3 Amp Choices. Help.

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 188 times
Been liked: 900 times

3 Amp Choices. Help.

Post by Marshmallow »

Hi All,

My mate is giving me 2 amp options to buy. A fender tweed champ (5f1 japan) with treble, bass and reverb control for $400 - a Mesa boogie studio caliber dc-2 (22w) for $650. Both are nice, Mesa works well with low volume. I’ve never tried the champ, how does it work with bedroom levels and pedals? And are they naturally warm? He only gave me today to decide lol.

Vox Ac15c1 for $300

Thanks In advance! As you can see everything is a steal haha

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Re: 3 Amp Choices. Help.

Post by willow13 »

given he seems desperate to sell then make him wait :rofl: .... no idea on which amp, it all depends on what kind of tones you are looking for. It is far better to get the amp that suits that instead of getting an amp and trying to "make it" do the tone you want
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

Haha the thing is I’ll be okay with the fender or the boogie, but just want to know if anyone’s got experience with the tweed amp as well. Yea he does sound desperate but he pushed the price really low for me hahaha

Michael
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 110 times

Post by Michael »

buy them all

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

I'd go vox. Tweed champ is a very easy build. never really liked the caliber I had. the vox is a classic.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

Hollowpoint
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 19 times

Post by Hollowpoint »

I had a dc-5 years ago that was stolen. A really great and super versatile amp. I'd totally recommend that. Not sure if the dc-2 has an eq though?

Marshmallow
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Marshmallow »

Hollowpoint wrote:I had a dc-5 years ago that was stolen. A really great and super versatile amp. I'd totally recommend that. Not sure if the dc-2 has an eq though?
Oh man sorry to hear. I heard they’re really famous for low levels too. Has headphone and recording out as well as a line out and a foot switch. Yea the dc -2 doesn’t have the graphic EQ but they have their own EQ in each channel. I tried it the other day and it sounds dead really good in low levels.
Bg wrote:I'd go vox. Tweed champ is a very easy build. never really liked the caliber I had. the vox is a classic.
Possibly. The tweed champ im looking at is for Japan only. Has a spring reverb, treble and bass control as well as a master volume haha. I was looking at Vox amps too but haven’t had the chance to play them properly but they are really loud lol. I’m only playing at low levels for the time being but would like to have the extra power.

Another thing is the DV Mark Galileo 15. 15w American type amp. But it’s a head so I’d need a cab with it.

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Buy the ac15 and the Mesa, sell the AC for $500, profit!!!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Bg
Site Admin
Has liked: 2254 times
Been liked: 3873 times

Post by Bg »

Marshmallow wrote:
Hollowpoint wrote:I had a dc-5 years ago that was stolen. A really great and super versatile amp. I'd totally recommend that. Not sure if the dc-2 has an eq though?
Oh man sorry to hear. I heard they’re really famous for low levels too. Has headphone and recording out as well as a line out and a foot switch. Yea the dc -2 doesn’t have the graphic EQ but they have their own EQ in each channel. I tried it the other day and it sounds dead really good in low levels.
Bg wrote:I'd go vox. Tweed champ is a very easy build. never really liked the caliber I had. the vox is a classic.
Possibly. The tweed champ im looking at is for Japan only. Has a spring reverb, treble and bass control as well as a master volume haha. I was looking at Vox amps too but haven’t had the chance to play them properly but they are really loud lol. I’m only playing at low levels for the time being but would like to have the extra power.

Another thing is the DV Mark Galileo 15. 15w American type amp. But it’s a head so I’d need a cab with it.
If you want low vol, and not to use pedals, then go the boogie. You'll need dirt pedals for the others.

The tweed champ is still a ridiculously easy build, and if you want dirt you're going to have to push it hard.
So, is that low alcohol or no alcohol at all? mmmm, no alcohol, do you want to try it? Noooooooooo.

willow13
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Location: If less is more then just think how much more more is
Has liked: 372 times
Been liked: 634 times

Post by willow13 »

I still say keep him waiting and he'll drop the prices more :rofl: :rofl:
If Less is More Then Just Think How Much More More would be

kwhelan
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 93 times

Post by kwhelan »

Michael wrote:buy them all
this then make your mind up, sounds like you could get your money back easily enough

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Ac15
Tweed
Mesa thing.

(In that order)
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Mini Forklift

Post by Mini Forklift »

That AC15 seems like a really good buy.

But TBH, amps are such personal things and everyone wants different things from them - go with what you gut is telling you as ultimately that's probably going to be the best decision for you.

null_pointer
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 410 times

Post by null_pointer »

Mini Forklift Ⓥ wrote:That AC15 seems like a really good buy.

But TBH, amps are such personal things and everyone wants different things from them - go with what you gut is telling you as ultimately that's probably going to be the best decision for you.
this x100000.

Never listen to people who tell you X amp is the greatest, unless you like the same types of sounds they do. I went through a ridiculous amount of cool amps for several years before realising that I was basing buying decisions on the recommendations of people who were after something totally different that I was. Part of the trick is working out what you are actually after (do you like chime? Snarl? Thick swirly goodness? Warm edge of break up?), then going from there. In the end I wanted a great warm pedal platform, so buying amps with great amp OD was a pointless waste of time for me as I used pedals off the clean and their strength never saw the light of day. And as great as Joey Landreth makes old 50s circuits sound, I don't play blues and roots music, so no point having a great tweed stack for example.
All three of those amps have a place, and different people will think different ones are better, but unless your ears line up with theirs you'll be disappointed.

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Post by mrmofo »

willow13 wrote:I still say keep him waiting and he'll drop the prices more :rofl: :rofl:
strange attitude.
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.