Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

SOLVED: Mixer/Recording Interface Suggestions

Post by Cdog »

noob, needz halp!

Basically I want to play with amps, mics and guitar cabs to get cool sounds... and naturally it'd be fun to record those sounds on my PC. I currently have a cheap Tascam interface, but the mic pre's and headphone amp are rubbish. Whatever I get needs to sound really good.

* PC is old but running Win10, preferred interface is USB.
* I like the idea of a mixer
* It'd be nice to record more than 2 tracks at a time? Dunno
* Not sure if this will ever get used beyond the mancave, so don't want to over-capitalise.

So far, I liked the look of the A&H Zedi10 and Mackie Onyx Producer.
But I really have no idea what I'm doing :lol:

Suggestions welcome! :)
Last edited by Cdog on Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Re: Mixer/Recording Interface Suggestions

Post by codedog »

I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, USB powered and very easy to use. You get some useful plugins too. Previously I had a Behringer USB mixer. That was a bit of a pain to use for a noob.

I think JB has an M-Audio? The one with a big knob IIRC.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

Hmmm... the GAS is strong

Soundcraft Notepad 12fx (4xUSB i/o)
Mackie ProFX8 (2xUSB i/o)

I read some complaints about the ZEDi10 for noise in the pres and headphone amp, that's a bit of a turn off. :(
(Not sure if I'd hear the finest of details as I'm not exactly in a soundproof room, but sound quality is top of my list!)

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 605 times

Post by Lawrence »

I really like the Behringer mixers..I have the XAir 18 which gives you 16 XLR ins and 8 outs....but the smaller one is great too. The mixer apps give you choice - I use both the one on my PC via Ethernet and a cheap Samsung tablet for wireless - got one on my phone too. good internal FX tas well...
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

Lawrence wrote:I really like the Behringer mixers..I have the XAir 18 which gives you 16 XLR ins and 8 outs....but the smaller one is great too. The mixer apps give you choice - I use both the one on my PC via Ethernet and a cheap Samsung tablet for wireless - got one on my phone too. good internal FX tas well...
I had perhaps foolishly written Behringer off... bad experience with their little mixers feeling plasticy and cheap. Gotta say tho, that U-PHORIA UMC404HD looks very interesting, especially at the price point :think:

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7688 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Yeah the Behringer stuff is looking really good these days, seriously considering one of their rack mount interfaces for the new band so I can have a ton of outs for each virtual instrument, snare, kick, etc...
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Basket Case
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 108 times

Post by Basket Case »

Cdog wrote:
Lawrence wrote:I really like the Behringer mixers..I have the XAir 18 which gives you 16 XLR ins and 8 outs....but the smaller one is great too. The mixer apps give you choice - I use both the one on my PC via Ethernet and a cheap Samsung tablet for wireless - got one on my phone too. good internal FX tas well...
I had perhaps foolishly written Behringer off... bad experience with their little mixers feeling plasticy and cheap. Gotta say tho, that U-PHORIA UMC404HD looks very interesting, especially at the price point :think:
I have a U-Phoria UMC204HD for sale for $100. It's a crazy good interface for that kind of money. Metal casing too.

bender
Darth Fader
Has liked: 415 times
Been liked: 1010 times

Post by bender »

Any reason for wanting a mixer? There are some really great options for interfaces without mixers that would probably give better results. I’d highly recommend Audient interfaces- some of the best sounding built-in preamps out there. And they’re pretty well priced too.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

This one is what I was thinking of:

https://www.rubbermonkey.co.nz/Audient/ ... -Interface

Although Focusrite are also really good and a bit cheaper.

I’m not crazy about the preamps in the Behringer gear. Perfectly usable, but I thought the Audient and Focusrite ones were vastly superior. I liked the Audient ones more than RME TBH.

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

Disclaimer: I’m a sound engineer by trade- I’ve used a load of different interfaces, but also have standards that are probably higher than is necessary for these kinds of questions, so definitely take my comments with a grain of salt

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

bender wrote:Any reason for wanting a mixer? There are some really great options for interfaces without mixers that would probably give better results. I’d highly recommend Audient interfaces- some of the best sounding built-in preamps out there. And they’re pretty well priced too.
Ya... spose I had this idea in my head about mixers... I'm here to get better ideas!
(Things have changed since I last did any recording :lol: )

I' like a 2 mic channel interface at least, so I can try micing combinations etc. The next model up Audient iD14 has 2x mic inputs, but is realistically over budget. :think:

bender
Darth Fader

Post by bender »

Cdog wrote:
bender wrote:Any reason for wanting a mixer? There are some really great options for interfaces without mixers that would probably give better results. I’d highly recommend Audient interfaces- some of the best sounding built-in preamps out there. And they’re pretty well priced too.
Ya... spose I had this idea in my head about mixers... I'm here to get better ideas!
(Things have changed since I last did any recording :lol: )

I' like a 2 mic channel interface at least, so I can try micing combinations etc. The next model up Audient iD14 has 2x mic inputs, but is realistically over budget. :think:
Yes. The exchange rate has shifted them from pretty well priced to a bit on the pricey side since I first looked at them.

Focusrite USB interfaces are really good too. Rock solid drivers, good sound and great support. I think you get a pretty good stash of free plug-ins with them too (although I could be wrong about that).

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Cdog »

Thanks for everyone's input!
All suggestions were explored, I decided to go with Basketcase's generous offer and dip my toe in the Behringer U-Phoria
Chur :)