Amp effects loop questions

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Re: Amp effects loop questions

Post by sizzlingbadger »

I wasn’t suggesting running the guitar volume lower as a fix but just as a test. If the signal is too hot then reducing it should work ( just as a test). I see the Sadowsky has a volume control, reducing that will lower the signal too and should work.

It’s a bit odd that you get no sound at all with the hot signal, personally I don’t believe that is the issue.
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Ahhhh those kind of pedals have an incredibly hot output, they're really designed to run into a power amp like a PA system, not a normal amp with an existing preamp :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

Yep, so plugging into the front of the amp is running a preamp into a preamp. If the Sadowski does everything you need for a preamp you could just skip the amp’s front end and go bass-pedalboard-power amp (loop return). But you would be bypassing anything you like about the amp’s front end.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

sty
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 207 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by sty »

I've been following this with interest and my first thoughts would have been (as I think has been mentioned and possibly diagnosed) that something in the pedal chain is bringing the signal up towards line level rather than instrument level (something in my mind says that some/most? fx loops run at line-level, or can be switched to run at line level - hence can handle this happily).

So my question is, assuming that the finger is pointing to the Sadowsky DI/Pedal, what does this pedal do for you? why do you like it's sound and what purpose is it serving if you're still using the amps front end? A total guess would be you're using it as a buffer or something similar and maybe getting some nice colourisation you're liking, perhaps you could replace it with a straightforward buffer that works at the right level and does any of the impedance matching you need.

I guess the Yang to that questions Ying is: what is it that you like/need from your Amps pre-amp/input circuits and could you possibly find something to put in your signal chain to get that tone/feel and then go direct into the Fx Return?

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 966 times

Post by Conway »

There is a message here. Any bass player who thinks he needs more than a tuner and a fuzz pedal is clearly getting ideas above his station.
GUITARS ROCK - www.guitarsrock.co.nz
TONE LOUNGE - www.tonelounge.co.nz

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

and I'm not sure what a fuzz pedal would be used for. Maybe a compressor /end of pedal board
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

He certainly has more pedals than the guitarist in his band, but then the one I do use is an M13.
Tin arse!!

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Conway »

Bg wrote:and I'm not sure what a fuzz pedal would be used for. Maybe a compressor /end of pedal board
Clean bass, fuzz bass. The 2 essential flavours. That is all.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Conway wrote:
Bg wrote:and I'm not sure what a fuzz pedal would be used for. Maybe a compressor /end of pedal board
Clean bass, fuzz bass. The 2 essential flavours. That is all.
Fuzz bass is not bass, its an abomination!!!

chorusy/flangy hooky bass is the one exception to pristine clean thump.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Conway
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Conway »

It's not the 80s any more. Chorus and flange are banned!

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Delayman »

I played bass for a band quite a few years ago, direct into PA no amp, no pedals. Oh the freedom.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Delayman wrote:I played bass for a band quite a few years ago, direct into PA no amp, no pedals. Oh the freedom.
They probably turned you down at the desk too ;)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

Conway wrote:It's not the 80s any more. Chorus and flange are banned!
He's coming for you....

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Delayman »

jeremyb wrote:
Delayman wrote:I played bass for a band quite a few years ago, direct into PA no amp, no pedals. Oh the freedom.
They probably turned you down at the desk too ;)
Hahaha

that's the great thing about bass, you can feel it through the ground when you're playing. At least the foldback was on...

Scooter13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 40 times
Been liked: 69 times

Post by Scooter13 »

Gotta have a teeny of bit distortion on the bass with a single guitar rock band. Otherwise the ass drops out when the guitarist goes and solo's.
I reckon Tube bass amps are the best at doing this, but most bassists I know can't afford those shenanigans, so revert to some sort of pedal.
(Tony's old Orange AD200 was the tits. God I'd love the bassist in my band to have one of those.)