Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 1039 times

Re: NGD • 2014 Gibson Les Paul Reborn Traditional 120th Anniversary

Post by kdawg2a »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
kdawg2a wrote:You bringing it to Gfest?
Can’t make it this year, I’ll be up in Jaffaland drinking decaf soy latte’s on the waterfront.
Bugger!
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

MrDINO
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 92 times

Post by MrDINO »

Those flame tops are always a draw card for me.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

MrDINO wrote:Those flame tops are always a draw card for me.
It’s actually a little darker burst than how it looks in the photos, kind of in between a Honeyburst and Tobacco. This one is an AA maple figured top, so it’s not too full on like some of the AAA tops I’ve seen.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

GrantB wrote:I have always liked the Traditional range. Big necks, solid bodies, proper inlays and stuff. I do wonder why they don't use the ABR-1? Maybe it would be too close to say an R8?
Maybe, that’s one thing I’ll possibly replace at some point even though there’s nothing wrong with the one that’s on it now. Intonation is absolutely spot on and it seems to hold tune perfectly even with my erratic bending & vibrato lol.

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
GrantB wrote:I have always liked the Traditional range. Big necks, solid bodies, proper inlays and stuff. I do wonder why they don't use the ABR-1? Maybe it would be too close to say an R8?
Maybe, that’s one thing I’ll possibly replace at some point even though there’s nothing wrong with the one that’s on it now. Intonation is absolutely spot on and it seems to hold tune perfectly even with my erratic bending & vibrato lol.
I think Nashville's are good bridges - I wouldn't bother. It' more a question of the "Traditional" theme, but using a post '75 piece of hardware. If you were spend any money maybe just get the Faber inserts and throw the Nashville back on top again. I've done that a few times.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by kdawg2a »

One of the most simple mods I done to my 2010 trad to make it sound better was an aluminium tail stop piece. It really did help the sound. Definately a bit more sustain.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

kdawg2a wrote:One of the most simple mods I done to my 2010 trad to make it sound better was an aluminium tail stop piece. It really did help the sound. Definately a bit more sustain.
Thanks for the tip :-)

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Post by GrantB »

kdawg2a wrote:One of the most simple mods I done to my 2010 trad to make it sound better was an aluminium tail stop piece. It really did help the sound. Definately a bit more sustain.
It's interesting. On a smaller body, like an SG, an alloy wrap piece does no favours. Yet on an LP or even a 335 the lighter weight tails work better. On the cherry 335 I went to a heavier 70's Les Paul tail piece instead of the old alloy one I originally installed, thinking it would add girth. It just deadened it. Back to the alloy tail...and some new brass saddles. That also helps.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Mini Forklift

Re: NGD • 2014 Gibson Les Paul Traditional 120th Anniversary

Post by Mini Forklift »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:It’s actually a little darker burst than how it looks in the photos, kind of in between a Honeyburst and Tobacco. This one is an AA maple figured top, so it’s not too full on like some of the AAA tops I’ve seen.
This is probably a little closer to how the colour/burst actually looks; seems like there could have been a filter used on the first photo but there wasn't...

Nice Saturday afternoon with just my guitars and dog for company, this is how every weekend oughta be :thumbup:

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

I just picked up one of these in Japan. Must be the season :D
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

slash-ed wrote:I just picked up one of these in Japan. Must be the season :D
Nice. What do you think of it?

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by kdawg2a »

How good is this arvo? We're on the deck, in the sun, pints in hand, guitars lying about with Beatles albums playing.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
Well I'd reserved that and a newer Trad to try when I got here. Only played through a JVM which is hardly a great amp for tone comparison but as expected I like the 59 Tribute pickups better than the 57 Classic set. Neck is a bit larger than I'd prefer but overall it was the better of the two. And the cheaper :D

So I haven't really played it that much yet. That'll be tomorrow's job.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

slash-ed wrote:
Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:
Well I'd reserved that and a newer Trad to try when I got here. Only played through a JVM which is hardly a great amp for tone comparison but as expected I like the 59 Tribute pickups better than the 57 Classic set. Neck is a bit larger than I'd prefer but overall it was the better of the two. And the cheaper :D

So I haven't really played it that much yet. That'll be tomorrow's job.
Keen to know what you think ;-)

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

Had a bit of a play yesterday/today and... loving it. Great guitar, I could have done without such a fat neck but I'll live.

The '59 Tribute pickups are great, such a pity they were only available this model year. They have a honk and a bite to them that 57 Classics just don't have.

Here's a quick pic of mine.