There can be only ONE (pics!)

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Re: There can be only ONE (pics!)

Post by Cdog »

GrantB wrote:There are some great guitars in this thread.
^This!

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

While I tend to keep all my guitars forever anyway, the obvious choice for my 'one' would be another Ash Customworks build for this thread.

'Faith'

https://imgur.com/a/zJQDDIk more pics

Bit of a story tbh... but in short Adrian graciously agreed to build this ambitious project, and it was finally completed in November 2011 - 5 years after I the began with the design.

He did an amazing job, I'm really happy with it! To this day it's definitely my most played and enjoyed. Guitars are deeply personal things, this particular instrument has been a part of my life journey that I will always treasure.

Specs: Original shape, Honduran Mahogany (Ex 1970s stockpile), carved maple top. Mahogany Neck with Ebony FB. Custom block inlays. Custom F-Holes. 22 fret 24.75" Scale. Bloodwood binding. Routed Semi-hollow body, Lollar Imperial Humbuckers. Parallel/Series/Tapped Coil Switching, Vol/Tone Pots. Vibrato Bridge is a Schaller.

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 837 times
Been liked: 358 times

Post by jimi »

Cdog wrote:While I tend to keep all my guitars forever anyway, the obvious choice for my 'one' would be another Ash Customworks build for this thread.

'Faith'
nice.

I'm a little jelly I don't have a fancy name for my ASH custom, but I've never been big on naming stuff.

The design process for me was a lot of telling Adrian that he knows best, mixed with not taking his advice. There's a few things he wanted to do which at the time felt a bit PRS-esque blingy that I took a conservative path on, that I now regret not taking his advice. Like flamed maple binding on the neck and body, and wood pickup surrounds.

Just as well he's not still building, takes away the temptation to mess with a great guitar.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

That goldtop is pure hotness Jimi, I've always admired it in your avatar. :)

ASH instruments really are keepers. We were really lucky to have Adrian's mad skillz available to us when we did... Perhaps even guilty of taking his genius for granted.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

That goldtop is pure hotness Jimi, I've always admired it in your avatar. :)

ASH instruments really are keepers. We were really lucky to have Adrian's mad skillz available to us when we did... Perhaps even guilty of taking his genius for granted.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Cdog wrote:Perhaps even guilty of taking his genius for granted.
Well I never quite managed to get my order in, I just kept putting it off. Of course now I can't.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

handsoffmatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by handsoffmatt »

Olderama wrote:Bootleg Generator
Love it

Every time I see this guitar, I kinda regret selling it.

Dibs if you ever get rid of it?
"Volume is tone" - EVH

Electrics: ESP/Fender/Gibson/.strandberg*/Godin/Washburn/Music Man/Knaggs/Squier/Vintage
Acoustic: Cole Clark/Godin/Takamine/Taylor
Amps: BOSS Katana Head / Friedman Smallbox

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Love it

is that Scotti Hill in the photo? admit it thats why you love it :rofl:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 837 times
Been liked: 358 times

Post by jimi »

Cdog wrote: ASH instruments really are keepers. We were really lucky to have Adrian's mad skillz available to us when we did... Perhaps even guilty of taking his genius for granted.
Hah, in a stroke of coincidence, after reminiscing about ASH customworks, have a familiar train driver for the commute home.

Didn’t get to chat long enough to mention how much you guys miss him, but I’m sure he knows!

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1777 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

Cdog wrote:While I tend to keep all my guitars forever anyway, the obvious choice for my 'one' would be another Ash Customworks build for this thread.

'Faith'

https://imgur.com/a/zJQDDIk more pics

Bit of a story tbh... but in short Adrian graciously agreed to build this ambitious project, and it was finally completed in November 2011 - 5 years after I the began with the design.

He did an amazing job, I'm really happy with it! To this day it's definitely my most played and enjoyed. Guitars are deeply personal things, this particular instrument has been a part of my life journey that I will always treasure.

Specs: Original shape, Honduran Mahogany (Ex 1970s stockpile), carved maple top. Mahogany Neck with Ebony FB. Custom block inlays. Custom F-Holes. 22 fret 24.75" Scale. Bloodwood binding. Routed Semi-hollow body, Lollar Imperial Humbuckers. Parallel/Series/Tapped Coil Switching, Vol/Tone Pots. Vibrato Bridge is a Schaller.
OH my wot a beauty!!! Never seen this before!

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

jimi wrote:
Cdog wrote: ASH instruments really are keepers. We were really lucky to have Adrian's mad skillz available to us when we did... Perhaps even guilty of taking his genius for granted.
Hah, in a stroke of coincidence, after reminiscing about ASH customworks, have a familiar train driver for the commute home.

Didn’t get to chat long enough to mention how much you guys miss him, but I’m sure he knows!
He does, hoping to catch up with him this weekend!
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 971 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

willow13 wrote:
Love it

is that Scotti Hill in the photo? admit it thats why you love it :rofl:
Yep it is :thumbup:
:mental:

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Bg wrote:
jimi wrote:

He does, hoping to catch up with him this weekend!
Pass on our regards, indeed a top bloke.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Post by Slowy »

IMG_2560.JPG
Without a doubt.
Lowden S23 Custom. The 'custom' designation makes it as rare as a mooing steak. Not certain, but current research suggests there may only be 7 of these in existence.

Played well, its tone is hypnotic. It's not a forgiving guitar, but when the heavens align, Oh My Goodness....
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

robthemac
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1102 times
Been liked: 1419 times

Post by robthemac »

The one from my collection that I think I would struggle most to part with is this:

It's a Taylor custom shop ('Built To Order') that I had made as a graduation present to myself. Everything was to my specification. Grand Auditorium shape, non-cutaway, original Expression System pickup. Flamed walnut top, back and sides. Took a while to find the wood, as it wasn't even on the Built To Order option list. Flamed maple binding throughout (which alone cost more than a Baby Taylor), as well as a flamed maple mini-wedge on the back. Ebony fretboard and bridge. 2mm mother-of-pearl dots (I am not a fan of big or flashy inlays). Sitka spruce binding.

All-walnut acoustics are hard to find, but have a sound of their own. They have the warmth of rosewood, the top-end sparkle of maple and the sweetness of koa, but much louder. Generally a 'scooped' sound, light on mid-range, but perfect for the way I play.
Jops wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 7:46 am Spring is the comic sans of reverbs anyway.