Rockit SuperLead 130

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Jake
Gibson
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 107 times

Rockit SuperLead 130

Post by Jake »

Picked it up this arvo, thought I'd share a couple of pics with you gents, sorry for the awful lighting.
Will need to source a speaker. Also missing the reverb unit which doesn't hugely bother me as I mainly use pedals, plus I have a tank I pulled out of an old Alron head... that's low on the priority list though.

Cursory inspection: blown fuse, everything else looks pretty sweet! No obvious scorch marks, or even much dust. Will buy a fuse tomorrow and go from there I guess. Tubes appear to be a pair of 6L6WXT+ and a pair of 6L6GC

Any suggestions for what speaker I should chuck in it? I know there are a couple for sale

Jake
Gibson

Re: Rockit SuperLead 130

Post by Jake »

el byrdo wrote:WOW cool. No tube sag here! cleans for days. you're going to need like 300w of power handling out of your speaker. Maybe one of the EV EVM12s that someone was selling? if that even has enough power handling...
I've been craving a bit more clean headroom since I rely on pedals for all my drive (since I have clean loops running) so this is going to be perfect :D
Neighbours won't be as stoked, 75w doesn't really class as bedroom practise volume...

kwhelan
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by kwhelan »

I've got one of those sitting here probably hasn't been turned on in 5 years but in great nick still and loud to be sure, what are they worth ? Im keen to get rid of it but damn its heavy so kinda f makes it a small market around here

Jake
Gibson

Post by Jake »

kwhelan wrote:I've got one of those sitting here probably hasn't been turned on in 5 years but in great nick still and loud to be sure, what are they worth ? Im keen to get rid of it but damn its heavy so kinda f makes it a small market around here
Seems like anywhere from $500 to a bit over $1k from my brief research, others on here might have a better idea though

EDIT: What am I on about, there's a MK6 like mine listed on TM for $1200 , no bids though... https://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instrum ... 605855.htm

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

I think they came with Fane Speakers.
JRC588's in the EQ section.
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

Jake
Gibson

Post by Jake »

Currently plotting a deal with Danny :wink: thanks though! This is why I love this forum...

Jake
Gibson

Post by Jake »

mrmofo wrote:I think they came with Fane Speakers.
JRC588's in the EQ section.
Like this one? https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listin ... 1921392704

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

Wow, cool amp.

I'm not sure if this is the same one, but Craig (Terexgeek) bought one of those to an early Christchurch gearfest once and it's still probably the loudest guitar amp I've ever been in the same room as! I think I'm including the time Matt maxed a Plexi through a 4x12 in that as well.

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

sty wrote:Wow, cool amp.

I'm not sure if this is the same one, but Craig (Terexgeek) bought one of those to an early Christchurch gearfest once and it's still probably the loudest guitar amp I've ever been in the same room as! I think I'm including the time Matt maxed a Plexi through a 4x12 in that as well.
I don't think it got much beyond 4 on the dial either! Mine was the SuperLead 75 with a 15 inch re-coned EV speaker. Value-wise it went to the Hawkes Bay in working condition for $300, oh well.
Tin arse!!

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

for me, all of the Aus and NZ built amps from the 60`s to early 70`s easily hang with similar models from the USA and the UK Except for the horrible Plessey/Phillips speakers. these speakers are what gives the older amps a bad name imo.
an old Gunn/Jansen Cab with proper Guitar speakers will sound bleedin great.
the Aussies got it right using JBL/Fane in Eminar Cabs. the Guys from Eminar were lucky enough to have access to Deep Purples amps in the early 70`s and Cloned Blackmoores Marshall.
around the same time The Kiwis were lucky to be assembling Fender Twin amps so they had the internals worked out as well.

Lots of good amps for cheap out there.

that Fane on Trade Me should be a winner

back in the 80`s Fanes were highly regarded, along with Pile, JBL and Celestion.

there was a company back then that were the last resort, post internet there are forums devoted to them.
funny how stuff changes
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

Jake
Gibson

Post by Jake »

el byrdo wrote:I want that fane!
That's you bidding on it right?

kwhelan
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by kwhelan »

interesting to know, my old rocket 130 has a fane 150w speaker , didn't realise they were so highly regarded, might have to actually do something and advertise the thing instead of it wasting away in the spare room

Jake
Gibson

Post by Jake »

el byrdo wrote:
Jake wrote:
el byrdo wrote:I want that fane!
That's you bidding on it right?
Feel free to bid I got a different speaker - an eminence legend
Much obliged! Will see what happens, would definitely be a more cost effective option for me...

Jake
Gibson

Post by Jake »

There's now an earlier model on TM for a reasonable starting price, will have to monitor it to gauge how much I can justify investing in fixing mine up https://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instrum ... 937112.htm

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

I’m sure nostalgia has coloured my memory, but one of my happiest tone memories is borrowing one of those wicker fronted ones. It was set up on a desk directly behind me in a small stage, and every note I held bloomed into in-tune feedback.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...