Forums have been slow, how about a 'In the mail' thread?

Gear Aquisition Syndrome is a serious disorder.... FX etc

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Re: Forums have been slow, how about a 'In the mail' thread?

Post by slash-ed »

Conway wrote:
bender wrote:I appreciate where you guys are coming from, but that seems fairly petty.

If the guy was truly a fuckwit to deal with, then sure, but it kinda just seems that you didn't want to wait a few days to order.

I could just be reading the situation wrong of course.

Also- who's to say this dude isn't just starting a business and has a day job for the rest of the week? We're such a small country that that kind of business is one of the few ways we can get any variety. Again, apologies if he was legitimately an arsehole about it, but his opening hours strikes me as a pretty thin reason to go elsewhere.
I've actually been to his showroom and met the guy. He's a very pleasant, easy to talk to chap who is a keen guitarist and I gather this is just a sideline for him. He has a fair investment in stock with all the Jackson and Victory amps he carries. We chatted for quite some time about gear.

He's a little bit different to Malcolm/Guitars Rock - Malcolm is retired and can sit out in his garden shed all day answering emails and sending things off straight away.
Ohh, now that you mention Jackson amps I know who you're talking about.

He was stocking the Xvive U2 wireless units when they first came to NZ (now RS have the agency I believe). He was really helpful with all the issues I was experiencing with interference - when I thought the first pair was faulty he actually came out to hand deliver a replacement set to my office, and when those didn't work well for my situation either, he refunded it no questions asked.

So perhaps Molly just caught him on a bad day but in my experience, he was good to deal with.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

slash-ed wrote:
So perhaps Molly just caught him on a bad day..
Maybe. Hope so.

Initial impressions. It sounds great. Tremolo is a bit 'on/off' but I don't use it much so not too fussed about that. Very dynamic an' all that.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

Molly wrote:
slash-ed wrote:
Maybe. Hope so.

Initial impressions. It sounds great. Tremolo is a bit 'on/off' but I don't use it much so not too fussed about that. Very dynamic an' all that.

Oooh very interested to hear more about this, being a raving RK fan
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 376 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Molly wrote:
slash-ed wrote:
Maybe. Hope so.

They so remind me of the old UK Linear L50's. The first amp for players in 68 from which you'd graduate to a Selmer then if you were really flush a Marshall.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

philly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 126 times

Post by philly »

i had a selmer treble n bass 50 as a schoolkid.. superb!
“Millions long for immortality who don’t know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.”

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Can't speak for that comparison but I imagine it's entirely aesthetic. Martin Kidd is the ex-Cornford guy I gather. Certainly seems to know his stuff.

The demos out there say more about the amp than I ever could. I just like that it has that 'bloom' thing (the way you might think of Brian May's tone) whereby it swells and drives as you increase the attack. Lots of amps do that I suppose and I didn't buy this for a specific RK tone. It was primarily for practical purposes. I wanted something single channel and simple but with a boost, reverb and trem. And it had to be portable (y'know... for all those fly gigs I do...).

Just based on the hour or so I've had with it I'm very happy. It's the best my Tele has sounded for sure. My THD cab might be a bit dark sounding with it but it does have a lower-end thud that I never heard with the Friedman Runt (might be something to do with the speaker damping button). Other than that, the tremolo is kind of on/off where you might want it to swell in and out. The digital reverb is good though. Footswitches and general quality of it all seems very good. Comes with a nice carry case too.

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 971 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

Molly wrote:Can't speak for that comparison but I imagine it's entirely aesthetic. Martin Kidd is the ex-Cornford guy I gather. Certainly seems to know his stuff.

The demos out there say more about the amp than I ever could. I just like that it has that 'bloom' thing (the way you might think of Brian May's tone) whereby it swells and drives as you increase the attack. Lots of amps do that I suppose and I didn't buy this for a specific RK tone. It was primarily for practical purposes. I wanted something single channel and simple but with a boost, reverb and trem. And it had to be portable (y'know... for all those fly gigs I do...).

