Forums have been slow, how about a 'In the mail' thread?

Gear Aquisition Syndrome is a serious disorder.... FX etc

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

mule
PRS
PRS
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 518 times
Been liked: 163 times

Re: Forums have been slow, how about a 'In the mail' thread?

Post by mule »

sunburster wrote:
AiRdAd wrote:that looks very cool. I've never seen a mustang with a cover over the bridge like that before either.
They all came with one back in the day. It's the same cover used on Jags/Jazzmasters. I bought a genuine one last year for $1 on ebay (auction, no one else bid). 8)
I had no idea. Had to Google them. I really like the look of bridge covers on teles but they look a bit out of place on JM's...

sunburster
Squier
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by sunburster »

mule wrote:
sunburster wrote:
AiRdAd wrote:that looks very cool. I've never seen a mustang with a cover over the bridge like that before either.
They all came with one back in the day. It's the same cover used on Jags/Jazzmasters. I bought a genuine one last year for $1 on ebay (auction, no one else bid). 8)
I had no idea. Had to Google them. I really like the look of bridge covers on teles but they look a bit out of place on JM's...
I usually take them off because I don't like my palm hitting them (which always seems to happen).

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Just ordered tele pickups :D
Hopefully they’ll cure the ills ... strat style neck and broadcaster style bridge.
New bridge assembly on its way too - all looking fun!
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 807 times
Been liked: 1295 times

Post by StrummersOfThunder »

Conway wrote:
StrummersOfThunder wrote:The latest result of late night post on-call reckless reverb low ball offering ...
100% original 1968 Fender Mustang in lovely conwa...DAPHNE blue
Colour :thumbup:
Old and smelly :thumbdown:
Mustang :|
Mate, for me its as much the connection to the era of the music we play. For me a brand new shiny neck just doesn't compare to something smooth and worn. But that being said ive played some brand spankers that feel great too. My number 1 , custom harvester, for instance.
As far as the 'Mustangness' is concerned I agree they aren't my favourite offset, but I still dig em. Ive only played a couple and that was before I was really on the offset bandwagon so im not really informed. What is it you didnt like about them?

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Not blue enough
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Starfire
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 596 times

Post by Starfire »

Single coil wrote:Not tiger's vagina enough
Fixed.

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 1039 times

Post by kdawg2a »

StrummersOfThunder wrote:
Conway wrote:
StrummersOfThunder wrote:The latest result of late night post on-call reckless reverb low ball offering ...
100% original 1968 Fender Mustang in lovely conwa...DAPHNE blue
Colour :thumbup:
Mate, for me its as much the connection to the era of the music we play. For me a brand new shiny neck just doesn't compare to something smooth and worn. But that being said ive played some brand spankers that feel great too. My number 1 , custom harvester, for instance.
As far as the 'Mustangness' is concerned I agree they aren't my favourite offset, but I still dig em. Ive only played a couple and that was before I was really on the offset bandwagon so im not really informed. What is it you didnt like about them?
Don't worry about what someone else thinks of them, these are great little offset guitars. Yours will be a slab body which are cool but I think they came into their own in late 68 when they contoured them. One of the very rare diffences on a Fender guitar that came into effect after the CBS purchase that made the product better than the original. Killer purchase mate! Competition one next?:-)
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

kdawg2a wrote:
Conway wrote: Colour :thumbup:
Don't worry about what someone else thinks of them, these are great little offset guitars. Yours will be a slab body which are cool but I think they came into their own in late 68 when they contoured them. One of the very rare diffences on a Fender guitar that came into effect after the CBS purchase that made the product better than the original. Killer purchase mate! Competition one next?:-)
Oh im not worried so much a curious. I realise they were student level offerings compared to the fancier JM and jag, but I dont know how far that trickled down in terms of actual quality.
Yes slabby she will be.
Funny, I used to love the competition stripe thing but recently ave gone off it a bit. If I was then it would be the orange matching headstock one!

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 1039 times

Post by kdawg2a »

kdawg2a wrote:
Oh im not worried so much a curious. I realise they were student level offerings compared to the fancier JM and jag, but I dont know how far that trickled down in terms of actual quality.
Yes slabby she will be.
Funny, I used to love the competition stripe thing but recently ave gone off it a bit. If I was then it would be the orange matching headstock one!
I had one of those! Sold it to a mate in Hamilton for $1000 in the late 90's , which is what I paid for it. He's still got it!
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

I've long given up trying to boil personal preferences down to a logical explanation.

As far as the colour orange goes, and this includes any part of a tiger's anatomy, only one thing in the world has ever looked good in orange. The Dutch Women's hockey team.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

sunburster
Squier
Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 88 times

Post by sunburster »

They feel like student guitars. I started out playing my brother's 1970 Mustang in the early 90s. Decent guitar, but as soon as I played my friend's Jaguar I never wanted to go back. The mustang felt like a toy in comparison. Just my experience though. Lots of people like Mustangs.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

sunburster wrote:

They feel like student guitars. I started out playing my brother's 1970 Mustang in the early 90s. Decent guitar, but as soon as I played my friend's Jaguar I never wanted to go back. The mustang felt like a toy in comparison. Just my experience though. Lots of people like Mustangs.
I certainly dont expect it to outgun my 64 jag or either of my JMs but I think it will sit nicely within the collection. Otherwise it will mak a good cutting board.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

sunburster wrote:

They feel like student guitars. I started out playing my brother's 1970 Mustang in the early 90s. Decent guitar, but as soon as I played my friend's Jaguar I never wanted to go back. The mustang felt like a toy in comparison.
That does seem to be a very common criticism of them. Oh well, hopefully its got some mojo and I can get it to play ok.
I think Its more likely I will continue to be the weakest link in the signal chain though...not the guitar!

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

sunburster wrote:

They feel like student guitars. I started out playing my brother's 1970 Mustang in the early 90s. Decent guitar, but as soon as I played my friend's Jaguar I never wanted to go back. The mustang felt like a toy in comparison.
That does seem to be a very common criticism of them. Oh well, hopefully IT SMELLS LIKE CAT PISS and I can get it to play ok.
I think Its more likely I will continue to be the weakest link in the signal chain though...not the guitar!
fixed.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

StrummersOfThunder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Bg wrote:
sunburster wrote:
That does seem to be a very common criticism of them. Oh well, hopefully IT SMELLS LIKE CAT PISS and I can get it to play ok.
fixed.
the last vintage fender (p bass) i bought I WISH smelled of cat piss. it was like it had been embalmed in a a mixture of arm pit sweat, Donald duck Dunns pipe tappings and musty carpet rolls left out for collection