Any "forever" amps?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Single coil
BANNED
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Re: Any "forever" amps?

Post by Single coil »

Given you’re a fairly well spoken bloke, I have to ask: Are you being a little bit rude?

I just realised how much OH MY factor my comment contains.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

werdna wrote:Mine is a plexi 100 w with Jose mod. Just add Les Paul. It makes me jump up and down with excitement.
What is the Jose mod?

In a big room the 100 watt heads with a quad are the ducks nuts and make me smile, in the house here they just hurt my head unless I run them into a load/IR loader
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Post by werdna »

chur wrote:
werdna wrote:Mine is a plexi 100 w with Jose mod. Just add Les Paul. It makes me jump up and down with excitement.
What is the Jose mod?

In a big room the 100 watt heads with a quad are the ducks nuts and make me smile, in the house here they just hurt my head unless I run them into a load/IR loader
Arredondo was an amp tech working in the 70s and 80s who figured out how to make Marshalls have higher gain. The Jose mod makes a plexi sound like on EVH's first five VH albums. EVH once said that his Marshalls were modded by Jose Arredondo, but later denied it.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

I thought he just turned everything up to within an inch of its life and went for it
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

k1w1
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 116 times
Been liked: 391 times

Post by k1w1 »

Not as impressive as some, then again I only play at home, but this 1954 Valco 5 watt is a little tone machine. Ryan recapped and restored it and did a great job ( back when he was reliable ). One volume knob, likes pedals, never going to be sold.

ImageIMG_1809 by Laurie Franks, on Flickr

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

My Jansen 4/12 copy i am 'building' looks like it is going to be my forever amp :oops:

Other than that very happy with my Princeton FSR.
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

I feel like I want a fender twin.
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 1039 times

Post by kdawg2a »

jeremyb wrote:I feel like I want a fender twin.
My first good amp was a 1972 silver face Twin Reverb. I used a 74 MXR distortion+ and a 72 competition blue Fender Mustang and it sounded amazeballs. This was in 1993. I still have the pedal and guitar. I've often wondered if I got the same amp again, would I like that set up. That said, I pretty much compressed all my vertabrea into dust when I owned that amp so maybe it's best not to know.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

Quite liked my 79 silverface. Couldn’t be in the same room with it when it was at operating volume though.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

This thread has made me worried.
Optimus Prime is a Forever Amp if there ever was one.
But I didn't call it that. :think:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

jvpp wrote:My Jansen 4/12 copy i am 'building' looks like it is going to be my forever amp :oops:

Other than that very happy with my Princeton FSR.
No, it's Conway's.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

sizzlingbadger wrote:After seeing the shitty build inside the London Pro (double sided tape holding in relays), and its poor power scaling design (Which I managed a partial fix) I was put off owning any more of their amps. Maybe it was just that one though :cry:

My Friedman DS Mini is definitely up there as one of the best amps I have ever owned.
Really interested in this comment Nik, as a previous London Pro owner (but complete electrical/tronics novice).

What was wrong with the power scaling design? Anecdotally, when I had mine I never felt like it completely worked as hyped or advertised. Always felt "choked" when bringing it back to usable volumes.

Also assume you've opened up the DS Mini, and you find it to be acceptable (although non-handwired and bla bla)?
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Also, just to be a dick (but to also participate in the thread), my forever amp is my Fractal AX8 lmao
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

kdawg2a wrote:
jeremyb wrote:I feel like I want a fender twin.
My first good amp was a 1972 silver face Twin Reverb. I used a 74 MXR distortion+ and a 72 competition blue Fender Mustang and it sounded amazeballs. This was in 1993. I still have the pedal and guitar. I've often wondered if I got the same amp again, would I like that set up. That said, I pretty much compressed all my vertabrea into dust when I owned that amp so maybe it's best not to know.
Got to spend time with a beaten up '72 Silverface Twin that had done years of backline service for Annie Crummer. It sounded fabulous with a Strat. It's punch, presence and volume were so excessive that after a few minutes you were too stunned to notice the volume anymore. (OK, I may have dimed it.)

Great amp. Glad Annie's brother has to lug it around, not me.

And what they say is true; at full volume, it's fat, clear, pleasantly compressed and still clean.
And all the AC30's are backing away.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

Haven’t met the forever amp yet. I think I’d need to consolidate what I want to play to a more narrow field before I can land there I suspect. I know I need an AC-derived amp at the least (Matchless, Badcat, etc), and I would *like* a Princeton that didn’t flub out at higher gain levels in the nose.
Other than that, still on the journey!