That's pretty awesome. Sold.
Make Music Great Again

GrantB
ADMIN
Has liked: 1353 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Re: New BOSS Products coming....

Post by GrantB »

Because if it’s input for when the battery dies also sold. Assuming the tone is clean and not affected.
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore
Has liked: 97 times
Been liked: 424 times

Post by slash-ed »

GrantB wrote:Because if it’s input for when the battery dies also sold. Assuming the tone is clean and not affected.
Great question - and just for you sir, I rushed downstairs to the studio and did a quick and completely unscientific A/B test haha.

Interesting result - the "real cable" tone input via the receiver was most similar (to my ears) to the "no cable tone" setting on the WL-50. But naturally this will vary with cable type and length (the lead I was using was relatively short so I guess that makes sense).

Short story - sounds completely fine for dead battery backup plan.
Just a small town girl living in a lonely world

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

fuck me, could you make a bigger dongle for the guitar? I'd rather have something that clips onto me strap than that!
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Bg wrote:fuck me, could you make a bigger dongle for the guitar? I'd rather have something that clips onto me strap than that!
Saw that. Can’t you just use a short cable with a female end and put this unit in your pocket?
"Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature. Unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping." - Hubert Reeves

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

think thats the only practical way on a lot of guitars...
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

GrantB wrote:
Bg wrote:fuck me, could you make a bigger dongle for the guitar? I'd rather have something that clips onto me strap than that!
Saw that. Can’t you just use a short cable with a female end and put this unit in your pocket?
Be interesting to see how they pitch against the Line 6 G stuff

Scooter13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Scooter13 »

GrantB wrote:
Yeah, but a cable with a female end isn't usually just lying around. But yeah, the large dongle is weird. Would be interested to see how much it would interfere with stage antics if plugged straight in like that. I like have to have right angled cables for that very reason.
And does that mean the cable sim would be on top of a short cable? :think: :rofl:

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Lyle »

null_pointer wrote:
GrantB wrote:
Be interesting to see how they pitch against the Line 6 G stuff
Is it a similar size to the dongle for the G10? Which is guess is what it's competing against.

Scooter13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Scooter13 »

I also don't really understand the advantage of the pedalboard version aside from being able to charge the transmitter on stage...which, well if you have to do that you're using a cable for a while anyway. So really you have bulkier version of the transmitter and receiver but taking up pedalboard space? What am I missing?

GrantB
ADMIN

Post by GrantB »

Scooter13 wrote:I also don't really understand the advantage of the pedalboard version aside from being able to charge the transmitter on stage...which, well if you have to do that you're using a cable for a while anyway. So really you have bulkier version of the transmitter and receiver but taking up pedalboard space? What am I missing?
I could imagine having a mostly charged dongle always ready, then setup for the wedding/show whatever, then leave the dongle on the board charging. In between sets I put it back in the hole for more action. I can see an advantage.

I've used the G30 for maybe 7 years and it's been good except for the following.
- The belt pack breaks in every way imaginable. The battery housing is cheap and plasticy. The belt linkage falls off in the first two gigs. I've repaired mine so many times the next it goes I think it's done.
- There is no cable input if something happens. My board is so tight presently I can't just undo a cable to jam in a direct line. This is actually a big deal.

Scooter13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Scooter13 »

GrantB wrote: ... mostly charged dongle always ready... In between sets I put it back in the hole for more action.
Gotcha.

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

Scooter13 wrote:I also don't really understand the advantage of the pedalboard version aside from being able to charge the transmitter on stage...which, well if you have to do that you're using a cable for a while anyway. So really you have bulkier version of the transmitter and receiver but taking up pedalboard space? What am I missing?
WL-50 has longer range (20m vs 15m), as well as selectable cable tone (off, short lead, long lead). As Grant says as well, in the event of emergency, no need to pull apart your board, just plug straight in.

Haha I'm finding the form factor debate super interesting. For me, I'm like YAY NO BELT PACK but half of you guys be like HOW WILL THIS TINY BUG WITHSTAND MY ROCKSTAR STAGE ANTICS :lol: :lol: :lol:

slash-ed
Resident Gear Whore

Post by slash-ed »

Also, the transmitter on ALL of the wireless systems is exactly the same unit and the same size :)