Distortion pedals for clean amp - no good?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Shimmer
Ashton
Ashton
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 296 times
Been liked: 90 times

Distortion pedals for clean amp - no good?

Post by Shimmer »

I read (somewhere...?) that a lot of distortion pedals (DS1, Rat et) sound best when in front of a slightly overdriven amp, and can be terrible in front of a really clean amp. And they recommended if using a really clean up to pair one up with a bit of an OD pedal.
What are people's experience with this? Truth? Nonsense? Somewhere in between?

[Context - I have the Vox MV50 Clean and aside from my home-made fuzz, wanted to get something more distortion-y, like a Rat/PepersRAD ].
I want all the pedals!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Re: Distortion pedals for clean amp - no good?

Post by jeremyb »

I find many distortion pedals can sound a bit thin unless you're going into a dirty amp, the DS1 is designed to be used with an already dirty amp, however.. some pedals like the dirty little secret run at 18V sounds awesome into a clean amp, used to run one into my old ZT Club and it sounded awesome!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

Not my experience. I run every amp I've had pretty clean - current Princeton is pristinely clean - and have no problems with higher gain pedals.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1777 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

I find the driver plays a role too. I have a v30 cab now and it sounds great with high gain pedals, my Fender DRRI with janzen sounded awesome with high gain pedals too but when I had the Princeton with Gold Celestion it sounded horrible with high gain pedals

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Conway »

Conway wrote:Not my experience. I run every amp I've had pretty clean - current Princeton is pristinely clean - and have no problems with higher gain pedals.
Of course, these are tube amps, not SS, and I'm not sure what those little Vox microtubes are like.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

“It depends”
But it is a common result. Adding an eq pedal (and using it correctly) can make the shitness go away.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Conway »

KNNZ wrote:I find the driver plays a role too. I have a v30 cab now and it sounds great with high gain pedals, my Fender DRRI with janzen sounded awesome with high gain pedals too but when I had the Princeton with Gold Celestion it sounded horrible with high gain pedals
Yes, I had that amp too. A Celestion Gold just does not belong with Fender Blackface IMO.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Conway »

Conway wrote:
KNNZ wrote:I find the driver plays a role too. I have a v30 cab now and it sounds great with high gain pedals, my Fender DRRI with janzen sounded awesome with high gain pedals too but when I had the Princeton with Gold Celestion it sounded horrible with high gain pedals
Yes, I had that amp too. A Celestion Gold just does not belong with Fender Blackface IMO.
I was talking to Bender yesterday - he now has that amp. The first thing he did was swap the speaker out.

telefiend
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 218 times
Been liked: 109 times

Post by telefiend »

I guess it depends what your ears hear, and what they like. Do what sounds good :thumbup:

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 971 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

A Friedman Beod pedal with the trim pot adjusted sounds sweet on a clean amp
:mental:

AiRdAd
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 57 times
Been liked: 696 times

Post by AiRdAd »

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned above, but you can use a distortion pedal 1) to drive a tube amp into distortion or 2) to give you the distorted sound into a clean amp A pedal that is really good for adding colour to a tube amp or driving it, may not sound good into a clean amp trying give you the distorted sound - and vise versa. plus - there will be whole lot of pedals that will do be in the middle.

If you are using a clean amp, maybe it's better to be looking for something along the lines of one that gives you the distorted sound that you're after?
Slowy wrote: To Danny, everyone is either a supplier, customer or a courier.

calling card
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 855 times
Been liked: 274 times

Post by calling card »

It's just diodes clipping. Nothing wrong, if you like how it sounds.
2024; I have explored the extent of the perimeter dome, there is no escape. I am become Morpheus

mugamee
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 31 times

Post by mugamee »

Depends actually...some pedals/ amps pair well while others don't-- and the quest for the perfect match up is what makes it fun.
Fuzz Face Forever...
Get in touch with me via Instagram: mugvug_and_ollie

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

When I had a JC120, which is known for 'crispness' I had an always-on hotcake last in the chain to soften things up a bit. Some distortion pedals do weird things to the high frequencies (listen to them direct into a desk/stereo!) , I reckon some amps just filter that out better than others. That may be why singlecoil's eq suggestion works too.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

MrDINO
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by MrDINO »

Some tube amps in my experience take pedals well ( as previously mentioned) and others not so well. Most boogies I’ve owned worked best with the onboard channel swapping rather than using pedals. My fav amps ( at present) are single channel, slightly pushed the rest with either a booster or drive/fuzz. We all like different sounds and it does take a while Imho to get a sound you can smile at.