Home built Princeton head on trademe...

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Mini Forklift
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl

Re: Home built Princeton head on trademe...

Post by Mini Forklift »

Mike Clayton wrote:Hi all and thanks for the feedback. Yes, many many hours to build but it's so much fun for certain types! For what is worth I was very careful and both this and #1 operated on first power up. Interestingly, this one was quieter than #1 which could be as a result of the experience gained from the first build. And to my ear, there are no perceivable tonal differences between the two. For Conway, I think the main advantages of careful building with eyelet boards, hand wiring and chassis mounted valves are reliability and ease of modification or repair. IMO this is as close as you'll get to a vintage BFPR at a reasonable cost (my aim), but with the advantages of all new components and some circuit improvements. P.S. The Fender AA1164 circuit schematic is easily obtained via the interweb but I will provide the purchaser a copy and details of the improvements done.
Welcome to the forum Mike :thumbup:

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
Mike Clayton wrote:Hi all and thanks for the feedback. Yes, many many hours to build but it's so much fun for certain types! For what is worth I was very careful and both this and #1 operated on first power up. Interestingly, this one was quieter than #1 which could be as a result of the experience gained from the first build. And to my ear, there are no perceivable tonal differences between the two. For Conway, I think the main advantages of careful building with eyelet boards, hand wiring and chassis mounted valves are reliability and ease of modification or repair. IMO this is as close as you'll get to a vintage BFPR at a reasonable cost (my aim), but with the advantages of all new components and some circuit improvements. P.S. The Fender AA1164 circuit schematic is easily obtained via the interweb but I will provide the purchaser a copy and details of the improvements done.
Welcome to the forum Mike :thumbup:
Welcome back ;) Mikes been a member since 2003...
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Bg wrote:Welcome back ;) Mikes been a member since 2003...
Haha, I didn't notice that. Just saw that it was his first post.

Guess that's why Bg gets paid the big $$ :crazy:

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

Thanks Mike, I've sent you a private message.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Conway wrote:
Thanks Mike, I've sent you a private message.
Sounds like a result, Conway. :thumbup:

Hi Mike. Building anything else?

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1309 times
Been liked: 867 times

Post by MikeC »

I've already built a 5E3 head (a Trinity kit, really nice - my first build), a BF Princeton (non reverb), 2 x by BFPRs and a Marshall Plexi 50 head. But amp parts are now so expensive with the high US$ (not to mention freight) that I'm not looking at building anything at present, although a hand-wired Vox AC15 Reverb is something I'd like to build! Or if I can get my hands on a faulty valve amp (at the right price) then I'd be interested in repairing it.
Whakanuia o mea kei a koe

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

BTW I've got my eye out for a 12" Fender/Eminence "Special Design" yellow label speaker in good order. My other BFPR is in a pine combo cab and I want to replace the WGS G12Q 12" 20W speaker that's currently loaded.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 377 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Mike Clayton wrote:I've already built a Marshall Plexi 50 head.
Yes and I have it. :thumbup:
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Anvil Amps Alan
Gibson
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Anvil Amps Alan »

Mike Clayton wrote:I've already built a 5E3 head (a Trinity kit, really nice - my first build), a BF Princeton (non reverb), 2 x by BFPRs and a Marshall Plexi 50 head. But amp parts are now so expensive with the high US$ (not to mention freight) that I'm not looking at building anything at present, although a hand-wired Vox AC15 Reverb is something I'd like to build! Or if I can get my hands on a faulty valve amp (at the right price) then I'd be interested in repairing it.
You are right about the Freight from USA.
I am trying to find other sources of Valves and components without too much luck.
I have virtually run out of stock but the shipping fees are so outrageous from CE Distribution and New Sensor that I cannot
price valves for repairs at a reasonable price.
The buggers will not ship via NZ Post Youshop either.
Then there is the NZ$400 limit before your stuff gets nabbed at the airport and attracts more charges and requires a trip to the airport to pay
and collect.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a
delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an
unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

Anvil Amps Alan wrote:
Mike Clayton wrote:I've already built a 5E3 head (a Trinity kit, really nice - my first build), a BF Princeton (non reverb), 2 x by BFPRs and a Marshall Plexi 50 head. But amp parts are now so expensive with the high US$ (not to mention freight) that I'm not looking at building anything at present, although a hand-wired Vox AC15 Reverb is something I'd like to build! Or if I can get my hands on a faulty valve amp (at the right price) then I'd be interested in repairing it.
You are right about the Freight from USA.
I am trying to find other sources of Valves and components without too much luck.
I have virtually run out of stock but the shipping fees are so outrageous from CE Distribution and New Sensor that I cannot
price valves for repairs at a reasonable price.
The buggers will not ship via NZ Post Youshop either.
Then there is the NZ$400 limit before your stuff gets nabbed at the airport and attracts more charges and requires a trip to the airport to pay
and collect.
This. To build a clone tube amp in NZ costs more in parts than a 2nd hand real one. Total lamesauce :grump:

MikeC
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by MikeC »

"Real" BFPRs start at around $NZ 3500.00 + shipping + GST. Re-issues start at about $NZ 1200.00 + shipping + GST. More importantly, the re-issues use printed circuit boards and people commonly "gut" them, sell the circuit boards on Ebay and build a hand wired version inside! And GST will soon be charged on ALL imported items (no $limit) - this is going to be introduced in 2019. Alas it getting harder!!!

Cdog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3465 times
Been liked: 711 times

Post by Cdog »

Bah .. don't get me started. Nice build Mike, hope you manage to keep at it, you have a real talent :)

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Was cheaper when basil was winding transformers :(
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1777 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

Congrats Conway!!!

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

You bought it then? Took your time... ;-)