Tube amp techs in Auckland?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 365 times
Been liked: 135 times

Re: Tube amp techs in Auckland?

Post by mrmofo »

I`ve had Clarry, Alan and Fix It Phill work on my stuff. all three are utterly fantastic.
the amp Alan fixed a few years ago is still going great, The Eminar 120 watt Valve monster with the faders instead of pots on the front panel. pretty much brought back from the dead.
would recommend !
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

H671
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by H671 »

mrmofo wrote:I`ve had Clarry, Alan and Fix It Phill work on my stuff. all three are utterly fantastic.
the amp Alan fixed a few years ago is still going great, The Eminar 120 watt Valve monster with the faders instead of pots on the front panel. pretty much brought back from the dead.
would recommend !
I've used Fixit Phil before but he seems to have dropped off the radar.
Do you have any contact details for him?
Epiphone Riviera P93 & EJ200CE, Hagstrom Viking Bass, Doubleneck bass/guitar.
Rivera Clubster 45, Carvin AG100D, Ashton BSK158.

The Scarecrow
Dial Them Mids IN!
Has liked: 202 times
Been liked: 243 times

Post by The Scarecrow »

I've mostly dealt with Clarry over the last 10-15 years when he was in Mt Eden and now in Titirangi. Always a straight shooter and easy to deal with. Just a mission to get out to his place at times. Ryan was good when he was good, but not really an option anymore.

Also had positive dealings with Keith Prictor in Glenfield (KP Electronics) though I believe he's sadly passed away last year. :cry:

Was there a thread where we had all the tech's listed a while ago?
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Al ... 895?ref=ts

Trade Me: The_Scarecrow

"Friends don't let friends scoop mids."

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by mrmofo »

H671 wrote:
mrmofo wrote:I`ve had Clarry, Alan and Fix It Phill work on my stuff. all three are utterly fantastic.
would recommend !
I've used Fixit Phil before but he seems to have dropped off the radar.
Do you have any contact details for him?
he still has the same phone number, it`s a bit tricky getting him to answer it :)
There are still some that think the neck PU is moved to accommodate the extra frets which only proves they cannot detect the difference in length of each.

NippleWrestler
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 1064 times

Post by NippleWrestler »

The rockshop fixed my amp after clarry made it more broken. It was humming and spluttering, clarry went in and clipped out the tremolo circuit in the amp - a dual Rectifier tremoverb- for no discernible reason, even he couldn't explain why he did it.

He gave a refund but didn't fix the problem and left me with a still spluttering amp but now without the tremolo. The rockshop diagnosed the intial problem as a loose solder joint on v4 but couldn't work out how to reconnect the tremolo.

As such I can't recommend clarry to anybody I like and maybe the rockshop can help you out.

jaxman16
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by jaxman16 »

werdna wrote:Clarry has been nothing but generous with time and bang on with his work.

Clarry recommends a Gary Beatty, based in Blockhouse Bay. Any feedback on Beatty please?

By the way, I have a wireless unit for my guitar which doesn't work. Is there anyone you might recommend for this job? I bought the unit from a forum member who I won't name; he isn't one of the high volume posting regulars.
I've been to Garry in Blockhouse Bay several times, he's awesome!
Fixed my 5150 which was having tube/wiring problems I guess haha. Also fixed my mate's ancient Mesa. Awesome service and communication. Great guy, cheap prices too (don't think he charges much, just the minimum for his time).

KNNZ
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1777 times
Been liked: 667 times

Post by KNNZ »

jaxman16 wrote:
werdna wrote:Clarry has been nothing but generous with time and bang on with his work.

Clarry recommends a Gary Beatty, based in Blockhouse Bay. Any feedback on Beatty please?

By the way, I have a wireless unit for my guitar which doesn't work. Is there anyone you might recommend for this job? I bought the unit from a forum member who I won't name; he isn't one of the high volume posting regulars.
Fixed my 5150 which was having tube/wiring problems I guess haha. Also fixed my mate's ancient Mesa. Awesome service and communication. Great guy, cheap prices too (don't think he charges much, just the minimum for his time).
Can please share Garry’s contact details? Cheers

jaxman16
Ashton
Ashton
Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 14 times

Post by jaxman16 »

KNNZ wrote:
jaxman16 wrote:

Can please share Garry’s contact details? Cheers
Yeah man, his phone number is 09 627 1327. Just give him a call about your amp, he's at 15 Heaphy Street

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

17 of the most awful pizzas available are en route.
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Terexgeek
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1224 times
Been liked: 375 times

Post by Terexgeek »

Single coil wrote:17 of the most awful pizzas available are en route.
Dominos or Hell?
Tin arse!!

mrmofo
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by mrmofo »

the hell on dominion rd makes the absolute worst pizza in auckland

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

Reviving an old thread with a new question. I gave my Gallien Kruger bass amp to my son in Auckland, and it’s developed a fault. Who would you guys recommend for taking something like that to? He’s in Three Kings/Mt Roskill.

Thanks
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Delayman wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:48 pm Reviving an old thread with a new question. I gave my Gallien Kruger bass amp to my son in Auckland, and it’s developed a fault. Who would you guys recommend for taking something like that to? He’s in Three Kings/Mt Roskill.

Thanks
Maybe email these guys as they're the importer in NZ: https://musicbiz.co.nz/
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

Delayman
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 227 times

Post by Delayman »

jeremyb wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:41 pm
Delayman wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:48 pm Reviving an old thread with a new question. I gave my Gallien Kruger bass amp to my son in Auckland, and it’s developed a fault. Who would you guys recommend for taking something like that to? He’s in Three Kings/Mt Roskill.

Thanks
Nah it’s quite old, I’m sure it wouldn’t be worth going to the importer.
They keep telling me tone is in the fingers, but I have yet to see a "look at my fingers" thread.
Lawrence wrote: Every orchestra that comes thru here is a covers band as are most of the jazz bands...

H671
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 264 times

Post by H671 »

Delayman wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 11:54 am
jeremyb wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:41 pm

Thanks
Nah it’s quite old, I’m sure it wouldn’t be worth going to the importer.
You could try reading this list!

https://www.nzguitars.com/forum/viewtop ... 13&t=41696
Epiphone Riviera P93 & EJ200CE, Hagstrom Viking Bass, Doubleneck bass/guitar.
Rivera Clubster 45, Carvin AG100D, Ashton BSK158.