The Forumcaster

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

The Forumcaster

Post by Slowy »

Attachment-1(1).jpeg
Since this was a consensus build, I'm asking for insight/opinions/suggestions.

This is a nice instrument; it plays well but I have an issue with the pickups. There are 4 sounds available, the two blended tones are nice, but neither pup alone inspires me. They are both immensely powerful and I have had to lower them extremely to cut down on the low end. That said, Conway likes them and he is a much more tasteful player than he gives himself credit for.

The absolute deal breaker is that there is nothing going on here that my other guitars don't already offer.

So, have considered:
Gold Foils from Lollar. Interesting idea but hugely spendy.
Routing it out and fitting either Humbuckers or Jazzmasters. No going back.
P90s. I have a guitar with a single Lollar P90. By my standards, it's ferocious. Looked at Bareknuckle Blues 90s yesterday and they seemed promising at a reasonable price.

What say you?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 558 times
Been liked: 175 times

Re: The Forumcaster

Post by Mattallica »

What about some mini humbuckers?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy wrote: Routing it out and fitting either Humbuckers or Jazzmasters. No going back.
This is what I'd do, and given it has a pickguard it doesn't really matter as you won't change anything people can see :thumbup:
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Mattallica wrote:What about some mini humbuckers?
My first thought. But they are smaller than the current pups. Probably look messy.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

jeremyb wrote:
Slowy wrote: Routing it out and fitting either Humbuckers or Jazzmasters. No going back.
This is what I'd do, and given it has a pickguard it doesn't really matter as you won't change anything people can see :thumbup:
So... humbuggies or jizzmeisters? And why?

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Esquire it with an unpotted and slightly microphonic low output something. Make it do one thing really well. Make it a guitar you just need to ride the volume on.

:-)

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

What pickups are in there now Slowy?
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy wrote:
jeremyb wrote:
So... humbuggies or jizzmeisters? And why?
Humbuckers, mainly because you can get all sorts of pickup types in a humbucker sized package :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

P90s.
Nothing that requires routing.
Haven’t heard anything good about foils that isn’t nostalgic rose tinted wank (originals were microphonic and awful etc).

Dimarzio make a huge range of p90 size HBs - perhaps one of those at the bridge.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 558 times
Been liked: 175 times

Post by Mattallica »

You could swap them around first to see if that makes any difference

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1777 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

Lollar low wind P90 in neck and lollar humbucker in the bridge (my no.1 guitar pickup config)

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Molly wrote:Esquire it with an unpotted and slightly microphonic low output something. Make it do one thing really well. Make it a guitar you just need to ride the volume on.

:-)
That's my single P90 PRS.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

AiRdAd wrote:What pickups are in there now Slowy?
A pair of Adrian's handwounds.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

KNNZ wrote:Lollar low wind P90 in neck and lollar humbucker in the bridge (my no.1 guitar pickup config)
Ooh.. like! Which version of the Imperial do you have in the bridge?

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1777 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

Slowy wrote:
KNNZ wrote:Lollar low wind P90 in neck and lollar humbucker in the bridge (my no.1 guitar pickup config)
Ooh.. like! Which version of the Imperial do you have in the bridge?
oops sorry forgot to specify I have lollar El Rayo humbucker in the bridge :D