Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

MakoGat
Squier
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 115 times

Must have more power

Post by MakoGat »

Im putting together a pedalboard for home use with up to 12 pedals, all of which are the usual 9V 100ma type except for one which is a digital delay still 9V but 300ma. Im looking for isolated power supplies but from what Ive seen around Id need two to power this amount. (saw the Cioks Overkill but cant find any for sale). I dont want to daisy chain as I want silent operation.

Can I have some ideas of how to power this amount of pedals and recommendations on good but not ridiculously expensive power supplies be it one single or two?

StratMatt
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 557 times
Been liked: 621 times

Re: Must have more power

Post by StratMatt »

Can't remember specs off the top of my head but the PT1250 was optimized for lots of 9v pedals and had plenty of outputs. I ran a chocka PT3 a few years ago.
Loving it so far

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Daisy chaining pedals off an isolated output won't cause noise unless it's a shitty pedal, I used to run multiple daisy chains off various isolated supplies I've owned over the years and noise was never an issue :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

MakoGat
Squier

Post by MakoGat »

So like a Stryman Zuma would do if I ran 2-3 pedals daisey'd off each outlet????

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

MakoGat wrote:So like a Stryman Zuma would do if I ran 2-3 pedals daisey'd off each outlet????
Should be fine, as long as you're not overloading the output, you can look up the actual current draw of each pedal tho', they might say 200ma power adapter required, but it's sometimes 50ma or less actual draw...
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

JHorner
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 394 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by JHorner »

Agree with JB. However if you did get noise issues, couple ideas:

I think you could links a cioks DC 10 and DC 5 giving you plenty, but that's gonna cost.

You could just wait for good supplies to turn up cheap secondhand and run 2/3 supplies.

MakoGat
Squier

Post by MakoGat »

Not in any order...

Polytune 46ma
Fuzz 10ma
BD-2 20ma
TS9 8ma
Death by Audio Apocalypse 6ma
Source Audio Nemesis 200ma
LPB-1 2ma
Flanger 14ma
Delay 30ma
Speaker Cranker 2ma
Compressor 10ma
Distortion 10ma
MX Micro Amp 3ma

So if I keep the BIG users with own outlet..
Polytune 46ma
BD-2 20ma
Source Audio Nemesis 200ma
Flanger 14ma
Delay 30ma

Daisy the rest spread over a few outlets?
Does that sound right?

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

Yes, that should be fine. I've had 12 (more power hungry) pedals run off a Zuma, with up to 4-5 on a daisy chain on one output. No problems.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Shimmer
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 296 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by Shimmer »

Has anyone tried using a rechargeable Li Ion power pack for powering a pedal board? I see you can buy them specifically, but also saw a utube where they used a 12v pack for a security camera and connected an adapter to swap the polarity, then daisy chained the pedals. Supply was 4500mAh so could last quite a while...
(Issues with powering pedals from a 12v??)
I want all the pedals!

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs

Post by jeremyb »

Shimmer wrote:Has anyone tried using a rechargeable Li Ion power pack for powering a pedal board? I see you can buy them specifically, but also saw a utube where they used a 12v pack for a security camera and connected an adapter to swap the polarity, then daisy chained the pedals. Supply was 4500mAh so could last quite a while...
I had one of the warwick rockboard power supplies which are rechargeable Li Ion jobbies, was < $100 and worked really well, you could jury rig something up but it's much nicer having something thats designed for the job and comes with all the cables etc....

Shimmer
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 296 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by Shimmer »

jeremyb wrote:
Shimmer wrote:Has anyone tried using a rechargeable Li Ion power pack for powering a pedal board? I see you can buy them specifically, but also saw a utube where they used a 12v pack for a security camera and connected an adapter to swap the polarity, then daisy chained the pedals. Supply was 4500mAh so could last quite a while...
I had one of the warwick rockboard power supplies which are rechargeable Li Ion jobbies, was < $100 and worked really well, you could jury rig something up but it's much nicer having something thats designed for the job and comes with all the cables etc....
I was going to try and DIY it to a certain degree, but you are right... <$100 is pretty good.
I want all the pedals!