rickenbackerkid
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 651 times

Re: Stacking Overdrives - Do you do it?

Post by rickenbackerkid »

I did it for a while. I think back then I had a Blues Driver and a Rat, set them for gentle OD/Boost (BD2), mild overdrive/ distortion (RAT) and both on together for set the controls for the sun. I never had much luck with stacking two pedals for a soft/ touch sensitive overdrive, which is really what I like. These days I use an amp for that touch sensitive basic OD and a Hotcake on top for distortion.

SimonHirst
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 254 times

Post by SimonHirst »

Yeah, I stacked different ODs for years!
Still doing something similarish now, but using a flat EQ volume boost into a Hotcake for my slightly gainer sound, so there are three stages to the gain structure (three seems to be what works best for me), amp just compressing, Hotcake at low/mid gain, and adding the boost before it pushes it into more overdrive. So essentially it's like I have two Hotcakes set differently... I find I have to be slightly careful because pushing the boost into the HC too much causes the sound to start compressing too much for my liking. But there is magic just before that!
Bar what I've got going now, my favourite stacking arrangement was a JHS mini foot fuzz, Hotcake, and Cusack Screamer into a slightly breaking up Tophat. Sounded absolutely mega, and within those three, and playing with the guitar volume there were an abundance of great toans.
It can be a deep hole though because you have to find things that work well together. But when has that stopped any of us...

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 374 times

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

kdawg2a wrote:My band is looking at covering Only Shallow by My Bloody Valentine and I need to get the guitar sound huger than normal. Will this stacking thing work?
For that, you might need a bigger board...

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 752 times
Been liked: 252 times

Post by Miza »

I had a TS-9 into a Timmy for a while there. As polar opposites, they seemed like a perfect mix when together. I imagine a TS style pedal into another similar pedal with a mid hump wouldn't sound so nice, but pedals with flatter EQs usually play nicely with others.
Nothing to see here.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

I quite often have a slightly gritty sound (soul food at the moment) and I had a tubescreamer in front of that for a long time. Not all pedals enjoy stacking though. I have the BEOD from friedman, and it's more of a loner I think.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

Darth Sabbathi wrote:
kdawg2a wrote:My band is looking at covering Only Shallow by My Bloody Valentine and I need to get the guitar sound huger than normal. Will this stacking thing work?
Not to mention their amp stacks...

Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

My pedal board is basically set up for gain stages. My amp is fairly clean, but low wattage so can reasonably easily get pushed to break up a bit. First pedal is a compressor set with high levels and low sustain, more as a boost and 'thickener', and it keeps my cleans strong and loud. Then I have a low gain drive, then another low gain drive with a second channel for just slightly higher gain, then a clean boost for solos. On their own none of these pedals are particularly high gain, but chuck it all on at the same time and it's pretty raucous. This is basically how an amp works isn't it? Different gain stages? Either way I've been using pretty much this set up for about a decade and still happy with it.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Mmmm MBV are all about a deafening wall of sound, hope they come to NZ, might just be the only band louder than Mogwai that I've seen!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

jeremyb wrote:Mmmm MBV are all about a deafening wall of sound, hope they come to NZ, might just be the only band louder than Mogwai that I've seen!
I saw them last time they toured Oz, they switch between the amps for different tones so it wasn't crazy loud during most of the set. They had everything on during the holocaust section of You Made Me Realise and that was loud for sure.

Swans played before them and was actually louder on average. People at front rows kept walking out so I got to the 2nd row by the time they finish.

Sunn O))) is still the loudest band I've seen though, especially now they use a dozen SVT's for oversea tours.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

Aquila Rossa
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 163 times
Been liked: 98 times

Post by Aquila Rossa »

My amp is covering the overdriven tones i am after right now. But stacking pedals is just gain staging like I do with the amp anyway.

Currently i am using built in boost to slightly overdrive the front end of the amp, then a little dirt from overdriving the preamp and then a bit more by pushing the power stage to clipping. I find it has more clarity and dynamics getting kind of an accumulation of slight overdrive from each stage of amplification than trying to get it all by gaining the crap out of a single stage. Depends on the sound I am after though. If I had an amp i do not like the overdrive of like a HRD, i would use pedals to do the same thing. i tend to think of an overdrive pedal as an extension of the amp's preamp.

WellyBlues
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 519 times
Been liked: 351 times

Post by WellyBlues »

Darth Sabbathi wrote:
With all that Boss stuff on it you might as well just get a Katana, eh? :D
Slowy wrote: Ultimately though, guitars are like women. On paper there's not much difference but only a few can make you happy.
Ray Wylie Hubbard wrote: And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations Well, I have really good days

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Easy shoegaze:
Big clean amp with reverb (twin ideal)
Chorus/flanger
Delay
More reverb
Guitar with wobble stick
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Single coil wrote:Easy shoegaze:
Big clean amp with reverb (twin ideal)
Chorus/flanger
Delay
More reverb
Guitar with wobble stick
You're missing a rat going into a big muff!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Lawrence
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 605 times

Post by Lawrence »

with the joys of helix

my goto pedal layout has wah, envelope filter, EP Compressor, Klon Centaur, tube screamer, optical trem>
(Litigator or Freidman, or Mesa Lone Star or, Mesa Mark IV)
Tube compressor, phasor, chorus, watkins tape echo, Vintage Digital delay, reverb

stacking the klon and the TS is great...the Klon into a pushed amp is awesome....and of course TS into pushed amp sings...
Cool thing is each amp reacts differently.

I have each amp with clean and driven snapshots...and this changes the way the drives react too.
GrantB wrote:
“You might be cool, but you’ll never be playing a white Steinberger through a JC120, wearing a white jumpsuit with white shoes and sporting a mullet cool”.

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

WellyBlues wrote:
Darth Sabbathi wrote:
With all that Boss stuff on it you might as well just get a Katana, eh? :D
The bigger board is fine, but the midget peering over the edge seems a little OTT.
Tin arse!!