Moderator: Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Re: Synthamasizers

Post by Bg »

1080 was class, I had one and quite a few of the expansions.
Over the years I've had loads of hardware synths and samplers - my thoughts nowadays is, they all fit in my Macbook.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Eruera
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 35 times

Post by Eruera »

I’ve never gelled with a soft synth, but then I’ve never had a proper controller to let me get hands on with one.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Eruera wrote:I’ve never gelled with a soft synth, but then I’ve never had a proper controller to let me get hands on with one.
Yeah I didn't until I got one with weighted keys etc...
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

moliere
Squier
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 37 times

Post by moliere »

My current list of Synthamasizers :
Moog Sub Phatty
Roland SH-101
Roland MKS-50
Novation K-Station
Korg 03R/W
Korg Wavestation SR
Korg Poly800
Korg MS-20 mini
Korg MS-10
Korg Volca FM
Paia Fatman
SOMA Lyra 8
AtomoSynth Mochika XL
Synthstrom Deluge
Arturia MicroBrute

And about 750 HP of Eurorack modular stuff, which is pretty fun.

Softsynth wise, I quite enjoy the Arturia Collection and love Diva and Korg Legacy stuff. For me, the physical stuff is mostly about how it inspires particular things and the hands-on nature rather than the sound itself.

philly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 126 times

Post by philly »

i was an early adopter of the wavestation in the early 90's.. cant bear the sound of them now...

anyone heard of this lot?... sound reasonable...

https://avonsynth.com
“Millions long for immortality who don’t know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon.”

moliere
Squier

Post by moliere »

AvonSynth look like they just popped up, saw them advertising on the NZmodular facebook page recently. Seems decent, if a bit uninspiring (basic range of modules/functionality to start with). Keen on more local stuff though, so will probably grab a module or two.

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

I made a module out of my JD800. I`m still coughing up the smoke from chopping the keyboard off. wore a cutting wheel down. was horrendous.
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

moliere
Squier

Post by moliere »

mrmofo wrote:I made a module out of my JD800.
Always wanted a JD800. Had a brief play with one a year or so back, and it was just as neat as I thought It'd be.

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by mrmofo »

moliere wrote:
mrmofo wrote:I made a module out of my JD800.
Always wanted a JD800. Had a brief play with one a year or so back, and it was just as neat as I thought It'd be.
they are brilliant, I had to chop the front off as the thing is so bleeding huge. the keys didn't work anyway.
I need to clean it up a bit to make it look good.
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

moliere
Squier

Post by moliere »

https://tal-software.com/products/tal-vocoder works well for older vocoder sounds

bobiron
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 51 times

Post by bobiron »

Current list of HW synths:
Korg R3
Nord Electro 2
Novation KS5
OMM OM MM OMM MM

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 376 times

Post by Dharmajester »

mrmofo wrote:I made a module out of my JD800. I`m still coughing up the smoke from chopping the keyboard off. wore a cutting wheel down. was horrendous.
I've a producer, engineer mate in Tokyo who in the 90's as the bottom was falling out of hardware synths was getting me to pick up Prophets and Moogs in the uk, remove them from their cases and ship them to Japan where he was turning them into midi modules for resale. The irony of course is that if it were straightforward people would now be trying to reverse the procedure. Cyclic as the music hardware industry is I for one am hoping the Dx7 never makes a comeback.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by mrmofo »

Dharmajester wrote:
mrmofo wrote:I made a module out of my JD800. I`m still coughing up the smoke from chopping the keyboard off. wore a cutting wheel down. was horrendous.
I've a producer, engineer mate in Tokyo who in the 90's as the bottom was falling out of hardware synths was getting me to pick up Prophets and Moogs in the uk, remove them from their cases and ship them to Japan where he was turning them into midi modules for resale. The irony of course is that if it were straightforward people would now be trying to reverse the procedure. Cyclic as the music hardware industry is I for one am hoping the Dx7 never makes a comeback.
it is interesting that old Synths aren't really collectable as they should be. I have an Akai X7000 in the shed. it's is the equivalent to an old Burst in rarity and influence but no one seems to care.
YET!!!!

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 376 times

Post by Dharmajester »

mrmofo wrote: it is interesting that old Synths aren't really collectable as they should be. I have an Akai X7000 in the shed. it's is the equivalent to an old Burst in rarity and influence but no one seems to care.
YET!!!!
That's more on the sampling side of things. The old analogue synths are valued for their sound , a result of many components no longer available.
Sampling technology on the other hand being essentially truncated digital recording, has improved immensely. Old synths consequently are valued, old samplers not so. The old samplers are however useful in some contexts as they sometimes allow sound manipulation not possible on later models. I had an Akai S900 when they first came out and upgraded to S1000 and later S3000 but could never replicate some of the tricks I could do on the S900.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

moliere
Squier

Post by moliere »

To be fair, an Emu Emulator or Emulator II is still gonna be some hefty cash. Bunch of cheap Ensoniq samplers been doing the rounds recently, love that 12/13bit grime.