Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Re: Best Strat wiring scheme

Post by Molly »

I'm putting a blender pot in the Knaggs. That and a treble-bleed are my go-to for any Strat.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

You need all 3 pickups in series!
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Voxshall
Gibson
Has liked: 144 times
Been liked: 273 times

Post by Voxshall »

I tried most of the strat wiring mods but in the end the only one that stuck was a .22 tone cap. I enjoyed a three way for a little while as I learnt to appreciate the middle pickup with the vol on the guitar down a bit, sometimes less options gives me more creativity. I understand the tone on the bridge pickup but I really love a bright bridge to cut through and also mix better with fuzz and vintage octave pedals.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

A bit late to the party, but for me the bridge tone control is essential. It's the only tone control I use, apart from on bass where I always use the tone a bit. I also have a push pull pot for the neck always on mod, the neck/bridge sound is a great addition to a Strat. Although bear in mind that the traditional Strat control knobs are hopeless for pulling out a push/pull pot, your fingers just slide off. I put a bit of araldite on the knob where I have the push pull and textured it up and let it dry, but the other option is changing for a different kind of knob or using a switch. I like my Strat to look as traditional as possible though so I don't like a switch.

I've never really been into the series wiring thing on Strats.

rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Post by rickenbackerkid »

Hi Sooty! Long time no see. Welcome back to the forum. 100% agree with you, a Strat just works better with a tone knob on the bridge.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1010 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

I'm seriously thinking of changing my Strat to a treble and bass rolloff like the G&L. I'm amazed how much tonal versatility that gives.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

blackstratblues
Gibson
Has liked: 412 times
Been liked: 487 times

Post by blackstratblues »

For me, the most useful is SSS with positions 1-4 assigned to Tone1 and position 5 (bridge only) assigned to Tone2. This requires a 4 pole 5 way “superswitch”, but being able to darken the bridge without middle+bridge sounding too dark is very handy. All 5 positions sound balanced with Tone1 on 8 and Tone2 on 4-5. You need to set the amp brighter than you would, but this improves the overall tone imho.

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

if the bridge pup is hot and high on the pickguard rolling the volume pot down acts as a tone control
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 351 times

Post by WellyBlues »

this article just published on premier guitar might help: https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/ ... a-tone-pot
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

BMW-KTM
Stagg
Stagg
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 20 times

Post by BMW-KTM »

Deleted
Last edited by BMW-KTM on Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

corsair
Gibson
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 4 times

Post by corsair »

V/T/Blend n+b, with a treble bleed for me....
There is no sort of aberrant behaviour that cannot be modified by use of the correct ammunition!