Single coil
BANNED
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Re: Finding the Right Fuzz Pedal

Post by Single coil »

Pix at
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

jeremyb wrote:
Slowy wrote: Asked Jb about the Iron Bell. He wasn't very complimentary but then I thought that might be a solid recommendation (different ears etc). Still waiting to find out.
Thats some mad logic right there :lol: will be interesting to hear what you think, I found it really thin and uninspiring, I'm a big muff fan and it really didn't measure up :(
Mad logic..... More, "Shit! Nobody else is bidding on this and now Jb thinks it's crap. Oops, I just won it." :rofl:

Actually, you compared it to a Musket and a Musket is way too much for what I want.

So...........
Just spent half an hour with it. Very much what I was looking for. I think I like it more than the One Control but I'll have to put both of them on the board to be sure. Plenty of time.

Thanks for your advice Jeremy; solid as usual. :thumbup:
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

olegmcnoleg wrote:I think the best answer to this thread may well be the Keeley Dark Side, but that is probably overkill as it will duplicate other pedals you have. Still, it does look good to me. Instant DG in a box.
I just looked at the Dark side; never seen it before. It's amazing, terrifying and way out of my league.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

Slowy wrote:
olegmcnoleg wrote:I think the best answer to this thread may well be the Keeley Dark Side, but that is probably overkill as it will duplicate other pedals you have. Still, it does look good to me. Instant DG in a box.
I just looked at the Dark side; never seen it before. It's amazing, terrifying and way out of my league.
No, it's not. It is awesome and it has great tone. And I want to try one :-)

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

Jb is always solid.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 928 times

Post by Reg18 »

mrmofo wrote:+1 on the Bush FX dood.

I asked him to make me a comp and OD in one pedal. both together into a dirty amp is good.
using fuzz with other pedals creates a strange relationship, in my experience the fuzz must go first in the chain, depends on what comes after it etc. it`s like having a drama queen girlfriend.
I normally have my Diamond Comp on first in the chain,
Do you think a Geemanium ToneBender would be effected by that?
I guess I’ll just have to swap things around when I get it to see what works.

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

Reg18 wrote:
I normally have my Diamond Comp on first in the chain,
Do you think a Geemanium ToneBender would be effected by that?
I guess I’ll just have to swap things around when I get it to see what works.
the Bush made COMP/OD has the comp first.
based on my experience which was limited to low grade cheapish fuzz units. newer more expensive fuzz box`s may have fixed the loading issue
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7686 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

olegmcnoleg wrote:
Slowy wrote:
No, it's not. It is awesome and it has great tone. And I want to try one :-)
I had one, it was awesome, the muff part is a little harsh on it's own but it's all tuned to work together and theres some epic gilmour tones available!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7686 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Slowy wrote:
jeremyb wrote:
Slowy wrote: Asked Jb about the Iron Bell. He wasn't very complimentary but then I thought that might be a solid recommendation (different ears etc). Still waiting to find out.
Thats some mad logic right there :lol: will be interesting to hear what you think, I found it really thin and uninspiring, I'm a big muff fan and it really didn't measure up :(
Mad logic..... More, "Shit! Nobody else is bidding on this and now Jb thinks it's crap. Oops, I just won it." :rofl:

Actually, you compared it to a Musket and a Musket is way too much for what I want.

So...........
Just spent half an hour with it. Very much what I was looking for. I think I like it more than the One Control but I'll have to put both of them on the board to be sure. Plenty of time.

Thanks for your advice Jeremy; solid as usual. :thumbup:
Dammit Bruce really makes me want to try one again now :lol: had a very different rig back then and maybe that was part of the issue... that said I'm really REALLY happy with the carcosa, does all the splatty stuff I love, just need another muff for those tones, kinda always wanted a big box one and maybe mod it a bit :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Single coil
BANNED

Post by Single coil »

Remove diodes 3 and 4.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

jeremyb wrote:
Dammit Bruce really makes me want to try one again now :lol: had a very different rig back then and maybe that was part of the issue... that said I'm really REALLY happy with the carcosa, does all the splatty stuff I love, just need another muff for those tones, kinda always wanted a big box one and maybe mod it a bit :)
You probably still won't like it. I'm going for as smooth as possible; a completely splat free sound. Not going to get it, but that's the goal.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

Slowy wrote:
jeremyb wrote:
You probably still won't like it. I'm going for as smooth as possible; a completely splat free sound. Not going to get it, but that's the goal.
Smooth splat free... hmm... I really think you should give that cheapie Mooer of Keon's a go. It has all those qualities you have repeated here several times. It won't have the cool looks or price tag of the big box branded stuff, but it's has that smooth splat free singing violin quality.

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

A long, but good article on the history of the ToneBender for those interested.

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/ ... ender-fuzz
Last edited by Reg18 on Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 374 times

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

Reg18 wrote:A long, but good article on the history of the ToneBebder for those interested.

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/ ... ender-fuzz
That's a great article - penned by ex-pat NZer Christian Livingstone (of the Datsuns and Magnetic Effects).

Pleased to see him give a plug for Super Electric at the end - told you they were good!

Reg18
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Reg18 »

Have just received my Tonebender/Bluesbreaker clone and it’s awesome!
Having never owned a Tonebender before I’m
Still trying to figure out placement in my chain.
I know everyone says first but strangely I preferred it after my Diamond compressor, is that normal?
And as I usually like to have a low gain OD on most of the time and then kick on the fuzz for a lead boost/big rhythm tone I’m finding the mids/low end drops out, any suggestions on that? If I put an OD after the TB it retains some of the mids but becomes very dark and if I put an OD before it is a lot clearer but the mids drop out.

Any suggestions?