Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Re: Pedalboards, hardwood or tolexed?

Post by Bg »

willow13 wrote:
Bg wrote:Top will be plywood and fixed, bottom will be plywood and removable, thinner plywood too :)
totally the right choice. I visit adrian last week (got 2 awesome bits of silky oak, a maple fretboard and a rosewood neck)...he still has the neck he blank he did for you haha
When did he do that? bugger I need to catch up with him. You don't react to silky oak then?
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Bg wrote:
When did he do that? bugger I need to catch up with him. You don't react to silky oak then?
nope I seem to be fine with it as long as I wear a dust mask..Adrian had to pass it to me with a cloth...the neck looked like some kind of LP neck?...

he had so much stuff in his garage..I need to spend some time there finding some gem bits of wood
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

shit I suspect thats the flying V :) I'll catch up with him ;)

That silky oak looks awesome, I didn't react to it either. Was going to do a strat in it.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

Bg wrote:shit I suspect thats the flying V :) I'll catch up with him ;)

That silky oak looks awesome, I didn't react to it either. Was going to do a strat in it.
the 2 bits I got won't fit a strat body .. doing a EVH shape and probably a LP junior
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Jehu
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 82 times

Post by Jehu »

Bg wrote:So, a bit of movement, picked up a piece of oak and some kind of hard red wood (maybe cherry, it was an offcut I liked the look of)
Started on a board

So the big question is - how do you like your pedalboard tops? fully slotted? size of slots? plain that you can drill your own holes in? Carpeted, painted black or velcro stuck on.

Cheers
Damn, Bg... now that's a dovetail!
Jay

Jehu
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Jehu »

willow13 wrote: Macro seems to be one of the sexier woods .. always seems to have flame or spalt..yes it tends to twisted, but if you dry it right then its fine
Yes, when dried properly I haven't had many issues with it, and it's really nice to work with. I even built a full (top, back, sides, and neck) macro archtop a few years back, and it's still holding up:
Jay

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Jehu wrote:
Bg wrote:So, a bit of movement, picked up a piece of oak and some kind of hard red wood (maybe cherry, it was an offcut I liked the look of)
Started on a board

So the big question is - how do you like your pedalboard tops? fully slotted? size of slots? plain that you can drill your own holes in? Carpeted, painted black or velcro stuck on.

Cheers
Damn, Bg... now that's a dovetail!
Its the only one that turned out that well ;) Had just sharpened my bits :D

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Jehu wrote:
willow13 wrote: Macro seems to be one of the sexier woods .. always seems to have flame or spalt..yes it tends to twisted, but if you dry it right then its fine
Yes, when dried properly I haven't had many issues with it, and it's really nice to work with. I even built a full (top, back, sides, and neck) macro archtop a few years back, and it's still holding up:
Now that is bloody awesome!

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

that seriously is a work of art! We need more back story, it looks bloody great! A true craftsman!

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Router slip. Now this one will be tolexed ( double sided tape slip ), nice to know the joints are excellent under the tolex eh?

Have started on a biggie - Enough to hold my Helix LT. So classic wossname 24" x 12.5"

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Post by clubhouse »

Jehu wrote:
Beautiful! Well admiring of your skills, application and aesthetic. :thumbup: Love the headstock. Is the build Benedetto inspired by chance?

What does it sound like? Did the mac bend very easily for the sides? What are the other timbers used? I'd be keen to learn how you carved/tuned the top. Is it X-braced or "parallel" bracing bars. What's the size of the lower bout? To be honest, I'm surprised that mac works for the neck. I didn't realise it has good beam strength/stability.

I have a couple of old Hofners (one's a carved Committee with rosewood back and sides, the other's a steam/pressed top) and a 1937 Gibson L-12 so I'm pretty keen on arch-tops :D

Jehu
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Jehu »

Hey, thanks guys. I really didn't mean to totally derail Bg's pedalboard thread (sorry, Bg!), so I'll start a new thread for this tomorrow when I get a chance.
Jay

Jehu
Stagg
Stagg

Post by Jehu »

Jay