Amp effects loop questions

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Bg
Site Admin
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Re: Amp effects loop questions

Post by Bg »

thats crazy....
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 608 times
Been liked: 946 times

Post by foal30 »

Ha ha

So I contact Ashdown through their website. But email won't send as they won't accept my serial numbers.

signs of old age are
- can't/won't understand modern music
- all manner of things will not function to a perceived level.
Genuine Old Frontier Gibberish

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

well, I'm probably the same age-ish as you and I make the magic of the internet happen. Maybe I'm just defying old age.

as for modern music, meh it all sounds the same and none of it has a proper tune you could whistle along with.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

Does your amp have an active/passive switch or different inputs? I wonder if something on your board is changing impedance or boosting a lot so the input is not handling. The other thing is does the amp have some sort of limiter?
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

Have you tried every pedal individually through the front of the amp?

If so do they all work when the effect is active and when it’s off?

How many pedals are we talking about?
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

Delayman wrote:Does your amp have an active/passive switch or different inputs? I wonder if something on your board is changing impedance or boosting a lot so the input is not handling. The other thing is does the amp have some sort of limiter?

Each have 2 inputs

High - Active bass
Low - Passive bass

No limiter or compression in the Amplifiers but I do run a compression pedal.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

sizzlingbadger wrote:Have you tried every pedal individually through the front of the amp?

1. Yes

2. Sorry I am not sure on what this question is. Do you mean switch off and bass signal still goes to amp?

3. 10 on the board at one time maximum. Powered by ModTone brick

I'm thinking it has to be an overloading or signal or impedance to the pre-amp section

Going to the effects loop misses the pre amp from the signal pathway.

At least I think so

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Delayman »

foal30 wrote:
Delayman wrote:Does your amp have an active/passive switch or different inputs? I wonder if something on your board is changing impedance or boosting a lot so the input is not handling. The other thing is does the amp have some sort of limiter?

Each have 2 inputs

High - Active bass
Low - Passive bass

No limiter or compression in the Amplifiers but I do run a compression pedal.
Have you tried the pedal board into both inputs then?
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7688 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Pedals make your signal boosted like active pickups so definitely use that input :)
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

jeremyb wrote:Pedals make your signal boosted like active pickups so definitely use that input :)
Sauce
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Delayman »

jeremyb wrote:Pedals make your signal boosted like active pickups so definitely use that input :)
That’s what I was thinking, but I would have thought the passive would still work, not just be dead.

foal30
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by foal30 »

Delayman wrote:
That’s what I was thinking, but I would have thought the passive would still work, not just be dead.
Both work fine when:

Bass-Amp or Bass-Pedal-Amp

Neither work when :

Bass-Pedal Board - Amp

In good news the Dunlop Wah I got off Timoes is fucking amazing through the front of the 300 Watt valve monster. I'm expecting a "turn that fucking thing off!" At next band practice :lol:

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Delayman »

Can you slowly “rebuild” the signal chain, first pedal by itself, then first and second, etc and then see if you can isolate which pedal or lead introduces the problem?

sizzlingbadger
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 1398 times

Post by sizzlingbadger »

foal30 wrote:
sizzlingbadger wrote:Have you tried every pedal individually through the front of the amp?

1. Yes

2. Sorry I am not sure on what this question is. Do you mean switch off and bass signal still goes to amp?

3. 10 on the board at one time maximum. Powered by ModTone brick

I'm thinking it has to be an overloading or signal or impedance to the pre-amp section

Going to the effects loop misses the pre amp from the signal pathway.

At least I think so
2, yes, stomp the pedal effect on and off, does it still work in front of the amp for every pedal in both states?

I think you you should try building up the chain of pedals one at a time and see if you can work out when the problem occurs and with which pedals. Its a pretty odd problem but there could be explanations.

The input impedance of the amp and the loop (return) are usually pretty similar on amps, around 1Mohm. The output (send) impedance of the loop is usually much lower than the instrument and can thus drive a lower impedance (tougher load), this could be why the board works in the loop only. Having said that I would expect there to be some faulty pedal or cable to cause this situation.

You said the board works in front of other amps ok, so maybe there is a DC offset from a pedal casing issues with the input on your amp. I don't know the details of your amp but a DC offset can be an issue for some solid state inputs but may be ok with a valve input. You can check for a DC offset with a multimeter be measuring the DC voltage on the end of the cable that would normally be plugged into the front of the amp (with the board powered up)
Tube amp and guitar tones straight from 1958… amazing how believable the sounds were back then, even without the modellers...

Bg
Site Admin

Post by Bg »

foal30 wrote:
Delayman wrote:
Both work fine when:

Bass-Amp or Bass-Pedal-Amp

Neither work when :

Bass-Pedal Board - Amp

In good news the Dunlop Wah I got off Timoes is fucking amazing through the front of the 300 Watt valve monster. I'm expecting a "turn that fucking thing off!" At next band practice :lol:
quite right too! I do that everytime somebody uses an autowah thingy ;)