Sheeran by Lowden

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Re: Sheeran by Lowden

Post by null_pointer »

Hmm. So Sheeran is bland pop the chicks like, but we respect a whole bunch of guys from the 60s who did nothing but chick pop...the Big O wasn’t writing heady tomes about existentialism...
I think in 15 years people will be talking about how he’s a legend. Because longevity and success largely seem to define that title (especially in music).

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Danger Mouse wrote:Someone once asked me what I thought of Linkin Park, to which I replied they were just a shitty nu metal boy band with formulaic pop songs just wrapped up with heavy guitars to make them seem metal.

He then asked if I would join them, if I was given the opportunity to do so, to that I replied "in a fucking heartbeat". I'd be more than happy to sell out, if it meant that kind of success.

Ed's music is painfully bland, but if it gets him the success he has, bloody good on him.
Being catchy - it's not allowed. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

:lol:

Never mind that Chester was probably one of the best vocalists to come out of that era, and their music combined metal, hip hop and EDM influences, or that they continued to try and evolve their sound every album (to the point that the heckling of the last album from their original fan base probably contributed to his suicide).
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

his rather wealthy parents may have helped a little.

and his ability on a looper. but starving busker was a stretch.
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

Aaaaallllrighty then...

So... how's about that guitar line, eh? Slowy? Oleg? You reckon it's worthy of the "by Lowden" tagline? I never considered buying a Martin with laminates but, for some bizarre reason, I'm considering this one. Maybe a bit of Lowden fanboism? I guess a lot kinda hinges on the price point too.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1010 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

codedog wrote:Aaaaallllrighty then...

So... how's about that guitar line, eh? Slowy? Oleg? You reckon it's worthy of the "by Lowden" tagline? I never considered buying a Martin with laminates but, for some bizarre reason, I'm considering this one. Maybe a bit of Lowden fanboism? I guess a lot kinda hinges on the price point too.
Don't know enough about them - or Ed Sheeran for that matter. Can't place any of his music.

As for Lowden guitars: I have an S23 Custom model. It's a tiny little (00 Martin size) thing that can hold its own against a D28 and sound way better doing it.

The person who designs and builds something like that knows things about guitars that I don't.
So if he decides to build Ed Sheeran flavoured guitars, I say 'Bring it on'. :thumbup:

As an aside, If I was looking for tough, reliable touring acoustic guitars, laminate Martins would be high on my consideration list.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Slowy wrote:

Don't know enough about them - or Ed Sheeran for that matter. Can't place any of his music.

As for Lowden guitars: I have an S23 Custom model. It's a tiny little (00 Martin size) thing that can hold its own against a D28 and sound way better doing it.

The person who designs and builds something like that knows things about guitars that I don't.
So if he decides to build Ed Sheeran flavoured guitars, I say 'Bring it on'. :thumbup:
If it is any good, I'll buy one to replace my Taylor GS Mini. I had a Flambeau guitar for a while that was designed by George, but made more cheaply in Japan. It was surprisingly good, considering it was not all solid wood. It still had that amazing Lowden presence. Not much bottom end though.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1010 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

olegmcnoleg wrote:
If it is any good, I'll buy one to replace my Taylor GS Mini. I had a Flambeau guitar for a while that was designed by George, but made more cheaply in Japan. It was surprisingly good, considering it was not all solid wood. It still had that amazing Lowden presence. Not much bottom end though.
If they're GS Mini territory, I may have to join you!
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

slash-ed wrote:
Danger Mouse wrote:Someone once asked me what I thought of Linkin Park, to which I replied they were just a shitty nu metal boy band with formulaic pop songs just wrapped up with heavy guitars to make them seem metal.

He then asked if I would join them, if I was given the opportunity to do so, to that I replied "in a fucking heartbeat". I'd be more than happy to sell out, if it meant that kind of success.

Ed's music is painfully bland, but if it gets him the success he has, bloody good on him.
Being catchy - it's not allowed. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

:lol:

Never mind that Chester was probably one of the best vocalists to come out of that era, and their music combined metal, hip hop and EDM influences, or that they continued to try and evolve their sound every album (to the point that the heckling of the last album from their original fan base probably contributed to his suicide).
Oh I listen to plenty of catchy music :thumbup:

Chester's vocal style was all weenie screech, the worst thing that happened to STP. Hip hop and metal, yeah like that hadn't been done before. And yeah when nu metal became the Nickelback of heavy music genres, sure they tried to move as far away from it as they could.

YMMV and all that, but you ain't changing my opinion :lol:
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

kwhelan
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by kwhelan »

I spent hours in a music shop playing all manor of martins from solid wood to mahogany and the one I kept going back too and spoke to me was the laminate back and sides. I guess the others would open up with age and possible the strings were shot but on this day my ears preferred the laminate so i bought it. was a fight in my head tho
have never regretted it either

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by olegmcnoleg »

kwhelan wrote:

I spent hours in a music shop playing all manor of martins from solid wood to mahogany and the one I kept going back too and spoke to me was the laminate back and sides. I guess the others would open up with age and possible the strings were shot but on this day my ears preferred the laminate so i bought it. was a fight in my head tho
have never regretted it either
Cool, that's the way to buy, with your ears. What did you get?

kwhelan
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by kwhelan »

was at least 5 years ago or more but GPCPA5

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Slowy wrote:
olegmcnoleg wrote:
If they're GS Mini territory, I may have to join you!
I like the GS Mini. Put it to one side for me. :-)

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Yes, they are amazing guitars for their size and cost. I’ll put your name on it Molly.