Any "forever" amps?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Re: Any "forever" amps?

Post by Slowy »

null_pointer wrote:... a Princeton that didn’t flub out at higher gain levels .....
Mk 1 Boogie?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

null_pointer wrote:Haven’t met the forever amp yet. I think I’d need to consolidate what I want to play to a more narrow field before I can land there I suspect. I know I need an AC-derived amp at the least (Matchless, Badcat, etc), and I would *like* a Princeton that didn’t flub out at higher gain levels in the nose.
Other than that, still on the journey!
How high gain are you talking? Olde school Prnceton's don't flub on full...with the right sort of speaker. I think the new ones tend to want to stay cleaner longer and that might be some of the issue?
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

slash-ed wrote:Also, just to be a dick (but to also participate in the thread), my forever amp is my Fractal AX8 lmao
Surely you mean Boss GT-1000? :wink:
Loving it so far

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

GrantB wrote:
null_pointer wrote:Haven’t met the forever amp yet. I think I’d need to consolidate what I want to play to a more narrow field before I can land there I suspect. I know I need an AC-derived amp at the least (Matchless, Badcat, etc), and I would *like* a Princeton that didn’t flub out at higher gain levels in the nose.
Other than that, still on the journey!
How high gain are you talking? Olde school Prnceton's don't flub on full...with the right sort of speaker. I think the new ones tend to want to stay cleaner longer and that might be some of the issue?
I’ve had a couple (reissues, the 65 and the 68), with the 65 having a Mercury Magnetics OT upgrade and a Celestion Gold. I found over about 3 1/2 on the volume if I hit it with my usual level of gain from pedals it blurs out. Not high gain, more level jump from the pedals. Which is a shame as I loooove the clean.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

null_pointer wrote: I’ve had a couple (reissues, the 65 and the 68), with the 65 having a Mercury Magnetics OT upgrade and a Celestion Gold. I found over about 3 1/2 on the volume if I hit it with my usual level of gain from pedals it blurs out. Not high gain, more level jump from the pedals. Which is a shame as I loooove the clean.
So the compression is too much? Next TronFest (which is overdue) I'll bring my vintage one...I think it does what you want...lifts up with clarity, but I do find you need to lower the gain on pedals a tad than say vs a big bottle Marshall clean.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

forever foreverever:

the trusty Marshall Mk 3. made for one year. huge amount of tones from a single channel amp, super simple circuit. misunderstood by most. no its not the dual reverb.
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

vintage52
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 363 times
Been liked: 128 times

Post by vintage52 »

jeremyb wrote:Boss Katana 50W, the boutique toob guys are still playing catch up!
Have to say I'm enjoying my 100 quite a lot.
Wellington

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Slowy wrote:
null_pointer wrote:... a Princeton that didn’t flub out at higher gain levels .....
Mk 1 Boogie?
Ah, did you see that Princetonish listing Codedog had up--my old amp...a Princeton with 6L6s. I think he has sold it now, but it solves that problem exactly.

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

I've had this Bogner Mojado head for 10 years now... and during that time I've also owned (And sold) a Soldano, AC30, Rivera, Tamerlane, Wolverton, a Boogie Mk. 3 and countless others. It has no master and no practical EQ (although the Schizo switch does change the voicing nicely) but just sounds great. My recently acquired '65 Bandmaster is also in the "forever" camp however but is very different, in the best possible way.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

olegmcnoleg wrote:
Slowy wrote:
Mk 1 Boogie?
Ah, did you see that Princetonish listing Codedog had up--my old amp...a Princeton with 6L6s. I think he has sold it now, but it solves that problem exactly.
Aah - so I need a vintage rather than a reissue it seems...

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

StratMatt wrote:
slash-ed wrote:Also, just to be a dick (but to also participate in the thread), my forever amp is my Fractal AX8 lmao
Surely someone can think up a more original joke to make :wink:
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

Most of them, 5E8-A(low power twin), just beautiful, seems to get louder with age, has twin Jensen ceramics, ought to change to alnico.
5E3 little punk amp, most usable :) Both these being Ryan builds.

Marshalls, the Ceriatone 800 head and another Ryan piece as a JMP50 clone circa 1968, housed in a Haze 40 shell.
Last edited by calling card on Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

slash-ed wrote:
StratMatt wrote:
What happens when AX9?

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

JHorner wrote:
slash-ed wrote:
StratMatt wrote:
What happens when AX9?
Why would they add another button? :P
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

null_pointer wrote:
olegmcnoleg wrote:
Slowy wrote: Mk 1 Boogie?
Aah - so I need a vintage rather than a reissue it seems...
I should have been clearer, you need the 6L6s :-)