Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2466 times

Re: Hendrix

Post by Slowy »

Within the context of his era, the man arrived from outer space. There was nothing like Hendrix before Hendrix with the possible exception of Roy Buchanan. He's a waypoint in time, so unquestionably :thumbup: from me.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

mule
PRS
PRS
Has liked: 518 times
Been liked: 163 times

Post by mule »

Like many guitarists that are undeniably excellent, I find him technically impressive but generally don't enjoy his music. Same vibe I get from someone like SRV or Malmsteen. Like "wow, that guy can play guitar, shame it sounds like that".

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

mule wrote:Like many guitarists that are undeniably excellent, I find him technically impressive but generally don't enjoy his music. Same vibe I get from someone like SRV or Malmsteen. Like "wow, that guy can play guitar, shame it sounds like that".
I find that with a lot of guys. Happened upon this the other day. Check out this guy's phrasing (and he's just demoing a guitar). Goes to show that tidy playing isn't about histrionics.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Slowy wrote:Within the context of his era, the man arrived from outer space. There was nothing like Hendrix before Hendrix with the possible exception of Roy Buchanan. He's a waypoint in time, so unquestionably :thumbup: from me.
yes and no.... don't forget where he got a lot of his stuff...
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

codedog
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 3476 times
Been liked: 1083 times

Post by codedog »

Molly wrote:
mule wrote:Like many guitarists that are undeniably excellent, I find him technically impressive but generally don't enjoy his music. Same vibe I get from someone like SRV or Malmsteen. Like "wow, that guy can play guitar, shame it sounds like that".
I find that with a lot of guys. Happened upon this the other day. Check out this guy's phrasing (and he's just demoing a guitar). Goes to show that tidy playing isn't about histrionics.

You've struck one of my fav demo guy. He's just awesome.

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 377 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Slowy wrote:Within the context of his era, the man arrived from outer space. There was nothing like Hendrix before Hendrix with the possible exception of Roy Buchanan. He's a waypoint in time, so unquestionably :thumbup: from me.
I think it's hard for people who are not contemporary to that time and have grown up with the huge diversity of guitar music that exists today to grasp how utterly unique the man was and how much his input coloured the monochrome musical landscape of the time and opened doors for what we take for granted now.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Dharmajester
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 377 times

Post by Dharmajester »

Bg wrote:
If you showed a kid an old black and white clip of Buddy in his mohair suit hammering away on his guild semi hollow, a clip of Hendrix, then a recent clip of Buddy in all his polka dot glory, Strat in hand I 'd be incline to think the kid would judge it to be to the contrary.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench - a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."
Hunter S. Thompson

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

The psychedelic thing was a bit too Austin Powers for me. Though I did once own flares.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

also it is a travesty that no one has been held accountable for his "murder"
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

Molly wrote:Though I did once own flares.
so did I .. although that was more a Zakk Wylde thing than a 60's thing :rofl:

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Nice that they gave him a purple plaque.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Dharmajester wrote:
Bg wrote:
If you showed a kid an old black and white clip of Buddy in his mohair suit hammering away on his guild semi hollow, a clip of Hendrix, then a recent clip of Buddy in all his polka dot glory, Strat in hand I 'd be incline to think the kid would judge it to be to the contrary.
well yes, but if you showed the kid a clip of hendrix in his showband days complete with ruffled shirt and bowtie, he might have a different perception as well ;)
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by willow13 »

Dharmajester wrote:
clearly in his later years Buddy has been influenced by the late great Randy Rhoads :mrgreen:

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

Or Dave Hill from Slade.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Or briscoes.

:shifty:
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.