Any "forever" amps?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Litterick
Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 268 times
Been liked: 89 times

Re: Any "forever" amps?

Post by Litterick »

Princeton Reverb II, with Fender 12F speaker.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

olegmcnoleg wrote:
null_pointer wrote:
olegmcnoleg wrote:
Ah, did you see that Princetonish listing Codedog had up--my old amp...a Princeton with 6L6s. I think he has sold it now, but it solves that problem exactly.
Aah - so I need a vintage rather than a reissue it seems...
I should have been clearer, you need the 6L6s :-)
Blasphemy! That would make it an under-powered Deluxe!

Hmm....

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 351 times

Post by WellyBlues »

Bg wrote:
JHorner wrote:
slash-ed wrote:
Surely someone can think up a more original joke to make :wink:
What happens when AX9?
Why would they add another button? :P
A Helix emulation mode?
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

null_pointer wrote:
olegmcnoleg wrote:
null_pointer wrote:
Aah - so I need a vintage rather than a reissue it seems...
I should have been clearer, you need the 6L6s :-)
Blasphemy! That would make it an under-powered Deluxe!

Hmm....
The result is really pleasing...Princeton tone but with more headroom. Needs a bigger O/P transformer as well.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

I dunno where I would need more volume in terms of stage sound regarding the Princeton - just mic it up and bam. A Princeton with a Swart Nightlight Jr is great gigging option for small-medium gigs I reckon. I like the 10" speaker too...for all the reasons of the other thread.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Capt. Black
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 245 times

Post by Capt. Black »

For me... Marshall Super Bass head coupled with G12H 4x12 and Jansen IA715 Head (6L6 version) with vintage Goodmans Alnico 2x12.

Never a dull moment with either of these rigs.

Kiwiaxe
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 244 times

Post by Kiwiaxe »

I can’t see myself ever selling my early years Mesa Boogie Mk IVa combo (imbuya wood, wicker grill). I’d say it’s loud as fuck but that would be a serious understatement.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Sorry what?
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

For me I would actually have to turn my amps on to say if something is a "forever" thing :mental:

The Katana absolutely rules, as does the EVH but honestly if something happened that meant I had to get rid of them then meh so be it. But then I have always been more attached to guitars than the thing that makes them louder :rofl:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

slash-ed wrote:
sizzlingbadger wrote:After seeing the shitty build inside the London Pro (double sided tape holding in relays), and its poor power scaling design (Which I managed a partial fix) I was put off owning any more of their amps. Maybe it was just that one though :cry:

My Friedman DS Mini is definitely up there as one of the best amps I have ever owned.
Really interested in this comment Nik, as a previous London Pro owner (but complete electrical/tronics novice).

What was wrong with the power scaling design? Anecdotally, when I had mine I never felt like it completely worked as hyped or advertised. Always felt "choked" when bringing it back to usable volumes.

Also assume you've opened up the DS Mini, and you find it to be acceptable (although non-handwired and bla bla)?
The power scaling reduced the entire HT line, this screwed the bias on the input tube so that you ended up with DC on the (grid) input of the amp. DC in your guitar makes the pots sound scratchy and could maybe even damage some pedals. I put a cap (4) on the input to the 12AX7 to block the DC.

The amp was built using good quality components, but then they stuck a PCB mount relay to the chassis with double-sided tape (3). They had another couple of relay's actually mounted on a PCB which was screwed to the turret board. This PCB had resistors mounted on it but only by one end (2) instead of both ends of the resistor going through the board for security. There was a small disc capacitor (1) that wasn't doing anything as it was soldered between ground & ground. It was just messy too, I did wonder if it was prototype that escaped into the wild.

The DS Mini is built very well, the PCB and its layout is more like a turret board but with copper tracks instead of wires. Tube sockets and pots are mounted to the chassis etc.

Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

That London Pro looks like some dodgy home build!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

sizzlingbadger wrote:After seeing the shitty build inside the London Pro (double sided tape holding in relays), and its poor power scaling design (Which I managed a partial fix) I was put off owning any more of their amps. Maybe it was just that one though :cry:

My Friedman DS Mini is definitely up there as one of the best amps I have ever owned.
Weren't these 2 built at the same factory? Or was your 65 a pre-OEM one?
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Here is another London Pro

"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

I actually reckon I'll hang onto the THR forever, it's just bloody brilliant, even sounds great with my bass!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

Hmm. I don’t think a ‘forever’ amp actually exists for me, as in my quarter-century of playing, I’ve changed tones and tastes with time and age. I prefer to think of amps like houses or cars – you purchase what is going to suit you for the time depending on life stage.

My focus for sound tends to be on something that does most things well, rather than a specific high-gain or super-clean platform, as I tend to always end up sitting the medium-high gain range of tones. For me, that’s always been EL34-based ‘British’ sounding amps.

In my early days during my late teens/early 20’s I had a DSL100 which is hit and miss depending on what you know/read about them and the ol’ shifting-bias issues. But this was the sound of my earliest successful bands. It did most things well enough and suited my budget as well as pairing well with my setup. Had this for about 7-8 years… some of you will know the story of what happened next after I sold it to another forumite… if you don’t, a good kicking for you!

Next was a Rivera Knucklehead which I had for a decade from 2006. It again did similar sounds, but just better. Just more alive and vivid. It was also built with extremely high quality and precision and suffered no issues in that time despite having been a touring amp for the now-defunct Kiwi-band “Zed” in the early 00’s. I ran it on 2/4 power tubes for ages and it still slayed most other amps alongside it. It seemed a natural progression and upgrade from the DSL and I would have happily kept this one for the foreseeable future…

… however, a chance test and a good deal on a Splawn Quick Rod in about 2013 swayed me into an unexpected but unregretful purchase. Essentially I have the best of both my previous amps, now coupled with an amazing matched cab care of kloppsta. Of all my amps, this is the one I’ve "past participle of get" the most tonal compliments and discussions about and is the most enjoyable to play. It is not perfect (of all 3 of my long-term amps, it has the weakest clean sounds, and it’s best run at high volume) but the gain sound is just hard to beat and constantly sounds good in all bands I’ve used it in. I ran this a/b with the Rivera for clean/low gain sounds for a while but found I played 70% on the dirt channels on the Splawn, so eventually let the Riv go to another appreciative forumite (sirvill).

However, the most interesting turn of things for me has been acquiring my Katana head about 8 months ago care of Opsguy. I was curious about the hype, and wanted a backup amp that I could use in either of my bands without changing all the settings, as well as at home. Katana head fits the bill, and for about ¼ the price of my QR. The most surprising thing is that it has now become my predominantly used amp due to the small form factor and weight for portability, the fact that without tubes to worry about, it’s relatively robust and , most importantly to me… it sounds about 85-90% like my QR with some relatively minor tweaking, no joke. No infinite layers of Inception-level soundscaping. About 20 mins of finding four channel presets for each band and then 2 second to hold a button and switch between them. Irony is that at this point, I would probably keep the Katana over the QR… but again, it comes down to that old thing of horses-for-courses.

All this being said, I’m about two months shy of 40, so my midlife crisis is due and is likely to point me in the direction of a new amp for the decade! :rofl:
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."