Kris
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 124 times
Been liked: 386 times

Re: What cab next? Orange/Mesa?

Post by Kris »

im no fan of v30's generally-you dont get much of a choice though with mesa and orange?I would even venture that the cabs are pretty much interchangable in this format?
I'll be difficult and say 4x10.Had a mesa one to match my f-series and it was gr8.Also had the marshall one (1965) and it sounded hugerer than the devil.Would be aesthetically challenging though as most heads are too W I D E.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

Single coil wrote:Fuck all of that.
One of those whack ass inverted pyramid fender things from the 70s with oval speakers.

Che :cool:
Actually had something like that years ago..
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Slowy wrote:
The Scarecrow wrote:So, I'm in the market for a 2x12 cab now that I've liquidated my Stilleto as despite how great it sounds, it's just absurdly heavy (nearly 40kg) and I'd much rather a 2x12 and smaller head .

I'm after something high end, probably V30's and my current options are

1. Orange PPC 2x12
2. Mesa Recto 2x12

I've had a mesa cab before, and I know i can vouch for them, but the Orange is intriguing me at present. I play both clean clean and high gain, so would prefer one with more of a tight bottom :lol: end.

Thoughts/experiences/alternatives?

And as always, if anyone is selling either... :rofl:
You're in Auckland?
Take my THD and see if it works for you.
Don't. It's shit. ;-) [sniffin' around it m'self...]

jimi
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 836 times
Been liked: 358 times

Post by jimi »

I have a Mesa cab, 2 v30s, closed back, cover, nice removable wheels. Little over a year old so close to new condition.

Love the sound, but it's a bit directional, so I don't hear it well at gigs. think an open back like the Bognor might be a better fit for me, Could be keen on a 3way trade there.... bit on the fence about it. :?

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!

Post by The Scarecrow »

Picked up a black PPC212 today, thoughts to follow.

jaxman16
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by jaxman16 »

The Scarecrow wrote:Picked up a black PPC212 today, thoughts to follow.
Great choice man!

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!

Post by The Scarecrow »

jaxman16 wrote:
Great choice man!
Thanks, looking forward to putting it through paces at band tonight. All i can say is thank feck for having a hand truck as this is probably the biggest horizontal 2x12 i've owned.

jaxman16
Ashton
Ashton

Post by jaxman16 »

The Scarecrow wrote:
jaxman16 wrote:
Great choice man!
Thanks, looking forward to putting it through paces at band tonight. All i can say is thank feck for having a hand truck as this is probably the biggest horizontal 2x12 i've owned.
Hahaha yep, they're pretty huge cabs. I don't mind carrying mine though, compared to a 4x12.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!

Post by The Scarecrow »

Test drove last night with band. LOTS of mids, though that may be inherent from my amp, which is mid-heavy. I feel like it's perhaps not as focused sounding as the Mesa 2x12 I had, but overall 'bigger' sound and projection. Prefer my Splawn quad overall, mainly because it's tighter sounding and the x-pattern speaker mix tames the overall middy-ness. However, this does make for slightly easier transport, and still sounds at least 2/3 as huge as my quad and easily cuts above the band mix I think.

jaxman16
Ashton
Ashton

Post by jaxman16 »

The Scarecrow wrote:Test drove last night with band. LOTS of mids, though that may be inherent from my amp, which is mid-heavy. I feel like it's perhaps not as focused sounding as the Mesa 2x12 I had, but overall 'bigger' sound and projection. Prefer my Splawn quad overall, mainly because it's tighter sounding and the x-pattern speaker mix tames the overall middy-ness. However, this does make for slightly easier transport, and still sounds at least 2/3 as huge as my quad and easily cuts above the band mix I think.
Great to hear! I have the Orange coloured PPC212 and I find the same, it is very massive sounding and mid heavy. I really love it, works well with my setup as my guitar/amp is set pretty trebley/focused so the cab helps fatten it up. Definitely kicks my 4x12's arse.
Have never tried a Mesa 2x12 though, so can't compare the two.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!

Post by The Scarecrow »

jaxman16 wrote:
The Scarecrow wrote:Test drove last night with band. LOTS of mids, though that may be inherent from my amp, which is mid-heavy. I feel like it's perhaps not as focused sounding as the Mesa 2x12 I had, but overall 'bigger' sound and projection. Prefer my Splawn quad overall, mainly because it's tighter sounding and the x-pattern speaker mix tames the overall middy-ness. However, this does make for slightly easier transport, and still sounds at least 2/3 as huge as my quad and easily cuts above the band mix I think.
Great to hear! I have the Orange coloured PPC212 and I find the same, it is very massive sounding and mid heavy. I really love it, works well with my setup as my guitar/amp is set pretty trebley/focused so the cab helps fatten it up. Definitely kicks my 4x12's arse.
I think I prefer it over the Mesa, which felt a bit more compressed for some reason. This feels much more 'airy' with the same setup. Like it breathes more if that makes sense. hard to describe. I think i'll have to give it another practice and go from there.

jaxman16
Ashton
Ashton

Post by jaxman16 »

The Scarecrow wrote:
jaxman16 wrote:
I think I prefer it over the Mesa, which felt a bit more compressed for some reason. This feels much more 'airy' with the same setup. Like it breathes more if that makes sense. hard to describe. I think i'll have to give it another practice and go from there.
Yeah haha I know what you mean, it sounds pretty huge and "airy" lol.
Wicked cab imo.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!

Post by The Scarecrow »

Yeah fully agree. Would probably rate it as one of the best I've had, though the Splawn quad again is hard to beat.