Andy Timmons fanbois?

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Re: Andy Timmons fanbois?

Post by codedog »

chur wrote:
kwhelan wrote:its a bloody ibanez, that vaguely resembles a famous fender, they are not the same thing
have to think the coin pick contributes to the tone
Unsure I like the pickguard shape around the bottom horn either. First time I saw it I thought he'd broken it somehow before realising it was intended to look like that. I guess each to their own.
I'm a poor AT fanboi, have not been able to afford even the cheaper of his signature models. I may consider getting a premium version one day. I noticed that bottom horn too, looks a bit odd. I didn't like the finish on this one either.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

From his reply to a tone question in a comment on the FB video post:
OK...here ya go: My fingers and ears plugged into my ATZ-100 prototype into a JHS modded Blues Driver (then add Xotic AT-BB preamp for heavier sections) running into Mesa Lone Star Special split into another Lone Star combo in stereo via a Strymon Timeline in the effects loop. And a bit of time on the instrument beforehand :)) No money necessary...have fun!!
and re: pickups, no mention of what's in the bridge...
Another difference is the neck pickup is actually a neck Cruiser where as in my old AT100 it's a bridge Crosier in the neck. So this new ATZ-100 is even more vintage sounding. The roasted maple neck feels incredible! Will announce officially in January
Seriously, reading his replies and comments it's no wonder I'm a raving fanboi. He sounds like a genuinely down to earth nice guy!

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

I much prefer that Ibanez headtock too FWIW.

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

slash-ed wrote:
willow13 wrote:
griff7628 wrote:
Yeah. Would like to hear the same thing from one of those Marshalls under the Boogie..
not Andy but I think this arrangement is better than Andy's

Lol not for me. As much as I love those players that kind of arrangement is just so "G3 Vai" - overstuffed and excessive and just a bit of a circle jerk :lol:
Funny, I think much the same, incredibly predictable and ultimately boring. AT's version I was just glued to his playing, closely watching chords he was using and how he was using them.
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

Danger Mouse wrote:
slash-ed wrote:
willow13 wrote:

Lol not for me. As much as I love those players that kind of arrangement is just so "G3 Vai" - overstuffed and excessive and just a bit of a circle jerk :lol:
Funny, I think much the same, incredibly predictable and ultimately boring. AT's version I was just glued to his playing, closely watching chords he was using and how he was using them.
AT's solo arrangements are indeed nothing short of mersmerising for me. There's a video on YT of his solo arrangement of While My Guitar Gently Weep, played into what looked like a little Vox battery amp. Phenomenal.

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

willow13 wrote:
griff7628 wrote:
TmcB wrote:What a performance!

Man I hated the tone.
I greatly dislike overdrive on Strat neck pickups so take that with a grain of salt
Yeah. Would like to hear the same thing from one of those Marshalls under the Boogie..

it`s just kind of played thru with minimal rehearsal, still better than the OP link imo.
looks like the guy who did the lighting at the final Billy Brag aucks show did the lighting on the G3 clip
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

Why am I still amazed by how subjective taste in music can be? Bizarre...
Last edited by codedog on Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

its such a clumsy song to cover. all the original little tricky studio created moments just make it a drag to listen to.
Last edited by mrmofo on Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

The G3 clip was a lot better than I was expecting - more rehearsal time could have made better still. Yngwie was surprisingly restrained for once in his lifetime, but thank jeepers they gave Nuno the main melody lines. IMO Nuno is the most credential guy there to be playing Brian May/Queen stuff.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:The G3 clip was a lot better than I was expecting - more rehearsal time could have made better still. Yngwie was surprisingly restrained for once in his lifetime, but thank jeepers they gave Nuno the main melody lines. IMO Nuno is the most credential guy there to be playing Brian May/Queen stuff.
I thought the Andy version was amazing.

The G3 one is cool, but not the same level. I didn’t finish it. But Nuno’s neck pickup tone sounds great!
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

That AT video is the shizzz,
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

codedog wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:51 pm
Danger Mouse wrote:
slash-ed wrote:
AT's solo arrangements are indeed nothing short of mersmerising for me. There's a video on YT of his solo arrangement of While My Guitar Gently Weep, played into what looked like a little Vox battery amp. Phenomenal.
The video popped up on my YT feed today... had to post it...

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Reminds me of myself when I was first starting out :rofl:
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by codedog »

sizzlingbadger wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:40 am Reminds me of myself when I was first starting out :rofl:
LOL sure, I can say that about myself too... kinda. Only applies to the amp though, certainly not the playing!

blackstratblues
Gibson
Has liked: 412 times
Been liked: 487 times

Post by blackstratblues »