted now.
All good. I am glad you got it sorted.

Flick me a message through here if you have trouble reaching us again. I will be happy to help.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 377 times

Post by Dharmajester »

I've some VIPots on the way courtesey of Ebay. They are advertised as clones of the old Centralabs pots. $54 ( kiwi ) for four sent to Youshop. The postage otherwise would have been almost as much as the pots.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson