Amp Repair Auckland

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Re: Amp Repair Auckland

Post by NippleWrestler »

Probably a good thing. He ruined my dual rectifier. Eventually he refunded me but "forgot" what he did so I couldn't fix it.

I ended up taking it to the rock shop who had to undo clarrys mistake and then begin anew. I'm convinced clarry is a hack.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

NippleWrestler wrote:Probably a good thing. He ruined my dual rectifier. Eventually he refunded me but "forgot" what he did so I couldn't fix it.

I ended up taking it to the rock shop who had to undo clarrys mistake and then begin anew. I'm convinced clarry is a hack.
Don't think you'll get much mileage out of that, lots of people know and admire Clarry's work. I've been to him once, and he was great for the job. I'm surprised he touched your dual rec. I'm not saying it didn't happen, just most peoples experience has been the opposite.

As an aside:
Jansen did sweet fuck all to the Carvin I had which sounded like shit, and charged me 300 bucks for the privilege. It was the best amp I'd ever played for exactly one gig, then something went pop. Jansen being the carvin dealer, I presumed they could fix. They changed all the valves, charged me 300 bucks for labour, and it still sounded like shit.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

so the moral of this thread is no one wants to fix tube amps anymore by the looks so buy a katana and when it shits out biff it and just buy another one?? will work out WAY cheaper in the long run :rofl:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

willow13 wrote:so the moral of this thread is no one wants to fix tube amps anymore by the looks so buy a bandit
Bingo
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1777 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

willow13 wrote:so the moral of this thread is no one wants to fix tube amps anymore by the looks so buy a katana and when it shits out biff it and just buy another one?? will work out WAY cheaper in the long run :rofl:
seriously considering that Katana Head on TM now instead of a valve amp after reading this thread that I started lol the irony! I've even had a Katana head before and sold it

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Then there’s me thinking of going clean as hell solid state and pedals ... then I remember I’m broke :problem:
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Post by werdna »

Once Clarry packs it in, I can't see any options.

Ivan is very, very pricey, and hostile in manner. The Rock Shop's person is in my experience not very skilled. R**n is not viable.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

I know the rock shop use different people depending on what Amp it is.
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Don’t we have some amp guys on the forum? And what about DJW for repairs to tube amps?

In terms of reliability, I’m satisfied my tube amps will outlast me. My ‘73 Princeton has had nothing repaired in it including replacing the tubes. Sounds fantastic.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Timoes
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 270 times
Been liked: 102 times

Post by Timoes »

Long live the point to point. Its just the micro sized modern components that make it awkward.
You Should Never Smoke in Pjamas. FZ.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

So Clarry is a no-go these days? Semi-retired?
Wonder if my Splawn counts a a 'special project' ? Not that it needs work, but for down the line.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

Optical
Tokai
Tokai
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 142 times

Post by Optical »

Splawns are pretty easy to work on for a PCB based amp, on the same page as a SLO or a vertical input 800 so you shouldnt have too much trouble getting any repairs done

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

Optical wrote:Splawns are pretty easy to work on for a PCB based amp, on the same page as a SLO or a vertical input 800 so you shouldnt have too much trouble getting any repairs done
Thought as much - I'm thinking I'd be more inclined to just have a retube/bias at any given stage given the amp is robust AF.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

RectifiedAmps
Fender
Fender
Has liked: 200 times
Been liked: 240 times

Post by RectifiedAmps »

I can think of very few examples of tube amps that customers felt weren’t worth repairing. Whereas repairing a transistor amp can get pricey really fast and I’m seeing more and more bass amps with ‘disposable’ sections - especially SMPS units where you just chuck it and fork out $250 for a new power supply. It’s apples and oranges though- transistor amps still seem to be ‘cost-effective’ units whereas you don’t see too many entry-level or ‘practise’ tube amps. The exceptions to this are Line 6 Spyders (cheap tube amps) and Quilters (pricier transistor amps) and I suppose Katanas.

Jehu
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 82 times

Post by Jehu »

I had my amp in to see Clarry just a few months ago (around christmas), so as far as I know he's still in action. He seemed to still be taking things on and made no mention to me about packing it in... but it's not like we're close friends or anything.
Jay