Why you need a preamp pedal

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Why you need a preamp pedal

Post by jeremyb »

I think he makes a good point, looking forward to my Joyo American coming (if Courier Post ever gets their act together....)

Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Re: Why you need a preamp pedal

Post by GrantB »

Yep!

"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

Watched this the other night, this guy has some good vids. I reckon I'm gonna pick up the Revv G3 preamp.
Loving it so far

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Yep, Helix LT.... / Thread
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

Why not use a graphic equalizer with a boost? or am i missing something?
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Kloppsta
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by Kloppsta »

StratMatt wrote:Watched this the other night, this guy has some good vids. I reckon I'm gonna pick up the Revv G3 preamp.
The Revv is not bad. In my experience it is similar to the Friedman BEOD in that it sounds cool but still has that “pedal” vibe to it.

Not saying this because Im selling one, but truly if you are after a high gain modern sounding preamp pedal, check out the Diezel VH4 and Herbert pedals. They are true pre-amp pedals with dual outputs, designed to run into a fx loop return or power amp. You can also run them into the front of a clean amp but then you ultimately are running one preamp into another. They run at high voltage so they react, sound and feel like an amp not a distortion pedal.

Mega tones!!! other brands worth checking out are Weebo, Jetter, Kingsley, Victory and XTS.

The Rev is not a true preamp pedal
Little by little, by hook or by crook

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

AiRdAd wrote:Why not use a graphic equalizer with a boost? or am i missing something?
Nope, that works
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

GrantB wrote:
AiRdAd wrote:Why not use a graphic equalizer with a boost? or am i missing something?
Nope, that works
Seems too obvious :lol:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

Kloppsta wrote:
StratMatt wrote:Watched this the other night, this guy has some good vids. I reckon I'm gonna pick up the Revv G3 preamp.
The Revv is not bad. In my experience it is similar to the Friedman BEOD in that it sounds cool but still has that “pedal” vibe to it.

Not saying this because Im selling one, but truly if you are after a high gain modern sounding preamp pedal, check out the Diezel VH4 and Herbert pedals. They are true pre-amp pedals with dual outputs, designed to run into a fx loop return or power amp. You can also run them into the front of a clean amp but then you ultimately are running one preamp into another. They run at high voltage so they react, sound and feel like an amp not a distortion pedal.

Mega tones!!! other brands worth checking out are Weebo, Jetter, Kingsley, Victory and XTS.

The Rev is not a true preamp pedal
Sweet! I'll check them out. Keen for something quick and easy to plug into to get my chug on.
Loving it so far

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

Kloppsta wrote:
Have you tried a Revv or owned one? It sounds great in Ola's demo, made me want one, but if it still sounds pedally then not so much.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

el byrdo wrote:My amps have preamps in them. Don't need another pedal..
Then you haven't watched the video!

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 837 times
Been liked: 358 times

Post by jimi »

jeremyb wrote:
el byrdo wrote:My amps have preamps in them. Don't need another pedal..
Then you haven't watched the video!
I just watched a big chunk of it, and I couldn’t find a bit where it made a clear point on why I should have a preamp pedal.

The bit about having an eq in front of your delays etc made sense, an I have a couple of pedals that work better with a clean boost going into them, but those are specific circumstances.

For me with my guitar-> dirt -> boost -> amp setup, there is no compelling justification in that video for what having a pre-amp in front of my pre-amp will add that I can’t do in the preamp I already have.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

yeah I got nothing out of that video. I would have though the best way to show what he was really talking about would have been with minimal effects at the start, then layer from there because all the playing he did was so heavily effected (think the edge) that I couldn't really hear f'all difference...now in my defence I skipped through because the guy just annoyed the fuck out of me
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Having a high impedance buffer close to your guitar will help avoid signal losses, especially higher frequencies.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

sizzlingbadger wrote:high impedance buffer [...] avoid signal losses
... wat
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.