Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

DIY Patch Cables

Post by GrantB »

I'm looking for someone with a fact based view on patch cables, connectors and shielding.

A while back I purchased some high end audio signal wire. It is fully shielded like normal guitar patch cable but it is all very thin. The wire is silver coated fine copper wire and I've used it for signal transmission elsewhere with no difference in performance to anything else.

I have to make some patch cables for my new board and I would like to use this wire as it is super thin and easy to lay out. Plus, it cost me heaps and I need to justify owning it!!

I'll post photos soon, but any issues with this approach? I intend on soldering the ends to standard plugs without the plastic bits on them. I make my own shields out of heat shrink tubing.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Re: DIY Patch Cables

Post by Bg »

Just try it mate, I can't see a problem with it but I'm no expert and I have tin ears.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Your signal is going through tiny little wires in your pickups, through some solder joints to pots, then through more solder joints, across a jack, down yer cable, across another jack, and then patch cables finally come into play.

Can’t imagine they’ll do anything wrong.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

kwhelan
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by kwhelan »

continuity isn't the issue but the quality or lack of shielding may be noise inducing, only one way to really find out

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Should be fine on a board where it isn't getting any abuse.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

I've been running stereo mike cable around my studio/man cave for patching audio and when I actually look at the conductors etc. they're very thin, as observed elsewhere not dissimilar to the pickup wire. Most of the bulk is made up of the shielding and the rubber is there to give the whole cable protection from being kicked around/stood on/pinched etc.

I'm planning on wiring the end connectors up in a similar manner to you since I want multiple connectors (TSR and twin RCAs) the key will be getting the shielding correctly connected to reduce noise pickup.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

sty wrote:I've been running stereo mike cable around my studio/man cave for patching audio and when I actually look at the conductors etc. they're very thin, as observed elsewhere not dissimilar to the pickup wire. Most of the bulk is made up of the shielding and the rubber is there to give the whole cable protection from being kicked around/stood on/pinched etc.

I'm planning on wiring the end connectors up in a similar manner to you since I want multiple connectors (TSR and twin RCAs) the key will be getting the shielding correctly connected to reduce noise pickup.
Cheers...this is what I had surmised also. The rubber is really to keep form.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

GrantB wrote:
Cheers...this is what I had surmised also. The rubber is really to keep form.
That's what I've observed. Likewise I've seen some pretty substantial plastic tube that separates the conductors from the shield in the cable.

i guess that's why you don't use these signal cables for speaker cables ;)

My Hi-Fi Speaker cables, Four conductor for Bi-Amp, are very substantial but these signal ones are really quite delicate

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

sty wrote: That's what I've observed. Likewise I've seen some pretty substantial plastic tube that separates the conductors from the shield in the cable.

i guess that's why you don't use these signal cables for speaker cables ;)
Just try it like wot they said!

Instrument cable is for use with high impedance sources like guitars... it's designed reduce the lowpass filter effect caused by the inherent capacitance introduced by the cable by keeping a larger gap between the conductors. You can lower your source impedance using buffers etc, your pedals may already have them.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

It will probably be designed for line level signals. It will also probably work perfectly and sound exactly the same as any other cable of the same length.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

It's all been said. Quality of your assembly will be the deciding factor. Skinny cable is a bonus on Boards; it's not going to be walked on or attacked by escaping cymbals and it's easier to bend where you want it.

If you paid lots for your cable, it will probably be 'directional'. If in doubt, look at the writing on the cable. Signal flows the same way as your eyes.
Don't know, don't care whether it's snake oil or not. Following the manufacturer's design specs consistently is unlikely to be a bad thing.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Snarblinge
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by Snarblinge »

on a side note this is also true of garden hoses, I always make sure I hook them up with the writing beginning at the tap.

;)
b.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Bg wrote:Just try it mate...
This approach won’t work. I need to ask everyone on the internets.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

I remember about 1000 years ago when robroy was still doing the Freedom Cables thing, he did a demo of his compared to poor quality ones and the only cable that made any discernable difference was the amp to cab one.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

When I went from cheap patch cables to lava ones I had to turn the treble down on my amp, high capacitance kills the top end :(
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.