Anyone in Auckland that teaches fretwork?

Self built and self assembly ;)

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 737 times
Been liked: 511 times

Re: Anyone in Auckland that teaches fretwork?

Post by Zaulkin »

I do want to refret my tele at some stage and make a new nut for it so I could be keen.

I have my own basic tool kit that I made up with help from the forum.

...unless I sell the tele before I start.

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

Do you have a list of things you need, because it's something I'm going to start doing :-)
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

Voxshall
Gibson
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 273 times

Post by Voxshall »

Zaulkin wrote:I do want to refret my tele at some stage and make a new nut for it so I could be keen.

Sounds good, just pm me when you're ready, we can organise a time and place then send an open invite to others if they want to join in.

Voxshall
Gibson

Post by Voxshall »

AiRdAd wrote:Do you have a list of things you need, because it's something I'm going to start doing :-)
I don't really know what I'm doing yet or what I need more of, once I get my tools I'll practice on cheaper guitars I have lying around until I build up confidence.

I would like to make a fret rocker, rather than using a credit card ha ha.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

Voxshall wrote:
AiRdAd wrote:Do you have a list of things you need, because it's something I'm going to start doing :-)
I don't really know what I'm doing yet or what I need more of, once I get my tools I'll practice on cheaper guitars I have lying around until I build up confidence.

I got a reasonably priced fret rocker from AliExpress ages ago. Well made (steel?) and all the edges are true when measured against straight edges I have.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

codedog wrote:
Voxshall wrote:

I got a reasonably priced fret rocker from AliExpress ages ago. Well made (steel?) and all the edges are true when measured against straight edges I have.
I have one of those. I don't know if it's straight though, as it will topple over if you try to stand it up on its edges. Because of that I used a ruler I got from stewmac ages ago.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

I'm too busy to teach....but, use this thread and ask me questions along the way. Happy to share what I've learnt.

Some real big first points...refretting maple, vs rosewood, vs ebony, vs bound/unbound, vs Rickenbacker etc etc....all require different approaches. Vintage wood too is VERY different from newer wood. Try lifting out an old fret from a vintage Fender rosewood neck without due care and you will have an ugly mess.

Also, the way the manufacturer put the frets will dictate how you approach some of the work. It's all actually quite complex if you want to be able to cover a lot of ground.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Lostininverness
Gibson
Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 136 times

Post by Lostininverness »

Grant, do you ever put in any extra fall away (what ever the term is) on the last few frets?

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Lostininverness wrote:Grant, do you ever put in any extra fall away (what ever the term is) on the last few frets?
Yes, sometimes there is no option. Vintage Fender's often have a "rising tongue"! You can't get rid of that without removing wood, and it's usually not a huge issue. So, I tend to install taller frets, ensure a straight line from the majority of the neck and then using my levelling bar, focus on taking the rise out, and sometimes just a little more.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

GrantB wrote:I'm too busy to teach....but, use this thread and ask me questions along the way. Happy to share what I've learnt.

Some real big first points...refretting maple, vs rosewood, vs ebony, vs bound/unbound, vs Rickenbacker etc etc....all require different approaches. Vintage wood too is VERY different from newer wood. Try lifting out an old fret from a vintage Fender rosewood neck without due care and you will have an ugly mess.

Also, the way the manufacturer put the frets will dictate how you approach some of the work. It's all actually quite complex if you want to be able to cover a lot of ground.
Indeed, its better on some to remove the frets sideways.
Always learning :)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Zaulkin »

Voxshall wrote:
Zaulkin wrote:I do want to refret my tele at some stage and make a new nut for it so I could be keen.

Sounds good, just pm me when you're ready, we can organise a time and place then send an open invite to others if they want to join in.
Likewise, will keep that in mind. Probably going to be busy for the next little while unless I have a really clear weekend.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

You're welcome to do it at my place, I have tools ;)

I have practice necks too :D

I'm reluctant to teach as I may have bad habits, but happy to help out.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

Hmm... wondering if I should start the equivalent thread for ChCh...

Voxshall
Gibson

Post by Voxshall »

codedog wrote:
Voxshall wrote:

Thanks, I'll have a look.

Voxshall
Gibson

Post by Voxshall »

Bg wrote:You're welcome to do it at my place, I have tools ;)

I have practice necks too :D

I'm reluctant to teach as I may have bad habits, but happy to help out.
That would be awesome.