Best place to find a nice, used Gretsch G6122?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 437 times
Been liked: 256 times

Best place to find a nice, used Gretsch G6122?

Post by clubhouse »

My son's 21st is coming up and he has wanted a G6122-62 for a few years now so I'm testing the feasibility of buying/importing/what-have-you one.

I can't afford to go brand new or vintage so I'm in the used guitar market minefield. I know a little bit about guitars but am reasonably dumb about the finer points of Gretschs...they were/are always so exotic and spendy to me so I never overly familiarised meself with them.

I know even less about the wide, world of the international guitar marketplace and the possibilities and dangers inherent.

I'm after advice on shops or sites to browse, issues particular to Gretschs and the G6122 to be aware of and shipping, duty and other fees to be aware of. As a starting point, I'd ultimately like to source a G6122T-62 vintage select edition (current model) with light player wear (2018/17?)/near mint, OHC and tags (if possible)...the usual dream-list stuff.

It may be that I'm dreaming with my budget and how things roll when all the extra costs are added on. I don't mind hearing that or that NZ sourced deals are the place to start. I just need to get some cards on the table to see if this is going to fly and in what direction; up, down or sideways. Any advise gratefully appreciated.

Cheers :thumbup:

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1777 times
Been liked: 667 times

Re: Best place to find a nice, used Gretsch G6122?

Post by KNNZ »

TLDR or TL to type, correct me if I'm wrong but to import one in you would need about $4k-5k to pay all up including shipping, custom fees etc etc
to find one in NZ would be a challenge as I don't see many of the those floating around

harveysj
Squier
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 6 times

Post by harveysj »

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

correct me if I'm wrong but to import one in you would need about $4k-5k to pay all up including shipping, custom fees etc etc
to find one in NZ would be a challenge as I don't see many of the those floating around
I was hoping NZ$3500 for the guitar with about NZ$1000 for shipping, duty, GST,etc. Wiser heads may tell me I'm way off in my guessimates. I've checked Reverb and Street Sounds in NYC and it's border-line possible but Street Sounds won't ship to NZ (Gretsch dealer conditions). I'm hoping someone on the forum may have done a similar thing and have some experience to share or know of sites that may have deals or any other options.

Yeah, I thought they may be a bit scarce in NZ. I think I've only ever seen one in the flesh meself.

Thanks for that. I am keeping an eye on that in case I have to revert to plan B. I'd like to pursue a 6122 a little longer to see what may come of it, you never know. But if the writing on the wall is "nope" then that'll do nicely methinks. Cheers for the help :thumbup:

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1777 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

OR if you can't find a 6122-62 i've got a 6128T-62 for sale haha :mental:

kwhelan
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by kwhelan »

wow what a Dad, the fact that your son knows what he wants and is so specific at that age is commendable, Good Luck to you

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1066 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

Would a place like Youshop ship from USA to NZ without worrying about dealer obligations?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7692 times
Been liked: 4159 times

Post by jeremyb »

NippleWrestler wrote:Would a place like Youshop ship from USA to NZ without worrying about dealer obligations?
Yes, but it may be too large for them to ship, have heard this happening with guitars :(
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gretsch-6122-E ... SwEKxcPkvK

Early Jap production 6122....these things are pretty robust. For the $4.5K the Select Edition is in vintage guitar territory, money wise. They're more a crap-shoot in terms of what you're getting though. Gretsch of old were inconsistent.

I like the one I linked to because...

"Filtron is installed in the FULLOKO body and plays an American sound like Gretch!"
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

wow what a Dad, the fact that your son knows what he wants and is so specific at that age is commendable, Good Luck to you
Well thank you most kindly , sir. :wink: In the thick end of parenting I find it hard to know up from down most times: thinking that it's important to celebrate milestones and cultural traditions and all and on the other hand, spoiling aspirations and expectations by giving/getting stuff.

He's got a good head on his shoulders (still in no way the completed work) and music is something we both share and connect through...there's not much else :? I know he would respect the item and the spirit in which it was given and hopefully it may become a holder and trigger of some really cool memories for him in the time to come for him.

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

Would a place like Youshop ship from USA to NZ without worrying about dealer obligations?

Yes, but it may be too large for them to ship, have heard this happening with guitars :(
I thought of that possibility too but jeremyb is right. The volumetric dimensions fall outside their specs for shipping US to NZ.

Over on the geekzone forum there is a huge discussion on YouShop with some suggestion that Shipito (US freight forwarders) would cope with a guitar and shipping insurance. Even some suggestion they may let you write your own item value.... :shock: :shh: :shifty: :think: Shipito opens up the parcel on arrival at their warehouse and takes photos so you can verify it and check the condition prior to forwarding which sounds good too. I ran the rough figures through their online calculator and it would be about US$300.00 to ship with up to a four day transit (FedEx).

