Return of the Gibbons shocker thread!

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Re: Return of the Gibson shocker thread!

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I don't recall seeing any guitars in my Brazilian dream.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Brazilian rosewood fretboard is only going to add a couple of hand shandy at most, they're just cashing in on exclusivity :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Litterick
Gibson
Has liked: 268 times
Been liked: 89 times

Post by Litterick »

I suppose its purpose is to show everybody that Gibson is still here. Only collectors – affluent professionals going through a mid-life crisis – could afford it, but it indicates that Gibson has the confidence to make an expensive guitar. And because it is unattainable, expensive and rare, the affordable guitars at your local Gibson dealer seem that much more attractive.

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 352 times

Post by WellyBlues »

I wish I was an affluent professional, that way my late-mid life crisis would be more tolerable. :roll:
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

Jay
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1630 times
Been liked: 1297 times

Post by Jay »

Perhaps this is a better fit?
WellyBlues wrote:I wish I was an effluent professional, that way my late-mid life crisis would be more tolerable. :roll:
When faced with quality, I recognise it every time.

Litterick
Gibson

Post by Litterick »

Tony Soprano was a waste management consultant.

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 352 times

Post by WellyBlues »

so Gibson is saved(?)

Bankruptcy, Henry out (sort of), bondholders managing the company (which is normally a codeword for "will decimate the brand") but the bondholder guy says the right thing at the end of the article. Have to wait and see I suppose.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/ceo-hen ... bankruptcy

The guitars in the picture are gorgeous. Just sayin'.
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

WellyBlues wrote:so Gibson is saved(?)

Bankruptcy, Henry out (sort of), bondholders managing the company (which is normally a codeword for "will decimate the brand") but the bondholder guy says the right thing at the end of the article. Have to wait and see I suppose.

That pic looks suspiciously computer generated... which would infer that current Gibsons are so ugly they had to use that instead of a stock photo :lol:
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

WellyBlues wrote:so Gibson is saved(?)

So, we wait to see who they have appointed as the next CEO. Crikey, I hope it is GrantB.

Litterick
Gibson

Post by Litterick »

Things are looking up, according to Bloomberg:
The company can now exit bankruptcy under a new board of directors, a majority of whom will be guitar players, said Matthew Ross, the KKR director who led the private equity company’s takeover effort.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... bankruptcy

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Litterick wrote:Things are looking up, according to Bloomberg:
The company can now exit bankruptcy under a new board of directors, a majority of whom will be guitar players, said Matthew Ross, the KKR director who led the private equity company’s takeover effort.
"I will continue to aid Gibson for at least a couple more years, and my mission, really, is to pass on the knowledge and the tools to allow the next generation of management to really excel and bring the brand to a whole new level,” Juszkiewicz told Guitarist recently."

Hopefully this is no more than a face saving exercise.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

kwhelan
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by kwhelan »

wipe $500 mil of debt , just rolls of the tongue doesn't it

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Slowy wrote:
"I will continue to aid Gibson for at least a couple more years, and my mission, really, is to pass on the knowledge and the tools to allow the next generation of management to really excel and bring the brand to a whole new level,” Juszkiewicz told Guitarist recently."

Agreed. Like asking Kenneth Lay to hang around to pass-on how he ran Enron.

I heard a good saying this week - if you want to own a small company, buy a big one and get accountants to run it. I hope this doesn’t become Gibson. I haven’t had a response to my application for CEO. Maybe the request for one new R9 every month as a fringe perk was too much.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

GrantB wrote:
Slowy wrote:

Agreed. Like asking Kenneth Lay to hang around to pass-on how he ran Enron.

I heard a good saying this week - if you want to own a small company, buy a big one and get accountants to run it. I hope this doesn’t become Gibson. I haven’t had a response to my application for CEO. Maybe the request for one new R9 every month as a fringe perk was too much.
You phrased it wrong. The monthly R9 is for quality assurance purposes.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Slowy wrote: You phrased it wrong. The monthly R9 is for quality assurance purposes.
Want a seat on the board? I like your thinking.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves