If money were no object...

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

GrantB
ADMIN
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Re: If money were no object...

Post by GrantB »

So very predictable. It would indeed be a 1959 Les Paul Standard - one that I knew though. I have played a few that tick all the boxes. Although, I would settle for a 1959 ES-335 in birdseye blonde or a 1957 Goldtop.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

GrantB wrote:So very predictable. It would indeed be a 1959 Les Paul Standard - one that I knew though. I have played a few that tick all the boxes. Although, I would settle for a 1959 ES-335 in birdseye blonde or a 1957 Goldtop.
No good ones made in 1956?
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

higainer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 61 times

Post by higainer »

willow13 wrote:this subject has come up on here a few times over the years and I always had an answer. But now I can't say I do ...... which I think is sad :rofl:
Whaaaaat?
No RR1 or DeMartini Frenchie?
Give yourself an uppercut :rofl:

Probably a 59 LP for me as per thread title.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

jvpp wrote:
GrantB wrote:So very predictable. It would indeed be a 1959 Les Paul Standard - one that I knew though. I have played a few that tick all the boxes. Although, I would settle for a 1959 ES-335 in birdseye blonde or a 1957 Goldtop.
No good ones made in 1956?
Nah - if you have one send it to me and I’ll dispose of it.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 836 times
Been liked: 358 times

Post by jimi »

Something like this:

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

A whale blue flamey PRS Custom 24 with roasted maple board, a single bridge Lollar P90 and a wrap stop tail piece.
Or a Fender Custom Shop Esquire in Lake Placid Blue, Vintage Modern neck, Maple board, black guard and Broadcaster bridge pup.
Or a Govan Charvel.
Or a Eric Johnson Strat.
Or a ES Les Paul.
Or a Setzer Gretsch.
Or a 60's SG Jr.
Or a Yamaha SA2200.
Or a Yamaha Weddington.
Or a Yamaha SAS 1500
Or any ASH Customworks or Radian I can lay my hands on.
Tin arse!!

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Post by StratMatt »

Would probably buy Pageys number 1 actually. That guy loves making a few extra bucks when he can.
Loving it so far

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

probably that 6k PRS with the rosewood neck at Krd RS
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

Too hard to choose an electric for me as every time I've tried one of the guitars I want to like I don't get on with it. I do really love the Ash Customworks Donnie I've got, but why get another one or a similar one...

The nicest guitar I've played but couldn't/wouldn't afford though was a Taylor 812 acoustic, so I think that is what I'd go for (or an 814) with a bit of bling on it or nice fancy woods :)

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 376 times

Post by Dharmajester »

StratMatt wrote:Would probably buy Pageys number 1 actually. That guy loves making a few extra bucks when he can.
Fuck that. I'd buy his house ( tower house) :lol:
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

werdna
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 590 times
Been liked: 458 times

Post by werdna »

I'd have Eddie Van Halen's arms grafted onto my body. First I'd have my own arms removed, or it would look funny.
In life, don't sweat the petty stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

werdna wrote:I'd have Eddie Van Halen's arms grafted onto my body. First I'd have my own arms removed, or it would look funny.

paging Doogie Houser: we have John Holmes on line two
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

werdna wrote:I'd have Eddie Van Halen's arms grafted onto my body. First I'd have my own arms removed, or it would look funny.
Goro disagrees.
Tin arse!!

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:... what guitar would you buy? Image
Utilitarian these days and try not to have object fetishes, but i still hanker for the old guitars due to falling for the hype at times. Norms Rare Guitars videos mostly..

I would find a guitar that I like the sound of and feels good to play in the way the lets me hit the notes and bends the way I am thinking them. Most likely it would be a Gibson because I am so used to them. If i came into lots of money, i think i would be hard pressed to do much better than my current one.

Fret work is really important to me, so i would spend money on that. if the crown on the frets is not right I can get my fingers struck when sliding up the neck. It's kind of like how tall people bang their heads in doorways. It messes me up for a second or two and makes me lose my place.

I do not have an acoustic currently. I have a thing for those old Guild ones. That might be on the shopping list.

I also like stuff with the word 'super' in the name. Super Reverb, Superlead, and even Supro. A Torpedo Studio to run them and better monitors would be nice, but even better would be a big barn out in the country with amps at one end and a long curly cable going to the other. Loud PA too, so i can still jam to my bedroom guitarist backing tracks.

SimonHirst
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 254 times

Post by SimonHirst »

I've been thinking about this since I first saw the great thread title and, embarrassingly, I'm just not sure. Most of the guitars I would like are probably well within the realm of reasonable prices... A really nice old Gibson, or Gretsch from the 60's would be cool. If I had to name one though it would probably be an old Gibson J-45 from the early 60's, or perhaps a pre CBS Strat.
The main thing I'd be after is the feeling that it had some good songs in it!
Please don't swing the ban hammer on me for such a lame answer Beeg....haha!