Just based on the hour or so I've had with it I'm very happy. It's the best my Tele has sounded for sure. My THD cab might be a bit dark sounding with it but it does have a lower-end thud that I never heard with the Friedman Runt (might be something to do with the speaker damping button). Other than that, the tremolo is kind of on/off where you might want it to swell in and out. The digital reverb is good though. Footswitches and general quality of it all seems very good. Comes with a nice carry case too.

I hope your playing without a pick :)
:mental:

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Olderama wrote:
I hope your playing without a pick :)[/quote]

Erm, yeaaaaah..... :oops:

By the way, Andertons did a mega job packaging it. Original box was put inside another with large foam corners. Box was bloody massive. Even my kids laughed when they saw the size of the amp that came out of that huge box.

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 971 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

Molly wrote:
Olderama wrote:
I hope your playing without a pick :)
Erm, yeaaaaah..... :oops:

By the way, Andertons did a mega job packaging it. Original box was put inside another with large foam corners. Box was bloody massive. Even my kids laughed when they saw the size of the amp that came out of that huge box.[/quote]
Yep
Them and Thomman certainly know how to pack stuff :thumbup:
:mental:

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Molly wrote: My THD cab might be a bit dark sounding with it but it does have a lower-end thud that I never heard with the Friedman Runt
Take off the grille cloth and remove the duct tape 'beam blockers'. You might notice a difference.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Slowy wrote:
Molly wrote: My THD cab might be a bit dark sounding with it but it does have a lower-end thud that I never heard with the Friedman Runt
Take off the grille cloth and remove the duct tape 'beam blockers'. You might notice a difference.
Ah. OK. Will do. Thanks.

I thought maybe because it's got such high power handling that it might not be getting to move much at lower volumes. Could be talking out of my rear end there of course. The matching cab for this amp has Creamback 65s in it.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Molly wrote:
Slowy wrote:
Ah. OK. Will do. Thanks.

I thought maybe because it's got such high power handling that it might not be getting to move much at lower volumes. Could be talking out of my rear end there of course. The matching cab for this amp has Creamback 65s in it.
I also found it to be really focused. What you heard depended on where you stood and the highs were in a tight beam.
You could also remove one of the rear panels if this was an issue.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Slowy wrote:
Molly wrote:
Slowy wrote: Take off the grille cloth and remove the duct tape 'beam blockers'. You might notice a difference.
Ah. OK. Will do. Thanks.

I also found it to be really focused. What you heard depended on where you stood and the highs were in a tight beam.
Removed the duct tape. Interesting it was only over the speaker that I'd decided i didn't like as much as the other (I've wired it with two independent 16ohm inputs). Now the tape's gone I find it harder to hear a difference. :thumbup: We're talking home volumes here by the way so I'm not making any huge declarations about the pros and cons of beam blockers.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Slowy »

Molly wrote:
Slowy wrote:
Molly wrote:
Ah. OK. Will do. Thanks.

Removed the duct tape. Interesting it was only over the speaker that I'd decided i didn't like as much as the other (I've wired it with two independent 16ohm inputs). Now the tape's gone I find it harder to hear a difference. :thumbup: We're talking home volumes here by the way so I'm not making any huge declarations about the pros and cons of beam blockers.
Thought I'd done both. Let me guess; you didn't like the Longhorn?
And yeah; louder is more. Incredibly clear and detailed in a band setting, that cab.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Slowy wrote: Thought I'd done both. Let me guess; you didn't like the Longhorn?
And yeah; louder is more. Incredibly clear and detailed in a band setting, that cab.
The Vintage one was the one I liked least but there was nothing in it and even less with the tape removed. Shame I didn't have this amp a week ago. Would've been nice to take it to Gearfest and hear it and the cab at a decent volume.