Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Re: Clapton

Post by Bg »

WellyBlues wrote:
Miza wrote:Even his bloated over-produced 80s era stuff isn't that bad if you can look past the dated synthy sounds.
A matter of taste but it is undeniable that Phil Collins (the producer on much of that dross) should be taken out and slowly shot!
He is an evil man and deserves to have his tongue ripped out and buried on a beach
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

:thumbdown:
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Miza
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 752 times
Been liked: 252 times

Post by Miza »

Bg wrote:
WellyBlues wrote:
Miza wrote:Even his bloated over-produced 80s era stuff isn't that bad if you can look past the dated synthy sounds.
A matter of taste but it is undeniable that Phil Collins (the producer on much of that dross) should be taken out and slowly shot!
He is an evil man and deserves to have his tongue ripped out and buried on a beach
Better be quick tho, he might feel you coming in the air. :wink:
Nothing to see here.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

:shock:

jb pls
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

Miza wrote:Pilgrim is a guilty pleasure for me. It's his "let's dabble with R&B" album.
Absolutely. Love that album, different but refreshingly so.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 377 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Clapton like Hendrix emerged at a time when now legendary guitar slingers were popping out of the woodwork left right and centre however unlike all the rest Clapton for me has a unique talent. He's the only one of the bunch who can improvise a solo of any length which sounds like it was worked out beforehand. It will start slowly and build to crescendo at intervals much along the lines of classical composition and all be done within the framework of simple pentatonic blues scales, be lyrical and without sounding repetitive. Now that's a fucking gift :clap:

But yes he's also put out some unspeakable dross over the years.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

I read somewhere that he was God so :thumbdown: for me :mental:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Darth Sabbathi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 195 times
Been liked: 374 times

Post by Darth Sabbathi »

For Beano, Cream and Blind Faith alone, its a thumbs up from me.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

Beano, 461 and Unplugged. :thumbup:

He did a lot of muzak but there's moments, like the memorial concert for SRV, when it's very obvious that Clapton has turned up. And that's a wonderful thing.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

standardfour
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 28 times

Post by standardfour »

:thumbdown:

Nope, not a fan.

HappyEnding
Ashton
Ashton
Been liked: 46 times

Post by HappyEnding »

Clapton needed to die when Duane Allman did. Not so good for him personally, but that legacy…

In a few short years you get Bluesbreakers, Yardbirds, Cream, Blind Faith, Derek & the Dominos… in isolation that’s a better discography than Hendrix. Not cooler, but better. You could stack it against anyone.

And had he died, that 'cool' status would be there and he'd be on T-shirts at K-Mart in 2018.

But he lived. So there’s a decade of laying back and nodding out, then a decade of pushing up the sleeves on his Armani jacket (or was it Versace? Naomi darling, do tell!) and sipping champagne through a straw, then Unplugged and into two decades of stoic blues purism balanced with an audience wanting a nostalgia act.

I bought his autobiography years ago when it came out. Really should get around to reading it.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 377 times

Post by Dharmajester »

HappyEnding wrote: I bought his autobiography years ago when it came out. Really should get around to reading it.
Chuck it and remain a fan.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Vince
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 383 times
Been liked: 186 times

Post by Vince »

Where's Mark Whatsisface when you need him? :)
"Vince, have you ever tried playing an expensive bass?" - Polarbear.
"And isn't that the finest acoustic bass guitar feedback solo you've ever heard?" - Billy Moose.

My Bandcamp Page
Facebook

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Vince wrote:Where's Mark Whatsisface when you need him? :)
I'm doing a daily thing, this is a good one for today!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

mr_sooty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 178 times

Post by mr_sooty »

kdawg2a wrote:Never understood why he was so rated.
Because in the late 60's british blues era he was a pioneer and one of the greats of the day. His playing in Cream still really holds up and he played the lead on While my Guitar Gently Weeps by the Beatles. But I would agree that much of his later work is far less inspiring, and as much as I'm a Strat guy, Claptons tone went massively downhill when he switched from Gibsons to Strats.