The Acoustic Guitar Thread

All things guitar, Les Pauls, Strats, Teles, Tokai, Ibanez etc. etc. etc.

Moderators: Slowy, Capt. Black

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
meble-kuchenne.warszawa.pl
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Re: The Acoustic Guitar Thread

Post by Slowy »

snitchez wrote:
Slowy wrote:.
The next rabbit hole is body size. 000's and OM's are better balanced for fingerpicking but unless you're in a studio, who cares. The solid boom and sheer power of a Rosewood Dreadnaught is a thing of beauty and very addictive. Three times over the years I went out to buy a small body/mahogany guitar to compliment my D28.
I played everything available and three times came home with a Rosewood Dreadnaught. :roll:
There's nothing better!
I’m in tht situation now. I think the lesson is to always go bigger, jumbo anyone?
The thing I'd like to explore is the 12 fret Dreadnaught. Jumbos seem to work best as big strummers. (But not much thunder)
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

snitchez
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 36 times

Post by snitchez »

Slowy wrote:
snitchez wrote:
Slowy wrote:.
The next rabbit hole is body size. 000's and OM's are better balanced for fingerpicking but unless you're in a studio, who cares. The solid boom and sheer power of a Rosewood Dreadnaught is a thing of beauty and very addictive. Three times over the years I went out to buy a small body/mahogany guitar to compliment my D28.
I played everything available and three times came home with a Rosewood Dreadnaught. :roll:
There's nothing better!
I’m in tht situation now. I think the lesson is to always go bigger, jumbo anyone?
The thing I'd like to explore is the 12 fret Dreadnaught. Jumbos seem to work best as big strummers. (But not much thunder)
Martin HD28VS. I did a sooty and missed out on one local to me. Lesson learnt, if you keep going back to try a guitar 7 times over 4 months, buy it before it’s too late.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

The Martin V series are spectacular guitars.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 2482 times
Been liked: 2794 times

Post by Molly »

Got this last week but had to wait until today to put fresh strings on and give it a clean. Found myself wanting to play it. That might sound odd but it's not always the case that I look forward to playing a particular guitar.

Martin J12-16GT.

Pic makes it look yellowy. It's not at all. Just the light in the lounge.

olegmcnoleg
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 860 times
Been liked: 741 times

Post by olegmcnoleg »

That's lovely. Looks to be in good shape too.

Slowy
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 1011 times
Been liked: 2465 times

Post by Slowy »

https://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instrum ... 679e6ab5a2

I played this in the store. Just lovely.
Beyond a critical point within a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. This is as true of humans as it is of gas molecules in a sealed flask. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who so survive.

SimonHirst
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 357 times
Been liked: 254 times

Post by SimonHirst »

Molly wrote:Got this last week but had to wait until today to put fresh strings on and give it a clean. Found myself wanting to play it. That might sound odd but it's not always the case that I look forward to playing a particular guitar.

Martin J12-16GT.

That's a beauty Molly. How does it play? It's a Martin so I'm not going to condescendingly ask if it sounds good...ha! :wink:

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

SimonHirst wrote:
Molly wrote:Got this last week but had to wait until today to put fresh strings on and give it a clean. Found myself wanting to play it. That might sound odd but it's not always the case that I look forward to playing a particular guitar.

Martin J12-16GT.

That's a beauty Molly. How does it play? It's a Martin so I'm not going to condescendingly ask if it sounds good...ha! :wink:
At first I thought the action was a bit high. Compared it to a couple of others in RS yesterday and it was much the same. Removed the Fishman yesterday that the previous owner had had fitted. He hadn't taken down the bridge to compensate so I guess that party explains the action. It's better now. All acoustics seem difficult to play to me (especially a $6k 12 fret Taylor I played yesterday...). Local builder told me acoustic instruments need to be worked and that heavier strings are a must. I can see the logic in that but I won't play it if it fights me. So I've fitted the lightest set of strings I could find and have it down a tone. To me it sounds wonderful. :-)

It's in 'good used' condition I'd say. I'm not afraid to scratch it anyway. So it's living in the lounge.

robnobcorncob
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie
Has liked: 122 times
Been liked: 103 times

Post by robnobcorncob »

Slowy wrote:https://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instrum ... 679e6ab5a2

Mmmmmm a 12 fretter! Very nice.

Molly
Vintage Post Junkie
Vintage Post Junkie

Post by Molly »

robnobcorncob wrote:
Slowy wrote:https://www.trademe.co.nz/music-instrum ... 679e6ab5a2

Mmmmmm a 12 fretter! Very nice.
Agreed. Like the way they tuck in. Want one. Tried that Godin spin-off brand (forget its name) in RS recently. About $600. Would like to find one second-hand.