1W Marshall's?

Discuss the stuff that makes your ears bleed.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Re: 1W Marshall's?

Post by godgrinder »

Depth/resonance works in the NFB section of the amp, most 1-5w amps don't have that section (which is why most of them don't have presence control either).
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

Kloppsta
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 91 times

Post by Kloppsta »

griff7628 wrote:In a way I suppose it's a resonance thing. I installed one in my jet city 20 watt and I actually have to roll it back a fair bit when playing small pubs because it's too powerful at times. As the night goes on, the depth goes up haha
It increases bass, punch and transients quite a bit. Also volume goes up 15% or so, I love it. I got the schematic from a jet city modder in the states.
Funnily enough my amp has been modded to an AFD marshall with a Plexi switch that drops out a gain stage. 20 watts and it kills man. If you wanted to go down that road I can suss ya something. Its dual channel too.
hmmmm.....please sir, tell me more! which Jet City do you have? did you do the mods yourself? after buying the amp and doing the mods etc. what does it owe you all up ya reckon?
Little by little, by hook or by crook

Kloppsta
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kloppsta »

godgrinder wrote:Depth/resonance works in the NFB section of the amp, most 1-5w amps don't have that section (which is why most of them don't have presence control either).
OIC.....so the mod that griff was talking about....does that basically add in a NFB section into the amp? do you know why it is left out of low wattage amps?

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Modding a 1W amp is pure madness, and you'll end up with something that doesn't do what you want and no one will want to buy for anything like what it's cost you :(
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.

griff
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 247 times

Post by griff »

Kloppsta wrote:
griff7628 wrote:In a way I suppose it's a resonance thing. I installed one in my jet city 20 watt and I actually have to roll it back a fair bit when playing small pubs because it's too powerful at times. As the night goes on, the depth goes up haha
It increases bass, punch and transients quite a bit. Also volume goes up 15% or so, I love it. I got the schematic from a jet city modder in the states.
Funnily enough my amp has been modded to an AFD marshall with a Plexi switch that drops out a gain stage. 20 watts and it kills man. If you wanted to go down that road I can suss ya something. Its dual channel too.
hmmmm.....please sir, tell me more! which Jet City do you have? did you do the mods yourself? after buying the amp and doing the mods etc. what does it owe you all up ya reckon?
PM'd mate

Kloppsta
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kloppsta »

jeremyb wrote:Modding a 1W amp is pure madness, and you'll end up with something that doesn't do what you want and no one will want to buy for anything like what it's cost you :(
fair point....i guess the way im looking at it is, i cant do the big amp thing anymore. i want a low watt tube amp, cause ive done the digital thing many times and have come back full circle. it needs to be home/night time/sleeping kids/recording friendly. it also needs to be simple. not too many bells and whistles.

these 1W marshalls and similar low wattage amps from other brands are pretty cheap to begin with. upgrading the OT and tubes is probably a $150 exercise. so even if i sink $600 or so in buying the amp and modding it to be more align with what i like tone and feature wise, to me that is worth it. with this level of investment it is unlikely to be something i would sell anyway. if i wanted a bigger amp down the line i would still keep the small guy too.

just not sure what other options there are for my situation :(

Single coil
BANNED
Has liked: 1110 times
Been liked: 485 times

Post by Single coil »

Old valve radio with an input
Get you about 1/4 watt
werdna wrote:Well at least I can still make toast in the bath without anyone telling me it's unsafe.

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 971 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

Kloppsta wrote:
jeremyb wrote:Modding a 1W amp is pure madness, and you'll end up with something that doesn't do what you want and no one will want to buy for anything like what it's cost you :(
fair point....i guess the way im looking at it is, i cant do the big amp thing anymore. i want a low watt tube amp, cause ive done the digital thing many times and have come back full circle. it needs to be home/night time/sleeping kids/recording friendly. it also needs to be simple. not too many bells and whistles.

these 1W marshalls and similar low wattage amps from other brands are pretty cheap to begin with. upgrading the OT and tubes is probably a $150 exercise. so even if i sink $600 or so in buying the amp and modding it to be more align with what i like tone and feature wise, to me that is worth it. with this level of investment it is unlikely to be something i would sell anyway. if i wanted a bigger amp down the line i would still keep the small guy too.

just not sure what other options there are for my situation :(
Still got the knucklehead?
:mental:

Kloppsta
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kloppsta »

Olderama wrote:Still got the knucklehead?
yip still got it, sitting quietly in the corner.

Mattallica
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 558 times
Been liked: 175 times

Post by Mattallica »

Laney Ironhearts have a good master volume control but the clean channel is an afterthought

godgrinder
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 594 times

Post by godgrinder »

Kloppsta wrote:does that basically add in a NFB section into the amp? do you know why it is left out of low wattage amps?
It doesn't "add in" a NFB section, it opens up some controls on the existing NFB. IE not possible if it's not there in the first place.

1-5w amps are usually single-ended and it seems like NFB is rather uncommon on SE designs. You'd have to ask someone more technical minded on exact reasons.

Also any low end increase you have on the amp are still eventually limited by the capability/headroom of the output tubes. You won't get what you want with 1 or 5 watts (or even 20w really).

I'd recommend keeping the Rivera, you're basically chasing your own tail here. Chuck a volume pedal in the loop for night noodling.
Amps:
Soldano SLO100 x2 | Wizard MC1 & MC2 | Diezel Herbert
Fryette Pittbull CL | Marshall 2203KK | Krank Rev 50 | Mesa Mark 2A

Rack stuff:
VHT/Fryette GP3, GP/DI & 2/90/2 | Peters FSM/Chimera
Verellen Meatsmoke | Synergy SYN1 | Mesa Studio

Kloppsta
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Kloppsta »

godgrinder wrote:
Kloppsta wrote:does that basically add in a NFB section into the amp? do you know why it is left out of low wattage amps?
It doesn't "add in" a NFB section, it opens up some controls on the existing NFB. IE not possible if it's not there in the first place.

1-5w amps are usually single-ended and it seems like NFB is rather uncommon on SE designs. You'd have to ask someone more technical minded on exact reasons.

Also any low end increase you have on the amp are still eventually limited by the capability/headroom of the output tubes. You won't get what you want with 1 or 5 watts (or even 20w really).

I'd recommend keeping the Rivera, you're basically chasing your own tail here. Chuck a volume pedal in the loop for night noodling.
cheers for the info. you are probably right about keeping the Rivera.

Olderama
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 971 times
Been liked: 876 times

Post by Olderama »

Ive a Digitech GSP1010 running 4cm through my 50 watt loop and able to quieten down considerably the level without colouring the sound
:mental:

chur
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 169 times
Been liked: 210 times

Post by chur »

griff7628 wrote:Also my amp has a built power dampening dial for low volume jammin
Which of the JC's do you have?
No one ever died of hard work.. but why take the risk..

jeremyb
Chorus of Organs
Has liked: 7685 times
Been liked: 4157 times

Post by jeremyb »

Buy opsguy's katana head, bargain at $450, and does everything you need!
Slowy wrote: That's the problem; everything rewarding is just such hard work. Regret takes much less effort.