Guitars popular with teenagers

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Single coil
BANNED
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Re: Guitars popular with teenagers

Post by Single coil »

You could spot the private school kids a mile off with their flash shit. I was lucky to have the tele, but I wasn’t so lucky to hit the overdrive switch on the floor and have the whole amp die.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Single coil wrote:You could spot the private school kids a mile off with their flash shit. I was lucky to have the tele, but I wasn’t so lucky to hit the overdrive switch on the floor and have the whole amp die.
I was in Rockshop the other week. Some kid was running wild picking up one guitar after another and rushing to show it to his parents. Folks looked well-off and clearly had no intention of telling their kid to take care with the guitars or to slow the fuck down. Don't know what he went home with. The patient sales guy's advice seemed secondary to the colour.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Patient sales staff? Shit man, what rockshop are you going to?
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Zaulkin
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 737 times
Been liked: 511 times

Post by Zaulkin »

I was at the Rockquest band regional finals on Friday.

There was a girl with a red Gibson ES-335, otherwise I can't really remember what anyone else was playing. Made me kind of realise how pointless it can be, considering all the time I have spent perfecting gear for colour/specs.

I was in awe at how good some of those bands were though. Maybe I'm just growing up :D

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 837 times
Been liked: 358 times

Post by jimi »

In my high school band our guitarist had a cyclone strat copy, a DS1 and a 25w fender practice amp, dude could play better back then than I can now. I had a p bass parts caster with a ply body and no frets, and our drummer had a mismatched kit put together from a few broken kits he'd got cheap off the old trade and exchange.

Couple of flash kids at school had epi LPs. No real gibsons or fenders though. School had a Marshall valvestate and an ibanez roadster bass which were the pinnacle of good gear as far as I knew back then.

From my memories of high school, you just played whatever you could get your hands on, and practised hoping that one day some girls would watch you play and be a little bit impressed. Who cared about the brand on the headstock?

Danger Mouse
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 351 times
Been liked: 661 times

Post by Danger Mouse »

It was all Westones, Vesters and Samicks at my school, then the RG540 came out and Ibanez was the brand to have.

My brother was the only odd one out, he saved for ages and bought a Gibson Explorer, he ended up a bit of a guitar god for the guitar alone.

Everyone had Peavey Bandits, I mean everyone :D
The older I get, the more disappointed in myself I become.

kdawg2a
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 238 times
Been liked: 1039 times

Post by kdawg2a »

Danger Mouse wrote:It was all Westones, Vesters and Samicks at my school, then the RG540 came out and Ibanez was the brand to have.

My brother was the only odd one out, he saved for ages and bought a Gibson Explorer, he ended up a bit of a guitar god for the guitar alone.

Everyone had Peavey Bandits, I mean everyone :D
This sounds like my school experience. At one stage I was the bass player in a school band (lot better guitar players available than myself). I had a Vester P Bass, white, maple neck, cost me $20 off a mate. At a local party I thought finishing the gig smashing my bass up would look punk rock as fuck. Unfortunately plywood body + weedy 17 year old arms resulted in a slightly dinged bass.
1935 Martin D-45, 1942 Gibson Southern Jumbo,1950 Fender Broadcaster, 1954 Fender Strat, 1958 Gibson Moderne prototype, 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard.
1958 Fender twin, 1965 Vox AC30, 1966 Marshall JTM 45, 1977 Dumble OD Special.
Big black garbage bag full of original Klon Centaurs and TS808s.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

I had a Gibson Les Paul at high school. My English teacher regularly asked me to bring it in so he could play it at lunchtime.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

Lyle
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 255 times

Post by Lyle »

Slowy wrote:I had a Gibson Les Paul at high school. My English teacher regularly asked me to bring it in so he could play it at lunchtime.
I remember the flashest guitar someone had at school was a Les Paul Studio. Everyone else was playing normal beginner stuff, mostly Ibanez from what I remember.