Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

P90 adjustment

Post by Slowy »

I want to play with the height of some P90s. They are currently screwed into foam blocks. If I put Strat springs on the screws instead, would there be any unexpected issues?
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Re: P90 adjustment

Post by Bg »

I've always just put some packing underneath the foam
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Not really, though the foam can sometimes be a c u next tuesday to pop off.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Single coil wrote:Not really, though the foam can sometimes be a c u next tuesday to pop off.
Dealt to the foam; it's so last week.

:D
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Bg wrote:I've always just put some packing underneath the foam
Refer to "I want to play with the height of some P90s. " in the post above.

I should have added, "Without having to remove the strings every time I want to increase the height a bit".

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Just use thicker foam so you can screw the pickups up and down. With springs the pickups are likely to tilt.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Slowy wrote:

I should have added, "Without having to remove the strings every time I want to increase the height a bit".
Put a bit of packing in there now, I presume you think they're too low? the foam gives maybe 5-6 mm height adjustment?

I don't see any reason you can't use surgical tubing/springs but if it isn't broken...
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Bg wrote:
Slowy wrote:

Put a bit of packing in there now, I presume you think they're too low? the foam gives maybe 5-6 mm height adjustment?

I don't see any reason you can't use surgical tubing/springs but if it isn't broken...
Quite the opposite; I've lowered them to flush with the pickguard and they work well (Yeah, not normal, I know). Now I want to incrementally raise them to see how far I can go before encountering the reason I pushed them down that far in the first place.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

sizzlingbadger wrote:Just use thicker foam so you can screw the pickups up and down. With springs the pickups are likely to tilt.
Yeah. The existing foam is very dense. And 'have springs, don't have springy foam.'

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1200 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Scouring sponge from the local shop + sharp knife.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

P90s do have a sweet spot quite close to the strings. On vintage style routes I use slivers of mahogany to lift to the right height then I screw it down. For new style routes, yep, foam is the go. You might need longer screws. Gibson standard ones are only just long enough at stock height.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

pararubber stock all kinds of excellent material for this kind of thing