In fact, does anyone know the weight and dimensions of a Gretsch in a HC and allowing for a kilogram of extra packaging by chance that I could get a better cost calculation?

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

Early Jap production 6122....these things are pretty robust. For the $4.5K the Select Edition is in vintage guitar territory, money wise. They're more a crap-shoot in terms of what you're getting though. Gretsch of old were inconsistent.

I like the one I linked to because...

"Filtron is installed in the FULLOKO body and plays an American sound like Gretch!"
Ok..wow, lots of info here for me to absorb. Cheers.

Are the early Jap models robust to the point of crude or robust in being professionally made and well regarded instruments?

The SE guitar in particular I'm looking at is

http://www.streetsoundsnyc.com/gretsch- ... tar-ss1828

It falls at the borderline of affordability for me which is why I'm canvassing for advice and options. I think the value is there however I know that I don't know the nuances and key points of interest to ask about to verify it's worth a shot. I know playing the damn thing is really the only test but as near as can be, there maybe some issues (ie: neck instability, finishing, crap electrics, etc) that would eliminate it as an option start up.

I remember reading that the vintage Gretschs were inconsistent and basically shoddy during the Baldwin era, similar to late, CBS Fender. Are they the crap-shoot or are the MIJ era guitars inconsistent as well. If they are, I'd love to know what specifics to be aware of and note.

Great JapEnglish! :D I friend who was teaching English in Japan a while back sent me a T-shirt about the LSD Octopus and a poster for The Hotel Calforinia (sic)...mental!

Is FULLOKO one of the factory sites that built/builds Gretschs and is it known for better quality control than others...or is this somethin' else (Eddie Cochran RIP).

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

Having a 21 year old myself, I commend your parental generosity! I have a well known bias, I accept that, but has your son played one of these, or many Gretschs of any type? They are a very distinctive sounding and feeling guitar, and in my opinion, not comfortable to play or very versatile sounding. I know there are several people on here who will disagree with that. But for that sort of money you could get a really nice, much more versatile and easier to play guitar.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

clubhouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by clubhouse »

Having a 21 year old myself, I commend your parental generosity! I have a well known bias, I accept that, but has your son played one of these, or many Gretschs of any type? They are a very distinctive sounding and feeling guitar, and in my opinion, not comfortable to play or very versatile sounding. I know there are several people on here who will disagree with that. But for that sort of money you could get a really nice, much more versatile and easier to play guitar.
Thanks for your comments and inquiry. I take on board the issues you raise and have chucked them around in my head for years now. Music is the only topic where we really connect now (very difficult teenage transition and it's still walking on egg-shells most of the time). Music holds our good times.

It all started when we were killing time in Taupo a few years ago and tried out a beautiful, surf green, Gretsch, hollow body in a shop there. I can't remember the model as I wasn't really concentrating as much as I should've been but my son was bowled over. In his own way he would refer back to that guitar often over the years.

He was raised on The Beatles, et al and when he started to developed his own sensibilities (massive Greenday fan), he auditioned a few LP Jnrs before settling on a used one that had nice resonance and finish quality and stayed in tune. He plonked down all his savings and has paid back the loan we extended to him since. He's since built a tele from a piece of alder he seasoned and parts he bludged and purchased. It goes ok although the finish is a bit ropey...

He's been very lucky to have access to a reasonably wide range of guitars; admittedly mostly conservative, older style ones rather than more modern designs (ie: PRS, super-strats, Parkers and the like) with a variety of PUs, body widths, shapes and weights, scale lengths, solids, semis and hollows and still hankers for the G6122.

I'll have to sell on my 1975, Fender Starcaster to be able to afford a G6122 and I'm fine with that as I feel in my guardianship I've taken that guitar as far as I can (it was my first "professional :?: " level guitar) and it needs to continue on with another player. I'll also sell on my NZ, SF Twin Reverb for the same reasons.

Doesn't help any that his current hero and influence for a few years since is John Squire of the Stone Roses :wink: The theme is that he is a guitar conservative (like his dad, aw) with a current disposition to clean, brit-rock blues. It'll be paired (if things go ahead) with an Alesis Midiverb II and US export, SF Twin Reverb (which I've lugged around for years) to complete the sound/look :wink: .

He is also very lucky to have access to a good pedal collection and reasonable amp and speaker selection, albeit currently light of a good EL34 specimen, to assist spicing and flavouring.

If in the future he decides to sell it on as his tastes change or he needs to pay a dentist's bill then fair play, he'll still have the memories (unless his drug years period wipe the memory banks :lol: :( ).

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

OK, well clearly you and your son have considered everything very carefully, for which I applaud you. John Squire is a fine reference point in my book! My 21 year old daughter likes drum & bass and rap, which I don't mind too much except the lyrics of some of the rap stuff she listens to are absolutely appalling!
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz