10" Speakers?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

10" Speakers?

Post by Slowy »

I always default to 12's.
I hate the sound of 8's. Cheap, boxy, not to my taste at all.

But what about a couple of 10's? What do they do ?
Can one get 10" Gold and G10 H? My favourite combo in the bigger size?

Starting to wonder if 12's aren't bringing more bottom end to the band party than is really required.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Re: 10" Speakers?

Post by Bg »

Jensen 10" Alnico for the win.

Or a decent EQ, low cut.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 376 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Celestion have some new 10" Creamback's about to hit stores. 45watt, 96db
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

Bg wrote:Jensen 10" Alnico for the win.

Or a decent EQ, low cut.
Jensen p10r is one of my all time favourite speakers. So great.

Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 386 times

Post by Kris »

Slowy wrote:
Starting to wonder if 12's aren't bringing more bottom end to the band party than is really required.
Logically that make sense but Marshall 4x10 I used to have (1965?) Was one of the most massive hunks of junk in the trunk I ever did hear

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

Ben, what was the 10 inch speaker that you had in your combo that I tried some time back at Hamilton Gearfest? That sounded HUGE!!!
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

My Princeton has a Weber AlNiCo 10" in it and it is beautiful!

10" is more focused, but not less "big" sounding at medium gig volumes...higher volume, yes, smaller sounding. With Fender amps this focus helps tame some of the natural bass from the circuit design and big glass.

I think with smaller glass amps (EL84) probably need the bigger speaker to pushing more air, so 12's can be a better partner, but this is somewhat anecdotal...my experience is limited to AC15's with 10s/12s.

As an aside, my Supro has an 8" speaker (6V6 amp), and it does indeed sound huge! Plenty of depth, bass, volume.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

AiRdAd wrote:Ben, what was the 10 inch speaker that you had in your combo that I tried some time back at Hamilton Gearfest? That sounded HUGE!!!
Jensen P10R!

When I first got that amp, Ryan has both 10” and 12” baffles for it, so we tried loads of different speakers. It was no contest though- the P10R sounded best with that amp by a considerable margin.

I miss that amp...

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

A pair of 10s, rather than one 12, is what I would do. Agree about the Jansen P10... fantastic with a Fendery amp.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

bender wrote:
AiRdAd wrote:Ben, what was the 10 inch speaker that you had in your combo that I tried some time back at Hamilton Gearfest? That sounded HUGE!!!
Jensen P10R!

When I first got that amp, Ryan has both 10” and 12” baffles for it, so we tried loads of different speakers. It was no contest though- the P10R sounded best with that amp by a considerable margin.

I miss that amp...
Yeah, love the one in my vibrolux :) Fender Tweed + Jensen Alnico = Fender
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

Do you remember the 2x10 I had? It came from Mr Oleg with 2 Celestion Vintages and I swapped one out for a Gold. Sounded awesome.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

timely thread, Slowy. I blew the shit out of my 10 inch speaker in my Pro Junior yesterday. It's as dead as a dingo. Replacement needed, and I'm leaning towards something that can handle more watts so I don't blow it up again . . .

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

They sound the best in dem death throes tho! Make 'em squirm

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

I've had 3x rigs with 10 inch speakers - a fabulous 4x10 Mesa Boogie with Jensen Alnicos, an excellent Laney with a Jensen Ceramic, and a Fender Pro Junior with a unnamed speaker that looks exactly like a Jensen Alnico.

All of them had good points, but the overall thing I like is the slightly less bass and low end. I've had a few sound guys complement me because they didn't have to EQ out bass from my sound.

in a band, playing big crunchy chords I don't miss the bass at all. It fits great in my current band around our bassist with his ampeg.

The place where I'm not crazy about the 10s is actually playing solo clean guitar. In that scenario, I feel like I miss all the fat warm bass.

I'm going to try to my old Pro Junior speaker fixed, it's 20+ years old and sounded great while it worked.

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

I`m running a sealed cab with a 10 inch and an open back single 12 in series both are 4ohm.

I`m stoked with those two running together. amp is a Dark terror.

its a bit messy as they both are de-amped combo cabinets.

but, if you have access to an old Marshall BassState (this might sound dumber that usual) but they sound flipping great as a guitar cab.
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.